The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Burning Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 00:24, Dannydoyle wrote:
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/ground-zero......ialogue/

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/0......-remarks

Just some of what the peace nick has said.

Did you miss my earlier post? It's hard to believe that he does not believe in religious dialogue (as your first link claims), considering his activities building bridges immediately after and since 9/11.

I think it is more likely Pajamas and FoxNews is misquoting or taking something out of context. As the article at your second link says,

"I would just caution any of you that choose to write on this that once again you have a case where a blogger has pulled out one passage from a very lengthy speech, if you read the entire speech, you will discover exactly why we think he is rightfully participating in this international speaking tour."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100904/ts_csm/322561_1

New York – A week after 9/11, Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam of a mosque close to the still-smoldering World Trade Center ruins, invited other religious leaders to his regular prayer service. He was trying to show that Islam is a welcoming faith, not an angry one.

"It was his attempt to show hospitality to New York," recalls Matthew Weiner, who is Jewish and was at the service that day. "That vision is kind of what led to Cordoba House “the idea of creating a space for Muslims that showed hospitality to others," says Mr. Weiner, who is the director of programs at the Interfaith Center of New York.

After some stints teaching and working for a real estate investment company, he explored Sufism, a Muslim tradition known for mysticism. In 1983, he started leading prayer services at his mosque near the World Trade Center, in the TriBeCa neighborhood. Since then, he has been sought after by a number of national and global organizations to lend a reasoned Islamic voice on various issues.

Three times in the past three years, the US State Department has sent Rauf abroad to explain how Islam is viewed in America. Through part of September, he is on one of those tours and was unavailable to be interviewed.

"His work on tolerance and religious diversity is well known, and he brings a moderate perspective to foreign audiences on what it's like to be a practicing Muslim in the United States," said State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley.

To some people who know Rauf personally and have listened to his sermons, the depictions of him as a radical are almost laughable. One of these people is Rosemary Hicks, who just completed her doctorate in religion at Columbia University.

Ms. Hicks first heard Rauf at Manhattan's Riverside Church, where he described how the American Judeo-Christian heritage is actually a trifold Abrahamic one that includes Muslims. As part of her dissertation's exploration of this theme, she spent hours at his Friday prayer services and did a long interview with both him and his wife.

She describes him as very "pro-business, pro-development." And, she says, he is "constantly, constantly" describing to Muslims how they can live as Americans and "emphasizing that there are more freedoms here than anywhere else."

As further proof that America is good for Muslims, she says, he frequently brings up the Declaration of Independence, which he says echoes the themes of "right living under God's guidance."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20523 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea only those who disagree with what YOU say take things out of context I keep forgetting.

Man I gotta remember that.

Oh and I was just posting it, I didn't say anything about it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Don't forget the Unabomber, now that McVeigh's been brought up.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just posting. Got it.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
This country was founded on freedom of religion. Some, such as myself have chosen freedom FROM religion. I'm an atheist, and proud of it. I neither believe in, nor worship God, Allah, or Jehovah. But I certainly do not condone the buring of any text that is considered holy. The tragedies of Sept. 11, 2001 were carried out by wacko religious extremists. When your religion is right and they're wrong, and you want to get their attention by burning their holy book, you have become.....a wacko religious extremist.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Right Lobo. All men with beards should vacate the premises near the sites of Ted's victims' deaths, out of respect for those victims. Not that they should be forced to, by the law.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-09-09 17:11, Scott Cram wrote:
BREAKING: Gainesville Pastor Cancels Koran Burning

AS I PREDICTED!! Randi, where is my million bucks??
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 00:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Don't forget the Unabomber, now that McVeigh's been brought up.

Speaking of Timmy, I wonder if there is a church anywhere near the federal building in Oaklahoma?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Let's be honest...does anyone here doubt the extremist related to Islam need any motivation? There are people, a lot of them, that are ready, willing, and able to kill over cartoons and comics. Nothing anyone does who isn't in their club ain't going to make them happy. If we pulled every American out of the region they would just do a call to bring the battle here. So everyone mellow out, ain't no appeasing that gonna happen.

More quotes!

No people in history have ever survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves inoffensive to their enemies. Dean Acheson

I seem to smell the stench of appeasement in the air. Margaret Thatcher

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. Winston Churchill.

No man can tame a tiger into a kitten by stroking it. There can be no appeasement with ruthlessness. There can be no reasoning with an incendiary bomb. Franklin D Roosevelt

The idea of reasoning with terrorists without force or with appeasement is naive, and I think it's dangerous.
George Allen

Here are a bunch of way cool Churchill quotes....you can tell he was an American-British person

Appeasers believe that if you keep on throwing steaks to a tiger, the tiger will become a vegetarian. Heywood Broun

The one sure way to conciliate a tiger is to allow oneself to be devoured. Konrad Adenauer

You may gain temporary appeasement by a policy of concession to violence, but you do not gain lasting peace that way. Anthony Eden

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/845063/posts
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Why do some people think a couple twisted guys like McVie (so) is the same as a few hundred thousand people ready to commit murder in the name of their twister perception of religion?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 00:56, pepka wrote:
This country was founded on freedom of religion. Some, such as myself have chosen freedom FROM religion. I'm an atheist, and proud of it. I neither believe in, nor worship God, Allah, or Jehovah. But I certainly do not condone the buring of any text that is considered holy. The tragedies of Sept. 11, 2001 were carried out by wacko religious extremists. When your religion is right and they're wrong, and you want to get their attention by burning their holy book, you have become.....a wacko religious extremist.

Personally, while categories may be broad, I'd probably use different terms to distinguish between someone who burns books and someone who intentionally flies airplanes into occupied buildings. But that's just me.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 00:57, landmark wrote:
Right Lobo. All men with beards should vacate the premises near the sites of Ted's victims' deaths, out of respect for those victims. Not that they should be forced to, by the law.

Or perhaps one of those close to Bin Laden should turn him in so he could be prosecuted by his countrymen, as Kaszynski's brother did.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 01:07, kcg5 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-09 17:11, Scott Cram wrote:
BREAKING: Gainesville Pastor Cancels Koran Burning

AS I PREDICTED!! Randi, where is my million bucks??

Don't spend it yet, Kreskin.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americ......578.html

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Fun fact:
The "evil madman" funding the mosque who Fox news has condemned for funding terrorism but refuses to name? Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal who (wait for it) owns more stock in Fox than anyone outside the Murdoch family. That's probably why they never actually said who he is.
Here he is with his business partner, Rupert Murdoch:

Also, the Hiroshima analogy doesn't make any sense. An American flag would be a more accurate comparison than a bomb. And since we built military bases and, you know, occupied Japan... we kind of did that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
The kicker story?

Bibles were BURNED by our own US troops:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/......oye.html

HH
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 02:28, Happy Hank wrote:
The kicker story?

Bibles were BURNED by our own US troops:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/......oye.html

HH

Well, why not? It's not like radical fundamentalist Christians were going to start beheading them.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Aw, my image didn't show up Smile
Oh well,

And a little of this:

"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Excerpts below (see link for full story).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/201......-planner

News Corp’s number-two shareholder funded ‘terror mosque’ planner

The opponents of the proposed Cordoba Initiative Islamic center planned for Lower Manhattan are fond of suggesting, by way of lengthy and often confusing chains of causation and association, that its principal planner, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, is connected to terrorism. "The imam has been tied to some shady characters," Fox Business Channel's Eric Bolling recently said, "so should we worry that terror dollars could be funding the project?"

On last night's "Daily Show," Jon Stewart skewered these antics as a "dangerous game of guilt by association you can play with almost anybody," and proceeded to tie Fox News to al-Qaida by connecting Fox News parent News Corp's second-largest shareholder, Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, to the Carlyle Group, which has done business with the bin Laden family, "one of whose sons — obviously I'm not going to say which one — may be anti-American."

But Stewart didn't need to take all those steps to make the connection: Al-Waleed has directly funded Rauf's projects to the tune of more than $300,000. If Fox newscasters can darkly suggest "terror dollars" are sluicing into the Islamic center's coffers via "shady characters," then are Al-Waleed, and News Corp. leader Rupert Murdoch, by the same logic, also terror stooges?

Indeed, as none other than Rupert Murdoch's New York Post reported last May, the Kingdom Foundation, al-Waleed's personal charity, has donated a total of $305,000 to Muslim Leaders of Tomorrow, a leadership and networking project sponsored jointly by two of Rauf's organizations, the American Society for Muslim Advancement and the Cordoba Initiative. Al-Waleed owns a 7 percent, $2.3 billion stake in News Corporation. Likewise, News Corporation owns a 9 percent, $70 million stake — purchased in February — in Rotana, Al-Waleed's Saudi media conglomerate.

Put another way: Rupert Murdoch and Fox News are in business, to the tune of billions of dollars, with one of the "Terror Mosque Imam's" principal patrons.

Fox News had no comment.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Corollary to Godwin's Law:

As the length of a political thread increases, the likelihood of FOX News being mentioned approaches 1.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 03:38, balducci wrote:
Excerpts below (see link for full story).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/201......-planner

News Corp’s number-two shareholder funded ‘terror mosque’ planner

Well, now that we know FOX News is funding the Ground Zero Conquest Victory Mosque, it should lose support from democrats quickly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Burning Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL