We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Stage and impromptu (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
In a recent post there was some talk about the difference between stage and impromptu hypnosis. For those of us who just to impromptu, it would be nice to have some of the differences explained.

[I am hoping I won't just get "impromptu is for kids," like the last post.]
- Nathan
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Watch a few shows and then compare with street. You don't really need them explained its kinda obvious. Without making any judgments come to your own conclusions.
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Thanks... that's exactly the kind of reply I was trying to avoid.

[I guess the brackets were not "obvious" enough]

Anyone else like to give it a shot?
- Nathan
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I was being serious. You need to come to your own conclusions. It really is pretty obvious if you look at the two side by side. That along with your own reasons for doing hypnosis will give you what you ask.

Sometimes you just have to use your head to work it out for yourself.

Everything else is just an opinion.
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-08 14:15, mindpunisher wrote:
Everything else is just an opinion.

Oh, now don't say that... I may be tempted to disregard anything you say because it is just your opinion. Besides, the whole idea of a forum seems strange if everyone just needs "to come to your own conclusions." Yes, there are obvious differences, but I wasn't really asking for you to repeat things like, "well, one is on a stage and the other..."

I was actually hoping someone like Anthony or Mindpro could chime in.
- Nathan
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Impromptu just means without preparation. On the spot.
A stage show has been organised and publicised in advance.
Impromptu Hypnosis usually happens when someone asks you "Can you hypnotise me right now?"
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Thanks quicknotist. I am aware of the basic difference since I am a mentalism and do on the spot hypnotism for p** sh** work. I also use it to add effect during my shows--it gives something visual for the audience.

In a recent post ("Not new to hypnosis but...") I suggested a book that was written for a more casual type of hypnotism, and there was a strong reaction (perhaps with good reason) and many said a book like that should not be used for someone who wanted to do stage hypnotism.

I didn't really want a surface examination, but the perspective of some veteran professionals who may be able to explain the nuances.

Thanks.
- Nathan
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Then I have no idea what you are asking which hasn't already been answered.
Sorry I'm clearly not "veteran" or "professional" enough for you.
Perhaps if you want specific people to reply, you should just ask them directly.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10228 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Well I was hoping to sit back and view some of the responses, but since my "opinions" were requested (and of course your question lends itself to a quite long response, which I will try to condense) here's a few from my perspective.

You said not to mention age, but that is a driving force behind the rise in popularity of street hypnosis ( I can't seem to find many 35, 45, 55 or older street hypnosis performers) for what I believe are three reasons - 1. the popularity of magicians wanting to use the "hypnosis" concept as part of their "magic" either as real, implied or pseudo because it is much simpler and quicker (and less expensive) than getting into stage hypnosis (which is unfortunately why many of the street hypnosis performers efforts come off as nothing more than tricks or advanced bar tricks), 2. the street movement seems to be fueled by younger, edgier (Blaine, Angel-type) magicians, and especially from the UK for many reasons, two of which are because of the red tape that is required to perform true stage hypnosis (insurance, legalities, etc,) and because it is quicker and less involved (as far as financial commitment, time, effort, etc.) and is often learned by current methods and media allowing it to be attempted to be performed much sooner and in less formal situations, rarely a true "performance" as much as more of a small gathering or bar/pub type gathering. Plus younger people seem to think this is "cooler" and may not yet be exposed to hypnosis or a good stage hypnosis show.

The whole premise of street is "here, let me show you something" or "do you want to try something cool". This is probably more of a generalization, but it is here that it seems more like just "cool stunts" than a true performance in the sense of all elements of a performance such as presented in say, Ken Weber's book.

Another key area of difference is the structure and formality of the two types of performances, as street is often more casual, impromptu, and lax, where stage utilizes more of the aspects of theater - anticipation, expectation, emotion, unity, drama, structure, and the ride of a good theatrical performance. Also with stage there is much more going on at one time during the performance. Stage is much more of a progressive journey. There is the production (sound, lights, props, visuals, etc.) that adds a dynamic to stage not included in street. As mentioned in another thread, there is also the individual and group elements in a stage performance.

Stage hits, appeals to and affects many people differently at the same time, while also appealing as a whole. The overall dynamic of the numbers (audience, subjects, length of performance) also creates a huge difference.

Another key thing is the money! Stage hypnotists earn much more than any street performer I'm aware of. This is a major difference.

Training - stage training is much more involved, detailed and true to hypnosis itself.

Finally, I think the public perception is much different, which can lend itself to a performers overall success. As not only a full-time performer for nearly 35 years, but also as the owner of two full-time entertainment and production agencies, I can tell you the perception of s stage performer is much greater than a street performer of any type. Other than small fests, pubs, parties and impromptu gatherings (lower priced venues and events) there is a less than professional perception of street performers than stage as far as the booking clients are concerned - professional, corporate, trade show, theater, major fairs and festivals, television, etc. I do not say this to demean street performers, and it really has nothing to do with talent, but rather perceived value.

I'll stop for now, although I could go on with much more, but hopefully this is enough for now. I too hope others chime in.
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

You mentioned the aspect of theater that changes audience dispositions and emotions. As far as the subjects are concerned, do you find that this is always both positive and negative? For example, as a mentalist it is easy to do the "sneaky stuff" when doing p** sh** work of any kind, because at this point the other person does not feel that we are doing the trick yet. They are much more laid back and open to "psychological direction" (to avoid using the word manipulation). At the same time, I find that suggestion is more effective when I have the spectator on stage. The pressure of being in front of others and the theatrics changes how they act and perceive things.

Do you find that a casual approach to gaining control is less effective? I always enjoyed using the line, "this isn't hypnosis, just a type of mental exercise." That way I don't have to worry about any misconceptions they may have.

Thanks for the informed opinion. As George Orwell would have said, "All opinions are equal, just some more equal than others." Smile
- Nathan
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10228 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
As far as the subjects go I find it us usually a positive, rarely a negative. Deliberate controlled casual within a stage setting can work quite well, but many also respond better to more of an expert or authoritive (formal) setting. In a true good stage hypnosis setting the actual pre-conditioning starts long before the stage hypnotist even takes the stage. This lends itself to less volunteer nervousness or apprehension once they get on stage. This pre-conditioning combined with an effective pre-talk handles most of this concern. While this is very deliberate and controlled by a skilled performer, it plays very natural to the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Stage and impromptu (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL