The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Quality or Quantity? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

swingjunkie
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of swingjunkie
Working restaurants soon and I was trying to figure out which is the better way to go while I'm building up my speed: hit a lot of tables doing 1/2 balloon figures I can do in 2.5 minutes, or doing nice 3-5 balloon sculptures that take 6 or 7 min (hitting less tables, but maybe making more per figure)? Thoughts?
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
I see nothing wrong with either of those. I usually mix them up, myself. I do 1-2 balloon figures, and I do 3-12 balloon sculptures. It just depends on what is right for that customer, at that moment. Mix them up, I think you will like it.

David
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I think it also depends on how busy the restaurant is. Tic off enough customers during peak hours waiting for you to reach them while you're focused on making intricate multi-balloon designs and you may not hold the job for long.

On ultra busy nights, I reduce my list to rapid-fire 1-3 balloon designs. My regulars understand that on slower nights I'll make it up to them with more elaborate works. They appreciate that consideration and it pays off for me.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I Make 10 swords and 10 flowers and leave them at the counter in a box for the waiters or managers to take if I miss any tables...

That said I have done 1-3 balloon quick stuff..

I have also done 5-8 balloon 4-5 minute stuff...

From my experince I make far greater amount of money making the bigger and better stuff. I have seen countless times where parents say "No we don't want a balloon." or they pull out 1-2 dollars but after they see me make large things from 646 and 350 ballooons they are "blown" away (no pun intended)

That being said I agree with what skip says on really busy nights you might be reduced to what every other magician and clown make fast 2-3 balloon stuff.

However having a few 1 baloon super quick swords and flowers at the front counter will keep everyone at bay....
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Formula is the key for me...

I hit the tables in a methodic manner. Styrofoam, Dessert, Steak, Salad, Drinks, Menu
This is my pecking order. once a layer is cleared I move to the next set.

If it is REALLY busy, I tell people "it is really busy today.... so everyone gets surprise hats!! "
Each creation takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes tops.

As far as clearing a restaurant before going ... when I have to go I will twist weeny dogs and poodles super fast as I walkup to tables with this explanation : "Hey I am only here to __:__ today BUT I wanted to make sure I got everyone something before I left"

To be honest the tips surprise me for the simplest things.... I get $5 & $10 for weeny dogs. CRAZY!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Quality or Quantity? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL