The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Awesome One
View Profile
Regular user
Gold Coast, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of The Awesome One
I am booked to do a corporate stage show. The client wants me to use a stage name for the show that uses the initials of the company "L.R"

I know, stupid idea, but they are the ones paying my fee. My style of show is a corporate comedy magic show and I am struggling to come up with a name that I'm happy with and does not sound corny.

I thought of trying to use more famous magician names like David Copperfield, but make it Lavid Ropperfield or Lance Rurton. But I think that is a bit silly.

Or maybe using comedy magic words like laughing, levitation, razzle, rabbit. Or just come up with a cool sounding name with those initials. One of the other performers who will be there (not a magician) is using Leonardo Ronaldo, which I don't mind but he is also doing the whole accent thing to go with it. I can't do accents.

So I am hoping that by using the collective brain power of you all you might be able to help me come up with something I can use.

Thanks for any help.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Lone Ranger
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Laughing Rabbit
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Larry Roudini perhaps... makes me laugh
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
How about Lefty Right.
Bob.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Probably not what you want to hear, but how you brand yourself is paramount and should never be left to the whims and/or wants of a single client/customer.

Now you may say that it's only a one-off; but as any worker will tell you, a high percentage of leads come from people who have seen you perform. So, if you use the moniker Larry Jones, then they'll be asking for Larry Jones, and you're stuck with the name.

As an option, could you introduce a character in your show who uses the initials/name? Perhaps an invisible helper, puppet, etc.

e
fingercramp
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of fingercramp
Adding to what Eric said- What if you kept your name but the name of your show used the initials. I don't know if your show has a name already but you could do something like 'Hello. I'm Alf. Welcome to the Log Ram." I don't know...
"Be safe, keep the faith, and don't let 'em tearrr ya down."- the dude at the gate
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I'm with Eric on this. Your brand is one of your most valuable assets. It takes a long time to build a good reputation.

I already have to spend time once and awhile convincing clients why they shouldn't have me dress up as Santa and why I should wear my normal outfit.

I'm not going to let them change my name.

I'm not sure I'm even keen on the idea of having a character with the LR name because that will dilute YOUR name. While incorporating a company name into your patter is one thing (and an important one), confusing those watching with two names will just make it harder for them to remember YOUR name.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I'm also not sure how many in the audience will actually recognise the fact of the name using the letters. Using the company's logo/brand on some of the props may be a way "out"? Or an effect with the ending being thier log. Heck even a large square circle with their logo on the tube opens you up to all sorts of production possibilities.

B
RebelEntertainer
View Profile
New user
John Abrams
73 Posts

Profile of RebelEntertainer
Hi Awesome One,

Very interesting request.

Here's the solution.

Go by your regular name and simply make L.R. your middle initials. Then create an entire routine about why your middle name is L.R.

Throughout the show, "The L.R. stands for Ludicrously Rich" "The L.R. stands for Lavishly Ridiculous" "The L.R. stands for Lucky Redhead" "The L.R. stands for Lazy Redneck" etc...and then at the end "The L.R. stands for 'insert name of company here' "

It creates name recognition for you and the company.

John Abrams
Rebel Entertainer and "Likable Rebel"
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
720 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Laughing Righteously
Little Richard
Lumpy Rumpy
Loopie Roopie
Leftover Rightover
Lah Rah
Lord Rapper
Lame Rain
Lost Race
Lacy Racy
Limey Rimey

Sorry about the goofiness, but I was having fun....maybe some food for thought.
Chas
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
756 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I agree with the few above..

IF YOU DO THIS

you will have to build a page for your website and rank it for this name otherwise you will lose business and leads because of people looking for the guy they saw and not finding you..

NOT a hard things todo..

2 youtube videos (animoto)
1 landing page on the main website
1 squidoo lens (the story of LR the magician) telling about the event and linking back to your main site..

In other words if you do this without planning ahead this can HURT your company but with some planning you can use it to your advantage..
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22900 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This marketing request sounds more like they want a company mascote or representative for their brand name. If they require you as a sole representative to them and them alone, then this requires a yearly dollar amount retainer, and all expenses paid by the company. If they want or have a no Contest clause, then you would not be able to do shows for any other company like theirs, or they could restrict you from performing for no one else.

This was used heavily years ago. Harry Collins was Mr. Frito Lay. I suggest you get a clear understanding of what this company wants.

Harry Collins was the magician for the Lay Potato Chip company. Thus he was under contract and performed in schools and made appearences at many social events for the company.

The company paid him and all his cost of travel, lodging and his salary. They even provided a beautiful assistant to appear with him.

It is like being a Ronald McDonald, but only much better as there is only one for the whole marketing area of the company.

If this is only a one time show, then there is no reason to change your name, but if this for being the exclusive representative, then I suggest you contact an Attorney and get some good advice before signing anything.

Just call your self by the company name, but say something like (your name here) as (company name here). Of just call your self the "Linking Ring".
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Lone Ranger...
to the dump, to the dump, to the dump.. dump.. dump!
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
The Awesome One
View Profile
Regular user
Gold Coast, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of The Awesome One
Thanks for all the help guys. I understand your concerns regarding my name and branding and I did consider those myself, however there were some ulterior motives for why I was willing to do the show. I have been booked by an agent who has given me a lot of work in the past and who have promoted my name in the media for their events in the past. They primarily see me as a children's entertainer and this is the first of this type of show they have booked me for. So my main motivation for doing the show is to impress the agent so they start giving me more of these types of shows.

That being said I love John Abram's solution, I can work with that and almost use it as a running gag through out the show and tie it to the routines. Like you said still gives me my recognition while probably giving more recognition to the company. I'm gunna pitch it to the booking agent tomorrow.

Thanks Guys

Adam
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I'd actually disagree with that suggestion.

While on the surface it is creative and keeps your name out there, you are associating THEIR name with things like "ludicrously rich," "luck," and "lazy redneck." Not exactly positive associations with their initials.

It will indeed create recognition with their company. Just not the kind they want.

IF (and that's a big if) you decide to go this route, all the initial names HAVE to be positive: Leading-edge Research, Lasting Reliability, etc.

You are, of course, free to make your own choice, but I have a strong hunch that if you cave to this request, you will get more of these shows, with these same kinds of requests. But that's your choice.

You should be the one with the creative solutions, not them. Clients can have WILD ideas. Many times they are BAD wild ideas. We are the ones with experience in front of an audience and what works and what doesn't work.

You should be the one recommending to them what to do to mention their name. Not have them telling you to change your name.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Scott's advise is solid.

Then again, to take this to the extreme (in the other direction)......you could make this your 'thing,' kind of the "unknown comic" paperbag over the head persona, but as "Phil Intheblank Magician" - marketing yourself as the custom fit for your clients brand. Every show you would use a moniker tied to the client's brand.

Not something I would ever consider, but perhaps done well, it's a point of differentiation.

Then again, that may be my worst idea this week (and I've already had two doosies!)

e
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
What if you keep changing your name as a running gag. Each name is a LR name. At the end of the show use your real stage name and be the offical magician for LR.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice Please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL