The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Playing with Colours (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have no doubt someone before me has thought of this and we here might even have spoke about it before or something like it, I can‘t recall. In any event I have had colour and lighting and so on my mind all week, as we are about decorating a place. We might paint the place white and use colour lighting so the colour of the place can be magically switched one to another. All of which has brought up this thought for what its worth:

If one made it appear or actually changed the quality of colour of an object, then it would, or could be made to appear, as if the object itself had changed, or changed places with another similar object of different colour.

Or one could suggest to the audience that one is mysteriously moving the objects colour rather than the object or objects.

ie

One has a red ball in ones left hand and a yellow ball in ones right hand, one closes and opens ones hands and lo mysteriously the objects appear to have switched places! Or have they? Perhaps the objects haven’t moved at all but its only their colours that have switched with each other.

I kind of like the notion of the magician in control of the colours of the objects rather than the objects as one could play with mixing colour. One might for example move or take the yellow from the yellow ball turning that ball white, to the red ball turning it orange, yellow and red making orange you see.

So what do you colourful characters think to that?

What effects exist that play with colour in that way, etc?

One that springs to mind is the card colour change where one brushes a black card against red hair and turns the black card red.

And it does not have to be the quality of colour one mysteriously moves as it could be some other quality of an object.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Just to give you the gist of quality moving: One could move the quality of fatness, moving fat from a fat man to a thin one, making the fat man thin and the thin man fat. Or take the quality of hardness from a rock making it soft and no on and so forth. In other words mysteriously moving the condition from one person or thing to another person or thing.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How about moving the knowledge of a thing like a selected card from one person to another. IE one forgets while the other suddenly imagines they took the card?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Somebody once had the air in one balloon change places with the helium in another. I thought it was a cool idea.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks.

Taking light from a lit candle and moving light itself to another or another place. Or taking the shape out of a triangle so it falls into shapeless string or whatever and moving triangle shape into something else giving it the shape of a triangle.

One could take the openness of an open door so it closes and open something closed with its openness. Smile

Pretty limitless really; Just think of any sentence which has a subject and a predicate, then think of mysteriously moving the predicate to some other subject.

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are obviously already coin effects in which the colors (i.e. copper and silver) change places, but the coins themselves do not.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1554 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 01:04, Michael Baker wrote:
Somebody once had the air in one balloon change places with the helium in another. I thought it was a cool idea.

Talking of balloons, a balloon in a balloon is a well-known and very effective way of doing a colour change, especially for children.

Mike
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes those strange little objects of no value except by way of the magic symbols upon them that we call money. Perhaps one might borrow a coin and remove its symbol moving it to some other object.

Retuning them a blank and walking off leaving them to ponder the artwork. Not very magical but still. Smile

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have a routine that involves color changes of the deck (backs), but the lead-in is inspired by the reverse printed gag cards (I bought some Enardoe brand back in the 1960's). I begin with a red card (say, Ace of Diamonds) that turns black, although the suit and value remain the same (still Ace of Diamonds).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is a book I am just browsing through here called New Fire Tricks and Chemical Magic by Ellis Stanyon and there are some interesting little things in it that might be adapted to fit the bill. I might do some experimenting. If I am not back in an hour please send the fire brigade to my place.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Playing with Colours (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL