The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Moments (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I was performing my ACR routine today for a friend and got to the point where his selection was second from top, showing him a double. I lifted off the top card and was about to shove it in and through laziness thought I was in the next step (where I CAN show him the card) and showed it to him by accident. It happened to be the 8ofS and his selection was the 6ofS, he thought the flashed card was his selection and it made the effect a LOT stronger!

My laziness and lack of concentration actually enhanced my performance, anyone else have similar stories?
I have a couple more but wont bore you all.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I've told the story a few times here so I wont repeat it all... but my first stage performance in high-school my opener was a match to flower and the **** match wouldn't light. I had to strike about 4 times and each time the audience grew more restless... but the tension ended up making the subsequent match to flower when I blew it out much stronger. A little opener became a suddenly surprising and amazing thing.

Moral: What seem like screw ups to us can sometimes enhance things and a little genuine tension always makes the release that much more powerful. Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Rather than have them pick a card I removed the deck from the box and asked what their favorite card was.
I spread the deck to find it and it wasn't there. I shook the box and heard a card.
It was their named card.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I had a trick breaker once insist I repeat a simple force and rising card routine except that he wanted to put the card back in the deck. he didn't. Instead he pocketed it and bet me $2 I couldn 't make it rise again.

Scanning through the deck I couldn't find it. Then the cards slipped out of my hands and fell on the table. (Slippery borrowed deck.) As I picked them up I got inspired. I stopped, weighed them in my hands and then looked him in the eye and said...

"I know why I've been having so much trouble... this deck is light. Its a card short." He asked me what card it was missing and I told him his card.

He reached into his billfold, took out $2 and insisted I take it.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Stonewick
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Stonewick
A few months ago I was performing Vernon's "The Travelers".
The 4th revealed card was not the signed card of the 4th spectator.
I was able to "pretend" as though something had gone wrong while frantically searching through the deck for the lost card. I Found it and brought it to the top.

I then insisted that the card the spectator was holding had the be his since it wasn't in the deck. I asked for the card back and still refusing to look at it, held it up. After a TC I handed it back to him and asked him to hold it up one more time.

The reaction was stronger than I ever received from doing the routine without mistakes. I sometimes intentionally recreate this accident and although the reaction is always good, it has never come close the actual mishap and cover.
I suspect since the drama on my part was real the reaction was more powerful.
Another good reason for acting lessons!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The other night several of us magicians were at a restaurant and I was talking to one guy about how men tend to name certain cards more often, while women had their picks. I pulled on card up from the deck, and told him to get the waitress' attention and ask her to name a card. She named the exact card I had pulled up (QH). To me, it's not that unusual. A few other magicians at the table had just taken notice, and I think it fooled some of them.

I was doing ACR a while back and the chosen card was back on top, but not yet revealed. I asked the spectator to turn over the top card, and when he did, he accidentally did a perfect double lift, and didn't even know it. He said "Wrong" and put the card back. I told him to snap his fingers and look again. Completely freaked him out.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic Moments (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL