The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Burning Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
People have long done this and people have long got upset about it.

I don't personally have any inclination to burn anyones book, or spit on any of them or perform any other degradation beyond mocking what I regard as silly, if sometimes well intentioned, superstition.

And I do believe it is the democratic right of people to do those things I choose not to.

But what is more important - the physical book - or the message it contains?
I would have assumed too high a regard for the actual book to be idolatry and that mocking the content - the sacred message - to be far more sacriligious than merely destroying the actual book.

I speak of no particular religion as they all cherish their own story and are all offended by attacks on it - some obviously more than others.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup....I think everyone in this case is nuts...the burnies and the gnashers.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Amusingly, the guy who's made the news with his upcoming book burning leads a religious flock of--wait for it--50 faithful. He's sucked millions into following his message one way or the other.

I'd like to say that as protests go, his is a barely articulate grunt. But I can't. It's a grunt that is being noticed by millions. And talked about. And understood. And that's probably good.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 09:12, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Amusingly, the guy who's made the news with his upcoming book burning leads a religious flock of--wait for it--50 faithful. He's sucked millions into following his message one way or the other.

I'd like to say that as protests go, his is a barely articulate grunt. But I can't. It's a grunt that is being noticed by millions. And talked about. And understood. And that's probably good.

John

Some people can grunt pretty loud I guess.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
People can do as they please, but I feel there is no better way to make one look more ignorant than to burn a book they disagree with. Same with banning a book. I still laugh at the idea that schools would find Catcher in the Rye offensive enough to ban. Or Harry Potter. Or the Bible, Koran, or any other religious text.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I like the idea of taking that list floating around of "Books most often banned" and making it required reading for my son. When he's a little older, of course.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Amusingly, the guy who's made the news with his upcoming book burning ...

I'm not anti-gun by any means, but I was amused and surprised to read that this Pastor totes a handgun around with him.

I also read that the (Canadian!) bank that holds the mortgage on his church property has demanded full payment of the $140,000 still owed.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Book burning in general held more power when books were tougher to get and prior to the advent of the internet. Generally book burning has become more of a symbol than anything.

This is the precice problem that we run into here is that it is the "symbol" here that will cause most offense, not the "loss of knowlege". When the Spanish burnt all the Myan books we lost a whole civilization. It was tragic. If this guy does what he plans we have no such loss, but it is more of an attack on another faith.

John, you miss the point having only 50 now does not mean that he will not rally many to the cause, that is what makes it dangerous.

I happen to think he has the right, (which is obvious) but it is unnecessarily provocative.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 10:51, Dannydoyle wrote:

John, you miss the point having only 50 now does not mean that he will not rally many to the cause, that is what makes it dangerous.

That was my point.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
"The mouse that roared" is about a very small country that declared war on the US in hopes that they would loose, and qualify for aid.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
He carries around a gun, and is a man of god. Total whackjob, no question about it. Regardless of the pastor thing, who carries a gun?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Regardless of paster or gun, who is that deliberatly provocative?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I don't get what you are saying... What is up with the spelling?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 10:44, balducci wrote:
Quote:

Amusingly, the guy who's made the news with his upcoming book burning ...

I'm not anti-gun by any means, but I was amused and surprised to read that this Pastor totes a handgun around with him.

I also read that the (Canadian!) bank that holds the mortgage on his church property has demanded full payment of the $140,000 still owed.

Lol, that's awesome. Assuming they are allowed to do this per what ever agreement he made when he got the mortgage, I fully support this.

Don't like what' someone's doing, you don't have to lock them up, just bring your business/association with them to and end.

Now, how about instead of a book burning for things you disagree with, how about a book READING?
How about you go get a bunch of people who dislike the same books, and organize a reading group. Learn a bit more about what you apparently hate. Then, when you're done reading them, burn away.

I'm not saying they won't have dislike for the book when they are done, but at least they'll know what they are actually burning, not just what they've been told they are burning.

Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
This "Pastor" and his call for burning the Quran reminds of two different things said about similar issues.

I forgot how many years ago, five or six maybe, Georgia Secretary of Education Cathy Cox said in reference to a Georgia county burning books they considered bad,
"I saw and am very intimate with their test scores, they need to be reading those books rather than burning them.

Then there was Ozzy Osbourne who once quipped how he felt about religious groups burning hi albums, "Doesn't bother me, they have to but them first."

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I say burning it is his 15 minutes of fame... For that very reason, he might well go through with it imo...

The sad thing is that it helps nothing. Other than himself. If even that in the long run...

Think about it, what does it do other than harm?

Here's one to free speech...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 15:13, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I say burning it is his 15 minutes of fame... For that very reason, he might well go through with it imo...

The sad thing is that it helps nothing. Other than himself. If even that in the long run...

How does it even do harm?

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 15:19, gdw wrote:
Quote:

If it happens, just wait for the killing to start. I am serious. No joke.

They killed people for Cartoons, this is the Holy Book.

I hope I am wrong but history has shown otherwise... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Any publicity is good publicity, as long as they spell your name right.

And on the subject of names, could here be a more ironically titled organisation?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 15:24, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 15:19, gdw wrote:
Quote:

If it happens, just wait for the killing to start. I am serious. No joke.

They killed people for Cartoons, this is the Holy Book.

I hope I am wrong but history has shown otherwise... Smile

Oh, I will not be surprised, but the book burning is not the thing doing the harm then. You can't defer responsibility for he actions of those doing the killing.
I'm sure you don't, but to say that it will do harm shifts the burden, and is exactly the reasoning used to censor free speech.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Burning Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL