The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Comeback lines to ease the minds of subjects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GarethLeeMorgan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of GarethLeeMorgan
Hi, this is mainly aimed at impromptu performers but the question is open to all and would like opinions from different areas.

I'm out tonight and very quickly it's become the norm for friends to ask me to hypnotise people while out and I was wondering what the best comeback lines would be for the following types of comments below. I am aware or at least believe there is no one on the planet that cannot go into hypnosis and I am working on the belief in myself that what I'm going to do will work(thats great advice I got recently) So I am just looking for great comeback lines to these sorts of comments.

1. I think too much to be hypnotised.

2. I’ve been to a hypnotist before and it didn’t work

3. I bet you can't hypnotise me

3. But your Gareth the IT guy, you can't do this

4. I want to experience this but I’m really scared

5. It’s all a load of rubbish, can't be done

6. Sorcerer!!! - Keep away from me (well it was mate that said this LOL)

7. I want to do this but would prefer a stranger as seems odd you doing it.

8. But you might make me do something embarrassing.

9. I don't like losing my self control.

10. I can't ever relax so it won't work for me.

Thanks
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
While I have a complete aresenal of comebacks to really pi$$ people off, this is not what you want to do. If someone is saying these things and tries to continue their business, let them be. You will not get them hypnotized. To many, it is a power of the wills.

If they show interest, but, have doubts such as saying they are scared, you need to educate.

If they do not show interest or are throwing up a challenge, let them be. It is a contest at this point. You may be able to talk them into it, but, do you really have that kind of time and/or desire to hypnotize that one person? I don't.

However, if you have curious doubters, often times you can win them over by hypnotizing someone in front of them. Good results will gain you more good results. -Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
GarethLeeMorgan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Thanks for the reply Shane... you make a lot of sense.. and no I don't really want to waste my time trying to convince someone when there could be others willing to enjoy the experience.

I suppose in myself I still see it as failure although I know I can't win them all. I'm going to really go for it tonight, hypnotise a few friends and then anyone who gets curious I will see what happens. I guess the only way I'll get good at this is by working with as many different subject as possible.

On a slightly different note, it's funny that approaching a group of girls to get a number terrifies me but going up to the same table to ask about hypnosis just seems easier.

Thanks
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
Use the hypnosis angle to get the numbers.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
I think it works well to say, "Well, then let's try something that is like hypnotism, but..." then you just go into it as normal.

One way to deal with people who have fear of losing control is to let them know that they will be conscious. At one point you could even say, "and you don't have to do anything you don't want to. You could even open your eyes by yourself. Go ahead and try that now." When they open their eyes they will feel in control (and not realize that you just gave them permission to open their eyes).

For comments like "I bet it won't work," you are setting yourself up for failure. The subject has to work with you. Remember, they are the ones that really do the hypnotizing--we just tell them how to do it.
- Nathan
GarethLeeMorgan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Thanks ThePhilospher , good advice, I'll use that tonight, I like the use of eye closure and open to help put at ease with self control. Smile
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
>1. I think too much to be hypnotised.
That's perfect. All you have to do is think about what I'm saying and you'll EASILY BE HYPNOTIZED.

2. I’ve been to a hypnotist before and it didn’t work
That's not unusual. Everyone can be hypnotized, buy not every hypnotist can hypnotize every person. Just listen to what I say and you'll EASILY BE HYPNOTIZED.

3. I bet you can't hypnotise me
You're right. I can't make you do anything. If you don't want to experience the peace and well-being of hypnosis, I wouldn't waste my time or your time. But if you'd like to experience a state of mind that's fun and deeply peaceful, I'll be glad to lead you to that wonderful state of mind. Just let me know when you're ready to be easily hypnotized and have a great experience and we'll begin.

3. But your Gareth the IT guy, you can't do this
Nobody has only one role in life. Before I was the IT guy I was also the student and (fill in other things you did). For the past (fill in time) I've been training and studying hypnosis. Now I'm an expert (certified by _________ if you are) and can easily and safely hypnotize anyone. How would you like to have some fun?

4. I want to experience this but I’m really scared
I was scared, too, the first time I was hypnotized. But the experience was so wonderful, restful, peaceful, and fun, I just couldn't wait to do it again and again. It's so wonderful I had to become an expert so I could share it safely with others. Are you ready to have some fun?

5. It’s all a load of rubbish, can't be done
Hmmm. That's an interesting opinion. I wonder why you'd want to disagree with the American Medical Association and British Medical Association as to the reality and value of hypnosis. Well, that's okay. There are people who think that TVs, computers, airplanes, and telephones are a load of rubbish, too. (Don't work with this person--use him to influence others)

6. Sorcerer!!! - Keep away from me (well it was mate that said this LOL)
Years ago, things like medicine, psychology, and chemistry were thought of as sorcery, too. Turned out they were simply the science of the future. Wouldn't you like to get in on the future?

7. I want to do this but would prefer a stranger as seems odd you doing it.
I know what you mean. But because I'm an expert and I know you, I can look out for your safety and well-being better than anyone.

8. But you might make me do something embarrassing.
That's a myth. I can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Listen, I want you to jump up on that chair and bark like a dog right now (pause). See? You didn't do it. When you're hypnotized, if I were to suggest something you didn't want to do you'd simply come out of the hypnosis feeling rested and wonderful

9. I don't like losing my self control.
I don't blame you! That losing self-control is just something like vampires and monsters you see in the movies. It's a fiction. The reality is that when hypnotized you're more in control of yourself than ever.

10. I can't ever relax so it won't work for me.
Hypnosis has nothing to do with relaxation. But while you're hypnotized I can give you some suggestions so that it will be easy for you to relax whenever you want to do so in the future. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

YMMV
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Awesome responses, dmkraig. I often smile at the person and say "I specialize in hypnotizing skeptics (or whatever)." Project utter confidence in your abilities and they will have to take that into account. If their curiosity is piqued they will continue to question you about the process and expectancy will build.

Something that can really be persuasive is to hypnotize someone else in front of the reluctant person. Seeing the process occur and being able to question the hypnotee can really help the reluctant person along.
GarethLeeMorgan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Dmkraig - Fantastic response. thank you so much for that, some very good answers.

HypnoDan - I've actually just got back in and I did just that, turned out the person that was unsure at the start became my best subject.

Thanks to all that replied. Smile
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Comeback line for 1 to 10:
"Ok. Don't worry about it. Your loss. There are plenty more people here."
;)
Reg
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
Good stuff from dmkraig. You do not want to spend time trying to convinve the unconvinceable with words. If they are truly interested, they will stick around and watch. If not, they will move on. You can not and will not impress everybody.

You will not hypnotize everybody. It is impossible. Do not look at it as a failure. If a girl shuts you down, it is not a failure, but, a personal victory that you threw yourself out there. Even more of a victory when you realize you are strong enough to take it on the chin. Goes the same for this art.

What we do, I call " Fringe Entertainment ". Some people get it, some don't. I am only out to work for those that do get it......and if I convert some people along the way, that's a bonus. -Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Yeah love dmcraig's lines. That is exactly how I deal with such questions - nip them in the bud and ideally flip the objection to the positive.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Really?
I dunno. I just think it smacks of desperation and looks amateurish. I don't think it looks good to make people think you're really that desperate to show off.
Magicians who do walkabout must have similar experiences. If any read this thread, what do they think?

Maybe we work in very different environments but in my experience, the ones who stick around to tell you they're unsure and ask questions (instead of just walking away) really don't need that much convincing anyway.

I was serious about being so dismissive.
Why waste so much time trying to convince someone when another one who's more keen will be along soon?
Besides, when you say "Fair enough then. Bye." A percentage of those people will be back anyway.

Your mileage may vary, as they say...

Reg

Quote:
On 2010-09-13 05:59, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Yeah love dmcraig's lines. That is exactly how I deal with such questions - nip them in the bud and ideally flip the objection to the positive.

Anthony
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yeah I have to say although I'm perfectly comfortable with everything craig said I would call that: phase two. My own natural style would lean more in the Reg camp, albeit I might not utter the phrase: "Your loss".
I do believe I normally would say something like: "Yeah I know what you're saying, I actually get the feeling that you're perhaps not the type would that would find this too easy and can well understand why you might want to leave it well alone (all said with a smile)".
Now, forget about hypnosis, NLP or psychology for a moment. My experience in human nature alone would tell me that their map of this particular terrain might now be questioned and they may have some questions they want to ask me. NOW I can use craig's rebuttals more powerfully because I am now answering questions which THEY took to the table.
This is my experience and it simply works for me every time. That's right that's what I said; every single time.
But the answers in here show that other ways can work also and evidentially we'd be wrong to say that they don't.
(whisper) but hey Gareth, save youreself some time and do it my way.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Actually, when dealing with a person one-to-one, I agree with bobser. It is one of those situations that will "waste your time and annoy the pig." My answers were only partially for the person who asked it. They're more for the people around us and have the purpose of showing that I am in control and know what I'm doing. It's what Anthony calls being THE HYPNOTIST.

HypnoDan, I often give informative lectures that include experiencing hypnosis for those who want to be hypnotized. One of the things I do is ask if there are any people who have been "told" they couldn't be hypnotized, believe they can't be hypnotized, or have tried hypnosis and it didn't work. I ask them to come down to the front because they are usually the first to go into hypnosis.

Most of those people either have false ideas about hypnosis or the person(s) who tried to hypnotize them didn't know what they were doing. Asking them to come to the front, getting them to say "I want to be hypnotized" and getting them to agree to follow my directions has them so set up they go into trance at the start of an induction.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Craig, Might I ask if you use a different form of induction in your lecture than you would normally do in a show?

Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
So does Jon Chase. Deeper and Deeper, Page ix

Quote:
On 2010-09-14 12:36, dmkraig wrote:
It's what Anthony calls being THE HYPNOTIST.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
He sure does. I believe he says that because he thinks the audience will not remember you as an individual just as The Hypnotist. Therefore you better represent.

With regard to desperation, I don't feel that from most of the lines mentioned. They are just random chirps from people who do not think they can be hypnotised. I certainly am not interested in trying to talk people round and do not encourage my students to. I do encourage them to deal with such chirps if they are born of misconception or fear though. It means more people play.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
I would do a reverse paradox induction....

http://www.hypnothoughts.com/video/reverse-paradox-hypnosis

"It's all good. I'm not going to hypnotize you. But let's try something... Imagine what it would feel like if you really were hypnotized...."
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Bob, it depends upon the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Comeback lines to ease the minds of subjects (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL