The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Most spectacular vernon wand spin fail? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2010-09-09 11:09, acephale wrote:
Doing cups outside of Westlake a few years ago, with an electrical-taped 5B drumstick. I'd been going from the wand spin into an upward spinning throw kind of like Cellini's description in The Royal Touch. Right when I started the spin an absolutely beautiful woman walked by, I was watching her, not paying attention, and that wand came flying right back at me and cracked me in the eye...

Now there is a lesson and demonstration in misdirection...

I have never had trouble with either the thumb spin or the Vernon/Mora spin. For the Thumb Spin the wand has to be placed in just the right position in the fingers in direct relation to its weight and balance, as well as its length. Since each wand out there is different, it is trial and error, as well as a bit of a knack. To relate what I mean by all of that, take the following example: learn to spin a Bic-style pen around the thumb. You can spin it with the cap on either end, or without the cap at all. Any which way, the starting position of the pen changes.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I too can't even come close to masters the drummer's spin, which is funny since I've played the drums for 20 years.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I'd havekept that one quiet Andrew! Smile Interestingly it's very easy to go from the drummers spin into Vernon - Mora and vice versa which makes for quite a nice flourish.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-12 06:44, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
Interestingly it's very easy to go from the drummers spin into Vernon - Mora and vice versa which makes for quite a nice flourish.

I quite agree with that. Further, if you can roll the wand "up" your hand (kind of like a Steeplechase coin roll) starting with your pinky, segue into the Drummer Spin and straight into the Vernon/Mora spin, it looks very pretty.

I should clarify that by rolling the wand up the hand, I do mean twirling it between your fingers in an upward direction; you start with your palm facing your, pinky parallel to the ground, and twirl it up the way one would a pen or pencil.
atinczor
View Profile
Regular user
New York / Istanbul
113 Posts

Profile of atinczor
I remember learning the Drummer Spin when I was a kid at the primary school.. I learned it with a pen.. Didn't know it was called a "Drummer Spin" back then.. When I watched the Ammar C&B video, I was surprised that I saw the spin performed.. I tried it with my wand and successfully done it the first time..

I think it is one of those motorized abilities.. Just like riding a bicycle.. Once you learn it, you do not forget it.. It requires a lot of practice, though, to get the hang of it...

I am still practicing on the Vernon Spin.. I think the Vernon Spin looks better than the Drummer Spin when performed.. It looks more elegant..
Just my 2 cents..
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

When you have the vernon - Mora working atinczor, you'll be able to use them together, they work very well together! Are you learning the ball vanish too or just the flourish?

Bri
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I must be confused. I tried spinning the drum, not the stick. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 12:12, Pete Biro wrote:
I must be confused. I tried spinning the drum, not the stick. Smile

:lol: Smile

I dare say that would hurt to drop it, in more ways than one...
atinczor
View Profile
Regular user
New York / Istanbul
113 Posts

Profile of atinczor
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 10:16, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
When you have the vernon - Mora working atinczor, you'll be able to use them together, they work very well together! Are you learning the ball vanish too or just the flourish?

Bri

I am trying to learn the ball vanish with the flourish.. Timing seems to be crucial... It will take time..
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I still have a couple of the packages left if you could use the help Smile Plus you'll get the 2 bonuss effects and a solid hardwood Oak wand.

Bri
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
If you take Bri's offer, I suggest you use a cheap wand to practice with instead of the nice oak wand.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Ordinarily I would agree, however the way it's taught in the workshop book I don't forsee any damage to wands or people and it really is very easy to get to grips with Smile

Bri
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I just received in the mail Bri’s (Brian Watson) latest work “The Vernon-Mora Wand Spin Workshop.” I have to say very impressive... Bri has written a well produced book with clear instructions and photos galore; also included is a 12” oak magic wand and a rubber ball to practice the drop.

In all fairness I must say that Bri is a great friend on a personal and magical level, what I am about to write has not been swayed one way or the other by our friendship.

I have never quite mastered the Vernon-Mora wand spin... I learn better from books than from videos, maybe it’s because I like to relax and listen to music while practicing. I do have the book “The Dai Vernon Book of Magic” and find its description of the wand move to be a little lacking. Looking at Bri’s book I am encouraged with 53 pages and 76 clear photos on the wand spin (the book is 68 pages long featuring some bonus material).

Good job Bri... I can’t wait to dedicate some time to your workshop!

I own many books on magic and can easily spot what is worthwhile... IMHO, I believe that “The Vernon-Mora Wand Spin Workshop.” will be a respected piece of work in the world of Cups and Balls; I suggest that you get a copy while they are available.

Thanks,
Bruce
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Bruce,

Thank you for your kind words. I have been getting a lot of positive feedback on this project from many people, it seems to have been very well received indeed!

Bri
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I also first learned to do the spin with a pen, it is much harder with a pen. The weight of a wand seems to make this easier. Maybe those having trouble will suffer fewer injuries and break things less if you practice with a pen first!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 20:46, scott0819 wrote:
I also first learned to do the spin with a pen, it is much harder with a pen. The weight of a wand seems to make this easier. Maybe those having trouble will suffer fewer injuries and break things less if you practice with a pen first!

That may be true, but even then, until you get the knack down with a pen, the weight and balance of the pen matters too. When you get the knack part of it, you can do it with any pen you pick up.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Lol, Scott, if he uses my workhop book there will be no injuries or breakages!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Most spectacular vernon wand spin fail? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL