The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Close-up acts wanted for show. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
We are producing a show with close-up magic performers. The contract will be approximately 3 to 6 months doing nightly shows in a 100 seat venue.

There is pay.

Please send a link to your video or PM with info.

What we are looking for:
*Ages 25 to 35 (or at least look that age)
*Good looking/sexy appearance
*Physically fit
*18 minutes of strong, entertaining magic
*Originality is important
*Individual style is important
*Looking specifically for: Card Throwing, Dan & Dave style flourishing, "not boring" mentalism, comedy magic (very strong magic & funny, not "magic goes wrong" funny)
*Ability to sing or play musical instrument is also a plus
*You must be able to take notes from a director, learn a script, and learn two choreographed magic routines for the opening and closing of the show.

Send your bio & video link to:
Charles Bach Wonders
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
*Good looking/sexy appearance

Man, I was with you till that.

Always a risk looking for a replacement you don't know, but I think it'd be worth while for networking purposes. Certainly would fit with the Café's motto of magicians helping magicians.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I can do all of that (though the looks might be debatable). I am a musician, am formally trained as an actor specializing in accents.

But this whole Dan and Dave XCM approach? God bless the Buck Twins for their efforts, but, why not hire some KILLER jugglers and contact jugglers, and some great comedy magic?

Also, I wonder about the wisdom of doing a flat out "comedy magic" type show. The BEST comedies are so because they allow for dramatic moments (Think M*A*S*H*). On the flip side, dramas need comedic relief to enhance the dramatic impact; even Schindler's List had a few comedic moments.

Break a leg though Charles, to you and your troupe!!

Namaste,
Vlad
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Although your location says that you're in Las Vegas, it would be helpful if, somewhere in the request, you specified where the performers will be performing (at least the city and state).
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I'd do it but I'm too old, too funny, not too sexy, don't even have a speedo and I work too much as is. Plus I knew of you from your early Collinsville days in dance. Good luck & nice to see you making this offer on the Café. Young guys should jump at it. Darn I better tell my son about it, but he is already doing 7 nights a week. Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
You know even strip clubs often advertise 60 beautiful women and a couple ugly ones. Maybe we need affirmative action for old/ugly guys.

Gil
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Wonder why no one is jumping on this. Where are the wonder workers? I guess there are drawbacks to everything. Hope it works out for someone.
Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
The "good looking/sexy appearance," along with a lack of location, turns me off to it. If it's a Vegas act looking for showgirls, that's one thing, but if you're looking for strong magic, a 'sexy appearance' shouldn't be in the job description. This just leads me to believe that the magic is secondary to the actual appearance of the performers. That and asking for an original style, and then asking for Dan and Dave styles of flourishing, is kind of contradictory.
Plus I'm not good looking.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
As Andrewzuber said.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I personally enjoy "there is pay"

As thought that is an afterthought. And as was mentioned above, there is no location...

J
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Ouch! No room for an old ugly boring mentalist like me. LOL
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
If you're not old and boring yet, just keep working on your magic a few more years. You'll get there.

I know I did!

Spike
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
Hello fellow magi. Let me help to clarify a few details that have been asked.

I realize that many of the magicians on here are not familiar with standard audition notices. It is very common to ask actors to perform for free in exchange for a video or credit from a show. "There is Pay" is the normal way of showing in an audition notice that it is a professional, paying job.

The "look" of the performer is a very important element of this show specifically as is the strength of the magic & originality. Beyond that, we need a strong personality that can match the strength of seasoned professionals working side by side. We are looking for the next James Bonds/Rat Pack of magic.

Regarding location, the show is planning to run in a couple of cities in the US and settle into our own venue for the longer run. Expenses are covered.

I wish all the magicians here success in whatever they do. For this show, we are looking for some very specific looks and talent. If you fit these elements, please pass on your information and we'll let you know if we are interested.

Thanks,
Charles Bach
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Charles,

I am well aware of audition notices and in fact practically every step in the process from initial calls to actual performance.

My ONLY issue was the strict limitation on the XCM stuff. "Throwing cards" is a nice ancilliary to to magic, and may greats have done it going back to Thurston and to the present day, but, scaling cards on its own is a display of skill, that, while fascinating and even thrilling, is still bereft of the beauty and mystery of magic.

Sybil cuts only "play" for so long. It seems to me - and again, I wish a hearty break a leg - that you are buying into the magician as rock star craze. Being a rock musician I can tell you that I think the faux tough guy nonsense mucking about with a pack of cards in obliterated rail yard and sets that consist of some leather clad tough guy is getting to be old hat.

Instead of XCM, again, why not get a really good contact juggler or toss juggler? How about performers who handle Diabolos and Devil Sticks all in tandem.

I am NOT boasting, but, I have more practical large scale performing experience in ENTERTAINMENT than most magicians. I have done summer stock, improv, live music for audiences in excess of 20,000 people MANY times, long run theatrical productions as both a performer and a tech, and of course 20 years as a magician.

As to looks, again, why play into this nonsense? Is this "Up with People" 2010 style with XCM inanity? Bill Malone for instance could ROCK an audience yet, a younger person with Malone's chops AND comedic timing would not meet your criteria because he is not the flavor of the month. Does a female magician HAVE to be as hot as Salma Hayek or Kate Beckinsale? What are you selling, looks or ENTERTAINMENT?

I respect that you are a pro, Charles, but, there ARE other pros that are taking issue with your descriptions. Actually, it is not a very good casting call. "Good looking" is really not a complete set of parameters for casting as you well know.

You are, in my opinion as a person who HAS performed in may areas of show business, not just magic - severely limiting your own vision.

I can see it all now: eye candy that cut cards and throw them in interesting ways. Tickets available online at Ticket Master!

That being said, I do hope you are successful. When more people are working -especially in these challenging economic times - it benefits EVERYONE. I WANT people to be following their bliss. But again, it seems to me that all the talent in the world, including musical instrument proficiency, a good singing voice, impeccable comedic timing, and the professionalism required of a real trouper STILL would not land the job.

I respectfully submit that perhaps you should consider that there are MANY pros here who would be invaluable to your endeavor, but your selling of meat as entertainment feeds into every bad aspect of show business there is.

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: Again, I DO hope you are WILDLY successful!! I say this genuinely. Break a leg!!
zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
It seems to me that the guy just has an ideal look in mind for a certain type of show and wants to fill that look as best as possible. like in a regular casting call.. they ask for specific looks in their actors. this seems no different to me. I don't get all of the hate. not every person can attend every casting call. they just arent for everyone.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
I can guarantee the act.....Budget?
Ted L
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 20:43, zaki_rafih99 wrote:
It seems to me that the guy just has an ideal look in mind for a certain type of show and wants to fill that look as best as possible. like in a regular casting call.. they ask for specific looks in their actors. this seems no different to me. I don't get all of the hate. not every person can attend every casting call. they just arent for everyone.

Zaki,

If you read at least my posts, there is no "hate." My ONLY real issue is the XCM nonsense. Yes, it is nonsense.

In fact, I haven't seen ANY hate by ANYONE in this thread. Hate is persecuting and killing someone for her/his beliefs and/or ethnicity.

I AM tempted to audition for this, but, depending on the looks thing - it is working VERY well for me as a rock musician in ways I cannot say in an open forum - I do NOT do card juggling, so, my audition would be flatly rejected. I am a singer, a pianist/keyboardist, formally trained actor, a juggler, a contact juggler, can do a Diabolo, the Sticks, knives, Republicans, you name it.

AND ....
I have wished Charles a HEARTY break a leg. Do I feel that this is a meat show? Yes I do. BUT, meat sells and people DO buy.

AND ...

What I said about what works as a musician is NOT my intent. My intent is for people to love the MUSIC, to FEEL it, to allow themselves the emotional hook. This show is carbon-copy Vegas schtick, at least according to this casting call. Schtick works too, but not everyone wants to DO schtick.

Zaki, I speak the truth when I say I am a seasoned trouper and actor and entertainer. I HAVE been around the business, and in fact have met with and kept in touch with some of the biggest names in music. My "education" in show business has been old school. I HAVE played in bars like the one you see in the Blues Brothers movie. I KNOW what it is like to walk into that proverbial greasy spoon at four in the morning while people STARE. I have done 16 hour stretches in recording studios. I have done summer stock where you do a two week run of Godspell while ALSO rehearsing for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. You close the first show, strike the set, and hit the next run. I've done circus short hops; try it sometime. Smile

I am not saying this to brag; for there is nothing to brag ABOUT. I am saying this to put my perspective as a seasoned entertainer out there. I paid my dues and continue to do so. I LOVE magic. I love to be entertained. I love when a magician mercilessly fries me. Buck card jugglery is about as magical as a root canal - to ME. To others, it is wonderful; different strokes you know?

So Zaki, there is NO hate here. You DO understand that "break a leg" is a GOOD thing to wish performers?

Vlad
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Vlad I always enjoy your posts, you seem like a very kind person. I just wanted to resond to your post. I respect your opinion though, and I understand many of you arguments. Here's my take though, with repect.

I for one am impressed by bold move to put XCM on stage. I agree that if you have a whole load of it it gets dry. I also agree that there are so many people on youtube who can only perform their act on camera. That is a shame and these kids are getting into some bad habits.
That being said XCM can be considered as juggling but it wouldn't feel corny being placed into a magic show. XCM is a very contempory looking act. Lay people haven't seem it too much and I've never seen it on stage. They are probably looking for a show that will play for the young adult/ teenage croud. It is unique and new and people want to see that new cool thing.
XCM would play well on stage because it is not dangerous (Unless you shoot cards at the crowd rather than to the crowd), it can be choreographed to music, it packs light, it is inexpensive, it has had little exposure in a laymans eyes.
Magicians need to give it a chance because, it can have the class of a mock gambling demo, it shows just as much as a gambling demo does (skill with cards), it may take the skill of the silent manipulation act, and it was inspired by the likes of Erdnase, Thurston, Jeff McBride, and Chris Kenner. Good company for any magician to hang arround.
I don't mean to be rude at all Vlad but I think that it is a good idea. I don't necessarily love XCM but I do think it should take an honorable place in todays magic.
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
PM Sent (and email)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Close-up acts wanted for show. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL