We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Friday (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
In more than a decade has made only
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Well spoken, Steve.

I believe I owe you a deck of cards, old friend.

- Sj
I make the invisible thread reel that works.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
I am content with The Magic Café, although as one of my suppliers I will also support Murphys efforts.

Collecting data, and personal information for any company is key to growth. So while their site is being promoted as a resource to benefit the magic community as a whole, It's obvious that a greater benefit is being served to Murphy's Magic.

Just a side note, I owe Sj above me a debt of gratitude for spawning my interest in Magic 21+ years ago. He has a great store in Carmichael if ever in Sacramento pop in. I remember your first location on San Juan, Steve. Seems like yesterday, time flys my old friend...

- Jason
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
danatasmagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of danatasmagic
Quote:
On 2010-09-14 21:01, Steve Landavazo wrote:
I've got to chime in here and just say nothing on the internet today has the same feel and warmth as the Magic Café!

I have gained close friends and have laughed many times here. It's fun to have other sites to reference, but The Magic Café' will always be my favorite resource to learn and build friendships!

Nothing wrong with that at all, & I am sure the exact same thing is happening over on the Murphy's Community Website.

All good wishes

Mike Danata
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
After all the hype all I can see is a on line magic supermarket with a few bells and whistles. Hardly redefining magic, rather a commercial ploy to create brand advocacy for a number of companies. They're hardly doing it from the heart for the good of magic, rather the good of their bottom lines. Very disappointing, Sheesh!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Nice to see some honesty finally.

This is hardly newsworthy, and Murphy's needs to understand (but doesn't) that warehousing magic is simply a business model (which is fine), not magics grail.
danatasmagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of danatasmagic
Please remember it is early days regarding how this goes. I still truly believe that IT IS NOT "All about Murphy's" I actually think it's about ALL OF US! The buyers, the sellers, "THE COMMUNITY" as a whole, we all NEED EACH OTHER!

Even on this site we have had some "Names" requesting help from fellow members because of extreme financial difficulty, (they are not alone!!!) Something needed to be done, & it needed to be radical.

I'm pasting in a very long post that I put up on TalkMagic in the U.K. & this is how I truly feel! Here goes:

"I actually like it! (ref the Murphy's Community Website) REALLY REALLY like it, allow me to explain..............

Firstly Magic Shops are closing down (as in going out of business) all over the world. Small business's (like mine) cannot compete with many of the big online company's. I have a Brick & Mortar shop (as many of you know). I don't have ANY budget for advertising, & I don't really believe that it works anyway, (maybe it would if I spent £1000's which I simply haven't got). Besides it's not really about simply advertising the products anymore, there's much more to it than that.

Magic has stagnated as far as the public is concerned AND within our own community also!

I cannot go on a forum like this & BLATANTLY advertise products (I'm NOT SUGGESTING that I should be able to, because this is NOT the right place to do it) BUT IF someone goes on & reviews something they purchased from me, I may get a mention, & as I check my statistics for my website visits, I will notice an increase in traffic coming from this or other forums that mention me, (I don't always notice an increase in orders or visitors to the shop though!) If someone does start a thread & I (or a product from me) gets a mention etc, I will of course pipe in! & my www. will appear at the bottom of my post, & because of that I MIGHT get someone click the link & go to my website, & they MIGHT purchase something, (at least that's the hope!!).

In my defence however (!) I have contributed to ALL the forums (& Magicweek, which of course isn't a forum as such) I've written up reviews etc etc, so I don't feel so guilty regarding the odd plug !!!

I joined Facebook & Twitter etc, but never really understood the concept, & never really did much on it to be honest, also I have to close down my outlook express on the computer to open up Facebook or whatever, & it's time consuming, then you get all this "I want to be your friend" nonsense........ Mostly hookers I think, sexy pictures that would accompany the invitations!

When on the community forum, anything you want can instantly transfer to Facebook/Twitter etc. so you don't have to build up all the other sites, it's done for you direct from the Murphy's Site IF YOU WANT IT TO!

Now I can upload videos (or transfer from you tube etc) onto the Community Forum, & they might end up being a "Featured" video (dependant on the no of views they get plus comments etc) it's quite fun, & very competitive! The people who were interested in my videos/products might become friends, & when I upload a new video they will get a notification, telling them so.

Now you don't have to watch or read anything on the website, but it's there if you want to. You can even cancel the notifications.

Youtube is great, but you have to wade your way through all the garbage of spotty kids exposing things they can't even do! to find the decent stuff, OR you discover things by accident. Over a period of time, I think all the magic related stuff will end up on Murphy's anyway, so you won't have to hunt for it!!

The website can become FOR YOU whatever you want it to become.

It's easy to despise the advertisers or people plugging their products, but they are producing the products for the community & to earn a living, which is getting more & more difficult!!!

I keep a shop open for very few people to walk through the doors, I am here from 8am 7pm & answer emails often through the night. Please don't despise me or others for offering a service that so few people seem to want or appreciate!

Murphy's are at least trying to do something. Murphy's mission is to Make Magic Go "VIRAL", to get MORE people INTERESTED in Magic & BUILD the community, rather than merely embrace a DWINDLING community.

We need MORE customers, we NEED more interest in the creativity of Magic. We need more NEW & INTERESTING people to attend all the various conventions etc.

Of course I get a handful of new "Virgin Customers" every few weeks, it's wonderful when they know nothing about magic, & they APPRECIATE every trick I dem for them. Give them a few months after they have joined the local Magic Club & learnt many of the BASIC principles of magic, & it's a different story! You get half way through a trick & all you get is "Rough & Smooth!" "TT!" etc etc, & the magic is gone!!!

We also have to compete with DVD libraries within the clubs, MOST DVDS state "Not For Hire or Loan" etc plus books get loaned out, & then you've got magicians showing each other tricks, & another one viewing it that asks "Where did you get that from, to the reply of "Oh no, don't buy it, I'll show you how it's done & you can make one up yourself!.............

These forums (not just this one, but all of them) have the same names contributing ALL THE TIME! New ones join & many of them NEVER contribute. With the Murphy's concept people WILL contribute (because it's fun!!), the community will grow, & because of the very Pro Active Concept they have adopted, they may eventually find there way here & be AS pro active here on this site as well!!

This post is purely opinion based ON MY VIEW, as a dealer, struggling to survive in the present economical climate, & states why FOR ME the Murphy's Community Website is a good thing. I feel that it may be a good thing for others, but maybe for VERY DIFFERENT reasons to the ones that I am stating!

Incidentally I would like to SINCERELY thank Talk Magic for NOT pulling my original post on this subject matter, like one of the other U.K. forums did! (which was AFTER one of the Mods added a negative response to the original post) , & then deleted the whole thing sometime later!! Explaining in a private message "Gone because it's advertising!!"

All the best

Mike Danata
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
Has this site increased your sales (just curious)? I think what turned me off was how it was built up as the most ground breaking thing ever.
danatasmagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of danatasmagic
Good question! & I will answer honestly:

I have spent hours & hours transferring videos over to the site (been up past 3am several nights!) Much of what I have uploaded has been demos of tricks I sell, & much of it has been "General Interest" video footage, I've also started a blog (something I've never done before!). I am (at this stage), more interested in PROFILING my name, than selling products, (that can come later). Mike Danata is my "Trade Name" if you like, products are just products. I want the Magic World to be interested in me as a person (Murphy's Site allows me to do that easier & quicker than any other), if I can get you interested in ME as a person, you might be interested in my products. I don't want to be "Just Another Magic Dealer" because I am not just that, there is much more to me than that, even a google search on my name would prove that!!

Back to your original question though:

I've actually sold two items (BEFORE I even had much content on the site) & these items were sold because they were being promoted by every other magic dealer on the site!!! One of my customers emailed me to ask if I had the products (not yet on my website) I had them in stock, my customer purchased from me!

My customer would not have known about the product, if she had not seen it on the Murphy's site!!!!! so yes I have made INDIRECT sales.

The items in question are not even available through MURPHY'S so they won't be generating any sales themselves from it!!

Long term of course, Murphy's will benefit from all of this, because although not everything comes from them, a lot of it does!!!

Through their website, they are generating NEW customers, FOR THEM & US, not just servicing the customers who are already there! They are really doing something to make a difference, & I applaud them 100% on this................ I totally get what they are trying to do (& to be 100% honest, I didn't "Get It" straight away!)

There has been a bit of interest on the Murphy's Community Site regarding my R.D.R. Deck & someone has emailed me to say that they will make a purchase over the phone today, so that's another sale............. this time a DIRECT sale, because I mentioned it in my Blog!!

You can of course check out the R.D.R. deck on this & other sites, but with other sites, I don't get the platform to actively PROMOTE a really great product myself, like I can on the Murphy's Site.

All I can do is sit back & wait a hundred years for someone to review it, & then thank them for the review!! (& get my www. at the bottom of my reply!) & hope to get some sort of response & generate a few sales. I sell the R.D.R. Deck on nearly every dem in the shop, but now get very few customers actually through the door to show it to!!!

I have no budget for advertising, run the business totally on my own, I DO everything myself, from taking the orders, packaging the orders, demming to customers when they do call in. I'm here from 8am - 7pm & live above the shop, & sometimes been in the shop with customers at midnight!! (I even cooked a meal for one customer, because he turned up at 7pm (when I was about to close!) having been held up in traffic on the way from Surrey!

We have become very good friends ever since, in fact only last night I went out for a meal with him & his wife! (These sort of friendships ARE NOT developed over the Internet, IN MY OPINION).

I could go on, but I've got a couple of orders to send out today, & a Blog to continue over on Murphy's.................

But yes I have made sales, & as the community grows (& I contribute to it). I think I'll make more!

All good wishes

Mike Danata

http://www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk
swifthand
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swifthand
I don't get it at all? Magicians.com have been doing a site like this for years as has a number of other sites. You can compete with the power of Facebook and Youtube, I am not sure it is a good idea that a wholesaler is funding this either a bit big brother like, with all the data collection of potential customer. I can't see how it is any good for the main dealers either and all the dealers are in one place? hmm... not sure about this... definitely shouldn't have created so much hype over this... nothing groundbreaking... some on Murphys do something groundbreaking!!!
MistressOfCeremonies
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MistressOfCeremonies
What happened to all the pictures? I did enjoy the slideshows.
danatasmagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of danatasmagic
Quote:
On 2010-09-27 11:08, MistressOfCeremonies wrote:
What happened to all the pictures? I did enjoy the slideshows.

I guess they are tweeking it all the time, I enjoyed the slideshows as well, & the main page has changed. I got used to it, now I'm starting all over again!!!

All the best!

Mike Danata
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
My pictures were completely removed from my own profile? And the option to add photos - Gone! Did this happen to anyone else?
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
magicgoneviral
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of magicgoneviral
Hmm.... I do know the theme changed for Halloween and some features (like the sideshow Mike referenced above) were added back to the 'Main Page' per member requests.

I'm not really sure about the missing photo issue. Looking at your wall:

http://murphysmagiccommunity.com/profile/NexusMagicStore

I can see your photos.

If you do have an issue will your wall, I'd report it here:

http://murphysmagiccommunity.com/main/index/feedback
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Friday (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL