The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Nielsen chop cup teacup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
Did someone here at the café use or tried the Chop cup Tea cup from Nielsen Magic?
http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/closeuppage.htm

It uses wooden balls and a chinese teacup. Has a nice ring...
Could someone post a description and some comments about this chop cup?

Thank you,
Jacques....
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
One of the things I like about the Tea Cup as a chop cup as that a simple shift of the cup left or right can make the ball appear.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have one from another source that uses a regular crochetted ball. I like it but find it a little difficult to hold on to -- but I have arthritus problems.

I do many Chop type effects with a normal, handled tea cup that is the basis of a pending eBook titled "Cup of T."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I've had a couple of these and liked them. I didn't have any trouble holding onto the Nielsen cup the way it was constructed. If I remember correctly, the routine provided called for gently moving the cup in a circular pattern and then speeding up (for a ball through the bottom of the table effect). When the ball comes up through the table, into the cup, the sound of the wooden ball rolling against the ceramic cup is a great auditory effect. IMHO.
Magic is where you find it.....
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Just bought one of these. Personally, I would have preferred it to be just a wee bit bigger. The magnet is also a bit too powerful, at least in the one I have. Apart from that, nice cup!

Fortasse
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 11:54, fortasse wrote:
Personally, I would have preferred it to be just a wee bit bigger. The magnet is also a bit too powerful, at least in the one I have. Apart from that, nice cup!

Fortasse

I would agree that it's small for conventional chop cup routines, especially if you plan on final loads. If you use it as a quickie with the ball through table, the powerful magnet is needed with the type of ball provided. I ended up selling mine and doing the same routine with a brass chop bowl that was large enough for a Chinese donut final load.
Magic is where you find it.....
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Good suggestion. Thanks, Dale.
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
Thanks for those valuable information.
This circular motion is a very interesting characteristic of this cup. In fact that's what attracted me when I saw the video demo. What could prevent me to choose this cup is its size. In a chop cup routine, a big final load is so powerful. Maybe multiple loads could be a good alternative.

Thanks a lot, I have some thinking to do now...
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 13:26, Jacques wrote:
Thanks for those valuable information.
This circular motion is a very interesting characteristic of this cup. In fact that's what attracted me when I saw the video demo. What could prevent me to choose this cup is its size. In a chop cup routine, a big final load is so powerful. Maybe multiple loads could be a good alternative.

Thanks a lot, I have some thinking to do now...

Actually the size of the final load doesn't matter. It's the change from one object to another. Contact Pete Biro and ask him how his mind was changed by the Late Ken Brooke. Pete too thought that the size of the final load mattered. Ken proved Pete was oh so wrong.
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
Reviving an old forum with a question for anyone who has this effect. Every online demo I have seen of this shows a ball so poorly weighted that it wobbles unnaturally when revealed on a flat surface. Are any owners of this effect having this problem? I like the notion, but if the ball rolls suspiciously, it's a deal breaker for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Nielsen chop cup teacup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL