The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Burning Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I knew a woman who moved here from Lebannon specifically to get away from the oppression she felt, as a woman, in that part of the world. She married an American, became Eastern Orthidox.....and her daughter married a Muslim who started treating her like property. Well, to be fair that isn't just a Muslim thing. My brother in law is Christian and we use to joke that the difference between his wife and a cow is if it rained the cow would be let into the barn. Another family friend, an Iraqi Muslim who held a very good position in the US Govt, now retired, upon his last child leaving the home stopped conversing with his American wife except to instruct her what he expected of her for the day. It has been about 15 years since he really has spoken to her. Cat Stevens upon his conversion said in interviews he would not speak to a woman who was not his wife and rarely to her. He mellowed out after 9/11 as they thought it good to have him represent Islam in a hopefully positive light.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Jonathan,

It's not only that they act on the belief that their squid can have your dog as an offering, but that they demand that you turn over your dog to them to be devoured by their giant squid, and if you don't do it, then you are an intolerant tyrant.

Woland
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 18:11, Woland wrote:

And if a non-Muslim sets foot in Mecca, he will be executed.

Let's keep it real.

Woland

Nope, just deported or prosecuted. Keep it real homie
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 18:11, Woland wrote:
By the way, if you attempt to bring a Bible into Saudi Arabia, it will be confiscated and destroyed.

Let's keep it real.

Woland

It appears, once again, this is not true. It seems that bibles are mostly fine, as long as they are not brought in with the intent of converting people.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 16:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Wow, that's not bigoted at all.
Better to let the majority decide and force the minority to go with the results?

Ummmm I hate to break this to you but...http://www.laughtergenealogy.com/bin/opinion/republic.html

You make it very hard to take you seriously.

I am well aware of that. I was referring to your flat assertion that it was "wrong." Given you were dismissing the "minority" opinion, and then asserting that what was happening was "wrong" you appeared to be implying that was the majority opinion.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 18:31, Big Jeff wrote:
2 differant people burned qorans yesterday,to "protest" what muslims did on 9/11. No one in the crowd chanted anything.

Meanwhile, in the peacefull muslum world, they burned American Flags and chanted " DEATH TO CHRISTIANS".

AND in London, muslums burned American flags and said we got what we deserved.

But, those were just the "radicals" right?

Links to this stuff?

And, yes, maybe they were the radicals. They are things on google back in 07' about burning the flag in London. We have radicals here in the US also, check out the KKK, or raider fans.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 18:26, Dannydoyle wrote: . . .

How about we all READ the planned book for burning? Then we can talk about it. Read it, not what others say it says.

Absolutely. I think I said exactly this in one of my earlier posts in this thread. Why is it I always end up with much more in common, than one would first have thought, with the ones I argue the most with?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6742 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 18:59, critter wrote:
Wrong.
If you can't even spell the NAME of the group right then you probably don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion.
The Crusades, Planned Parenthood Bombings, Hitler, Unionist bombings and torture of Catholics in Northern Ireland, Cromwell, IRA bombings, the list goes on, these are just the "extreme" Christians, right?
Well, yes that is right. Those ARE only the extremists. Funny how certain people can't apply the same criteria to "other" religions that they do their own.
Like I said, Jesus did not like hypocrites.

Then he would probably have you mention the torture and murder of tens of thousands of Christians at the hands of the catholic church. Just sayin.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 22:05, gdw wrote:
Quote:

How about we all READ the planned book for burning? Then we can talk about it. Read it, not what others say it says.

Absolutely. I think I said exactly this in one of my earlier posts in this thread. Why is it I always end up with much more in common, than one would first have thought, with the ones I argue the most with?

Unfortunately, or so it has often been said, even many of the best translations of the Qur'an are lacking.

http://www.meforum.org/717/assessing-eng......he-quran

"[H]how accurate are the Qur'an's renderings into English? The record is mixed. Some are simply poor translations. Others adopt sectarian biases, and those that are funded by Saudi Arabia often insert political annotation."

The "conclusion" section at the link above is worth reading, if you are interested in this sort of thing.

I don't doubt that there are also problems with English translations of the Bible, but that we're mostly just unaware of these (either willfully, or through what might be called cultural indoctrination). Obviously, I am not a Biblical literalist.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Danny...how about using that plea to Congress to read the BILLS before passing them. THAT might be useful to everybody no matter what imaginary friend they suffer for.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20523 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 18:59, critter wrote:
Wrong.
If you can't even spell the NAME of the group right then you probably don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion.
The Crusades, Planned Parenthood Bombings, Hitler, Unionist bombings and torture of Catholics in Northern Ireland, Cromwell, IRA bombings, the list goes on, these are just the "extreme" Christians, right?
Well, yes that is right. Those ARE only the extremists. Funny how certain people can't apply the same criteria to "other" religions that they do their own.
Like I said, Jesus did not like hypocrites.

Now because he can not spell the name in one post, you claim he knows nothing about whatever. I thought GDW said we were not going to nit pick that stuff as it meant nothing? Now you have to simply throw around Nazi, and spellcheck problems? Lord.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 22:20, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 22:05, gdw wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, or so it has often been said, even many of the best translations of the Qur'an are lacking.

http://www.meforum.org/717/assessing-eng......he-quran

"[H]how accurate are the Qur'an's renderings into English? The record is mixed. Some are simply poor translations. Others adopt sectarian biases, and those that are funded by Saudi Arabia often insert political annotation."

The "conclusion" section at the link above is worth reading, if you are interested in this sort of thing.

I don't doubt that there are also problems with English translations of the Bible, but that we're mostly just unaware of these (either willfully, or through what might be called cultural indoctrination). Obviously, I am not a Biblical literalist.

And, of course, no matter the written translation, there is always the translation that comes from the reader.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 22:29, gdw wrote:

And, of course, no matter the written translation, there is always the translation that comes from the reader.

Indeed. As a great poetry professor of mine used to say, "All language is translation."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Ta Da! Doug is back, with a brand new pic

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Now the Quaran is being translated wrong where it is stated to use violence, maybe someone should tell the Muslims that read it that way they are wrong rather than telling those of us not performing violent acts.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 22:41, MagicSanta wrote:
Now the Quaran is being translated wrong where it is stated to use violence, maybe someone should tell the Muslims that read it that way they are wrong rather than telling those of us not performing violent acts.

I don't think we said that. But any who, let's not forget the bible also advocates putting people to death plenty. If we are going to pick on "violent" religions, well, that may very well be redundant.

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It keeps bothering me that someone said Hitler was a Christian - I'm too lazy to Google but while I'm always eager to slander the Christians I prefer to have facts on my side and I don't recall that Hitler was of a religious bent.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20523 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 10:25, Destiny wrote:
It keeps bothering me that someone said Hitler was a Christian - I'm too lazy to Google but while I'm always eager to slander the Christians I prefer to have facts on my side and I don't recall that Hitler was of a religious bent.

Yea I was tempted to jump on that bandwagon myself Destiny but it just has gotten to the point when someone brings up Hitler, McCarthy, and the Crusades to make a point about Christians, I just want them to buy a book from later than say 1960 or so. I figure that when you have to go that far back you are being lazy in the first place and just want to use any point in history to prove what you believe in the presant.

Any time anyone brings up Hitler, it really proves the willful lack of time and effort they are willing to put into an opinion and will just use anything they can grab onto in order to believe what they want.

SO here Destiny I did us both a favor.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read......hristian

Turns out he was a Christian and an athiest and more LOL. Turns out he did believe in God, it is just that as far as I can tell HE was god.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Three points:

1. People's views tend to change over their lifetimes.
2. You can't generalize from a sample of one.
3. Hitler, the Crusades, Ayatollah Khomeini, etc. are nonetheless useful counter-examples to foolish generalizations.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Here's something about Hitler's religious views. A bit weasely, as you'd expect. I've always found the of-course-Hitler-was-an-atheist-only-a-godless-heathen-could etc argument weak tea. Even if he was an atheist with a capital A, it does not excuse or explain away the acts thousands of German believers who took part in the execution of Jews,homosexuals,Roma,the disabled,Slavs and anybody else that were marked for extermination.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Burning Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL