The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dupes by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Dupes by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave

Price: $29.99 (Plus a penny for tax)

Where: Big Blind Media (Soon from all other good magic distributors)

Quality: This dvd has the same high picture quality that I have come to expect from Big Blind Media. The music is good and not overpowering at all. Also, no crazy, super flashy editing; just good, professional, slick-looking editing.

Menu: I liked the menu on this dvd a lot because of the absolute simplicity of it. The main menu is a black background with an ongoing video of Gary or Chris quietly doing some flourishes, and in the lower right corner are just three options: Play All, Chapters, and Extra Credits.

I just really liked the navigability and simplicity of it all. Plus it made it very easy to go from performance to explanation.

Performances: The performances are done in a warehouse-type setting, which has been used in several other BBM productions. Everything is well lit, and the background does not distract the eye. Of course, Gary and Chris are the ones performing, and also participating as spectators. In some cases Iain Moran is used also as a spectator. Personally I probably would've preferred an actual layman to be used in the performances, because often times Chris or Gary would not actually perform things like controls in the routine because they were "just showing it to a magician." This distracted from the performances IMO.

Teaching: The teaching was good, but it does move quite swiftly, which if you're a beginner, you may not enjoy. As an intermediate magician I actually really appreciated this speed because they did not take my time up explaining basic things like tilt, a DL, the Hofzinzer cull, controls, forces, etc. So if you are a beginner, do not buy this dvd. If you already have a firm grasp of card magic and how it is to be performed, and are looking for some awesome new material, check this dvd out! Personally, I enjoyed the teaching quite a bit.

My Rating System-

I rate on a scale of 1 to 5. It is broken down like this:

5-Awesome
4-Great
3-Okay
2-Bad
1-Awful

Now that you know my rating system, I’ll give my thoughts on each of the effects presented on Dupes!

The Effects:

Almost CAAN: A card is freely selected and just as freely returned by the spectator while the deck is on the table, and you are looking away. They square the deck, you give the pack a couple of cuts. The spectator names any number from 1-52 and they count down to the number. Impossibly, the card at the selected number is the chosen card! Different cards are seen throughout, and a bonus little ace production is taught, which can be done as a prelude to this effect (and is used elsewhere in the dvd). Everything looks VERY clean and hands-off. My favorite thing about this routine is the wonderful subtlety that Gary uses to make the effect so much more convincing. Great start to the dvd! 4/5

Kicked Right Back: Two queens are taken out, and then two cards are selected and subsequently returned to the deck. The queens are replaced on top of the deck and the two selected cards appear face-down between them. The spectator takes out the selected cards to turn them over, but when they do, they instantly change into the queens that were still on the deck! Now you have the selected cards! This is a pretty simple sandwich routine handling, however, the ending does make this fun and surprising for the spectators (Surprise is always a good thing to include in your magic). For that reason, this could be a memorable routine. IMO it's a little too short to stand on it's own, though. I'm not so sure I would carry around the extra cards just for this in a table-hopping situation, but perhaps for a set show. 3/5

Joker Surprise: A card is selected and shuffled into the deck (possibly by a spectator). You attempt to find the card and...well I don't want to discuss what happens next on a public forum because it is such a simple idea that a knowledgeable magician could copy from my description. Anyway, the card he/she selected ends up being the only one that's not a joker. The real lesson in this effect is in the presentation. The effect is SO simple from a technical standpoint, yet the presentation makes it one of those things that can be really entertaining and memorable (which should be what we're aiming for) for the audience! The only downside is that you must devote one deck to this one effect. Don't overlook this one, no matter how straightforward it may seem. You won't appear to be a miracle worker, but rather, an entertainer. 4/5

C2B (with Zilcho Palm): A card is selected, replaced, etc. The black aces are then placed half-way into the case and the red aces set aside. The spectator pushes in the black aces and closes the flap. Instantly, the red aces transform into the black aces! When the spectator opens up the box, inside they find three cards; the red aces and the spectator's signed card in between! I LOVE this effect! This is a true worker that I can see many close-up guys using all the time (I know I will). There's no set-up and as a bonus, Gary teaches a just-as-good version with no duplicate cards whatsoever! It should also be mentioned that the "Zilcho Palm" simply means that there is no palming involved. Super convincing, easy, and impossible. Awesome effect! 5/5

Packed Wallet: Two cards are selected, signed and replaced. After some cuts and shuffles, one of the signed cards appears in your left pocket. You then reach in your right pocket and hand your wallet to a spectator telling him that the card is inside. When he opens it, he finds the entire deck! In your hand is only the selected card! This is a great take on a very novel idea (first conceived by Simon Lovell). There's one move here that may be kind've angly and bold, but it can be done with some misdirection on your part. There's a nice added feature to this effect, which I won't talk about, but it's something I thought was pretty clever. Packed Wallet is surprising, quick and an effect that I think spectators will have a very strong reaction to. 4/5

Pocket Aces: The four aces are produced from the deck and then placed into various sections of the pack. The deck is shuffled, and when you reach into your pocket, there are four face-down cards inside! The deck is spread and the aces are no longer there, however when you turn over the face-down cards, they're the kings! The aces then appear inside the spectator's own pocket! Wow this one really surprised me! I think your spectators will be genuinely surprised at the outcome of the effect. The method is very practical, and you don't have to try to sneak aces into some guys coat across the room before your show. A pickpocketing theme would go excellently with this effect and I think I will have a LOT of fun with this! The only problem is that sometimes you will not really be able to perform this unless your spectator has certain types of clothing (like jackets) on. Personally, this is something I am going to be excited to use. 5/5

The Big Transpo: A card is selected, signed, etc. You attempt to find the card with a few cuts, but instead you find the wrong card. This card is placed aside, and you reach inside your pocket saying that the selected card has jumped inside. When the card is pulled out, it is the same card that you just placed on the table! The card on the table then changes to the selected card. IMO the use of a duplicate in this effect just isn't that worth it. The exact same effect can be easily done with just sleight of hand. Mike Power's has a great effect called Expert Cards to Pocket that has a similar plot, except with 5 phases, more sleight-of-hand, and two selected cards. It should be noted that this effect can be used as a way to ring in a duplicate. If that is your motive, then you may end up using this. 3/5

Jump Back Sandwich: Two jokers are set aside, and a card is selected, signed, etc. Instantly, the signed card appears in between the two jokers on the table. The signed card is then visibly placed into the middle of the deck as the jokers are given to a spectator to hold in their hands. The cards are riffled and the signed card appears in between the jokers again! This is a nice two phase sandwich routine that has good spectator interaction, and I imagine would get a big reaction as a result. Something to keep in mind though, you do ruin a card every time (Meaning you can't use the same dupe again and again). You don't end completely clean, either. If those factors don't bother you too much, then you may use this a lot. Perhaps putting a little sticker on the card for the spectator to initial would solve the first issue. I really like this though, and I DO want to use this. 4/5

Sucker Deal: A card is selected, replaced and shuffled into the deck by the spectator. You then take out one card and place it face-down on the table, but before you turn it over, you want to make sure the card isn't in the deck. So you start to deal the cards face-up, but the chosen card shows up as one of the first cards you deal. The magician, dismayed, has the spectator turn over the tabled card. Surprisingly it is now the selected card, and the card the magician was holding has turned into the indifferent card. In other words, it's a novel, magician-messes-up-and-then-makes-things-right, transposition effect. It does do a good job of making you, the magician, look like you're able to do impossible things, no matter what goes wrong. This won't really blow you away, but it is a fun piece of magical entertainment for your spectators. 3/5

Box Sitter: A card is selected, signed and put back. The two jokers, which you set aside earlier, are shown. The card box is lifted cleanly and a face-down card is seen underneath. When it is turned over with the two jokers (so you never touch the card), it is the signed card. As Gary and Chris state, this can be done as either a mystery card presentation of a card-under-box, teleportation type effect. Either way it looks quite clean. This is another practical real-world effect that I think I'm going to use. I think it would be difficult for a spectator to ever backtrack how you did this effect, since everything just seems so fair and clean. It's very easy to do as well. 5/5

Pocket Interchange (3 Versions): All of these versions have about the same effect, however the method for each varies slightly. The basic effect for all three versions is that the four aces are placed into four different pockets, and the kings are left on the table. They then instantly switch places, with the aces on the table and the kings in your pockets. Now let's look at the individual methods...
---Original: Uses one duplicate, and is, in my opinion, the cleanest of the three. There's no palming, sneaky moves, gaff cards, etc. This is definitely the one I'll be doing the most out of the three. Plus, it's a great way to get a dupe out of play.
---No Dupe: This is Gary's "purist" way of doing this without a dupe. The basic mechanics are the same as the previous, except with an added move. Chris does offer an idea that wouldn't involve that move however. Although this may seem cleaner in method to you, to the spectators it is not as clean of an effect as just using a dupe.
---Sticky: This is the one I was least impressed with. Really, the addition of the gimmick used here did not make the effect cleaner at all IMO. Chris looked much more cramped when performing this version. Plus you need a dupe and a gimmick for this. It's just not worth the effort of adding the gimmick.

Lee Smith's Predicto-Pocket: The back of an odd-backed prediction card, marked "PREDICTION," is shown and placed back into your pocket. Then a card is selected and signed on the face by a spectator. The deck is shuffled and cut before you pull out the prediction card again. Impossibly the prediction card is the same signed card from earlier! The spectator can keep this card as a souvenir. The presentation Gary has for this is very unique and could have a huge impact on the spectators. It's a simple and direct effect for your spectator's to follow. Gary taught a useful move here that I did not know before, as well. As long as you carry around a small group of cards, you can do this many times during walk-around with almost no reset. I thought this was very good. 5/5

Hypno-Tastic: A card is selected and shuffled into the pack by the spectator. When attempting to find the card, you narrow it down to two cards. You ask the spectator to hold out both arms and hold on card in each hand face-down. Next, one of his/her arms starts to become heavier and heavier, until it is pinned against the table. The card in that hand is the selected card (The other is indifferent). This is a GREAT way to start doing hypnosis. It's extremely simple, it always works, and I think this could really freak a spectator out. Again, this is a routine I instantly thought, "Okay, I HAVE to do that." Cool routine to end the dvd! 5/5

Overall:

There is a lot of great, practical, solid material on this dvd! Again and again I kept finding things that I wanted to use! The only question is, which one should I work on first? Smile There wasn't really anything on here that I just thought was useless or filler. It seemed like Chris and Gary have actually used these routines (and continue to) in the real-world. In fact, looking back at my review, I realize that I have a lot of 5/5 ratings, but I truly think those effects DESERVE 5/5's! That testifies to the quality of the dvd.

As I said earlier, if you're an intermediate magician interested in card magic, you should definitely think about getting this dvd. I'm sure happy I have it! Smile

What They Say:
Quote:
Gary Jones and Chris Congreave have a sterling reputation as WORKING magicians. The material they create and perform is the sort of stuff you WILL WANT TO DO AND AUDIENCES LOVE TO SEE!

DUPES is an entire DVD devoted to one of their favourite ideas – using duplicate cards to create perfect miracles. With a heap of insights and sneaky ideas to elevate this underused ruse, you will have your jaw pinned to the floor as you watch the genius ideas these two have laid down for you. Easy, performable, entertaining magic!

Grab ONE deck and a few extra duplicate cards and you have a veritable arsenal of magic at your fingertips. No more pockets bulging with decks only capable of unleashing ONE trick.

Nearly CAAN
Kicked Right Back
Joker Surprise
C2B (with zilcho palm)
Packed Wallet
Pocket Aces
The Big Transpo
Sucker Deal
Box Sitter
Pocket Interchange (3 versions)
Lee Smith’s Predicto-Pocket
Hypno-tastic
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Great review,

I have not seen all the material yet, but Gary and Chris showed me some a while back and I have been using it since, its just brilliant.

I was working with Gary yesterday and the effects on layman play fantastic. Very strong magic that's not diffcult to do (the best kind)

I am looking forward to seeing the full DVD.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Thank you mayniac for such a great and thorough review, very kind of you to take the time and trouble. Love you site by the way!

Lee, it was an honour as usual gigging with you and all the celebrities at that gig, wasn't Jonathan Ross a real nice guy! I used three effects from Dupes, did you hear that woman actually scream out loud when I performed Hypno-tastic on her haha!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Quote:
On 2010-09-14 04:38, gjmagic wrote:
Thank you mayniac for such a great and thorough review, very kind of you to take the time and trouble. Love you site by the way!

Lee, it was an honour as usual gigging with you and all the celebrities at that gig, wasn't Jonathan Ross a real nice guy! I used three effects from Dupes, did you hear that woman actually scream out loud when I performed Hypno-tastic on her haha!

Gary Jones.

Haha it's always awesome to hear stories where the creators are truly WORKING the routines they put out to the magic community! It certainly provides reassurance that this stuff does work, and it works exceptionally well!

And thanks for the nice comment on my site!
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Good luck with the project guys.

All the best

John
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:

On 2010-09-15 14:19, John Carey wrote:
Good luck with the project guys.

All the best

John
[/quote]

That's very kind of you to say John. I've put your idea on the DVD mate, you know, your version of Hypno-tastic with a straight deck (no dupes), thank you for letting me share this great idea of yours.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Chris and Gary,

Good luck with what sounds like a great project! For anybody that wants to see my original Packed Wallet it's in Simon Says and on the Methods Behind the Madness DVD's.

I hope you sell a ton of this new one!

Simon
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Thanks Simon, I love your book Simon Says and it is one of the books on my shelf that I keep going back to and re-reading. Packed wallet is one of my favourite routines in the book and is obviously my inspiration on this DVD.

Thanks for your good wishes, that means a lot to me.

All the best.

Chris
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Glad to put a smile on your face Chris and, of course, glad that you like the book. I look forward to seeing you do some of these routines one of these days!

Simon
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
The boys have done it again
This is by far the best BBM release, in fact its in a league of its own!
Just watched it today for the first time, no fillers on here, that's for sure.
I'll be doing Joker suprise, Kicked Right Back, Lee Smith’s Predicto-Pocket and Hypno-tastic at my gigs from now on!
A huge thanks for all the effort you have both put into this project, and for sharing this true "workers" material with us all.
Nice to see the salami apperence too, no DVD should be without one! Smile
Best of luck with the sales guys, I can't wait to get performing this stuff
Cheers
Matt

http://www.mattwainwright.com
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Just found this review on the excellent http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/ site.

‘Dupes’ from BBM – a mini review - Sep 22nd, 2010

Dupes is the latest offering from BBM and as its name suggests it explores the use of duplicate cards. Gary Jones and Chris Congreave have come up with most of the material and guide you through it with the occasional appearance of Ian Morain as a spectator.

Gary and Chris have a very natural manner in their performances and explanations and the DVD is well shot and easy to navigate as we have come to expect from BBM. It seems to be less wacky than some BBM discs, with the exception of the salami moment…

What about the tricks? Here’s the contents with a few thoughts.

Nearly CAAN
A very fair looking selected card at any number and dead easy to do thanks to the use of duplicates. They also teach a little 4 ace production at the start which reappears in a couple of routines using four of a kind. I like this routine a lot, but the deck is a bit of a one-trick pony…

Kicked Right Back
A nice little sandwich effect with a surprise kick. Two cards are selected and lost in the pack. The two black queens ‘catch’ 2 cards between them – but when the cards are removed they turn out to be the two black queens, whilst the queens in the performer’s hands have turned into the selections. This is a real worker and doesn’t require too much finger-flinging for a really strong effect.

Joker Surprise
The spectator’s selection is the only card which isn’t a joker. No real surprises here for the performer, but a funny effect for a layman. Again a one-trick pony, but a nice easy effect which would play well for lay-people.

C2B with Zilcho palm
2 black aces are placed in card box. Spectator’s card ends up sandwiched between the 2 aces in the card box, and the aces have changed to red ones on the way! This, for me, is one of the strongest tricks on the disc. A lot of magic happens – it looks very fair, and requires only basic card handling – and no palming.

Packed Wallet
2 chosen and signed cards are lost in the pack. The first one is found in performer’s pocket. Second is meant to appear in his wallet, but in fact the remainder of the pack turns up in the wallet, and the selection is in the performer’s hand all along. Another strong effect with a striking twist, and also a handy way to switch in a new deck! Requires some card controls and a rather bold move, but the latter is really easier than it looks.

Pocket Aces
A nice 4 aces to spectator’s pocket. Requires palming (and again some card controls) but a helpful discussion of this to reduce your fear! I rarely use palming but think I could manage this…

The Big Transpo
Spectator’s card apparently swaps places with a card in your pocket. Also a way of introducing a duplicate card to the deck. For me this is not a particularly entertaining effect, but it is fairly easy to do.

Jump Back Sandwich
Repeated signed card to joker sandwich. The use of a duplicate allows some really clean displays but this doesn’t appeal to me as much as some of the effects.

Sucker Deal
The old ‘next card I turn over will be yours’ sucker trick – but made much more powerful and visual with a dupe… However, I wonder if the dupes are seen in too close a succession in this routine which may make the workings a bit obvious.

Box Sitter
Chosen card appears under box in impossible conditions. Very clean. I like this a lot and can see this being a worker.

Pocket Interchange – and variations
The four aces and queens change places (from pockets to table) instantaneously. Very easy handling. As well as being a nice routine, it is a useful way to ditch a dupe. After the original handling several variations are provided.

First a non-pocket handling where the packets swap places on the table. Then a no gaff (i.e. no duplicates) handling is provided – which is a slightly odd inclusion on a dupes DVD (!) – but does mean you can do the routine impromptu. This requires a bit of extra handling and a slight discrepancy, but it still works! Then there is a third handling using sticky card – which is possibly even cleaner – but is obviously more gaff-intensive. Overall, I think I like the original best.

Lee Smith’s Predicto Pocket
Another ‘impossible’ signed card trick – where the previously shown ‘prediction card’ becomes the actual signed card the spectator chose. A few subtleties with the Hindu force which are nice. Possibly my favourite trick on DVD. Does require some palming (explained).

Hypno-Tastic
An easy to perform routine incorporating some gentle hypnotism (suggestion) to lead to a really nice reveal at the end. Also an extra non-dupe version for when you’re caught on the hop… This could be a real worker for my money.

The disc ends with a brief discussion on the use of duplicates and some tips for extra convincers.

Final Thoughts
Although most of the moves required are taught, it is probably fair to say the DVD assumes basic card control – however, I emphasise the ‘basic’ here – there is nothing out of the reach of most performers (with the possible exception of the palming).

I think most people would take at least a couple of effects from this DVD to use, and it should also stimulate further ideas with this under-utilised technique. For me – if a simple ploy like a duplicate card can reduce the amount of sleight of hand and increase the wow-factor of an effect, it is worth doing.

And if you buy it direct from BBM at the moment (£19.99) they will throw in a free copy of ‘Get Connected’ (worth £15)

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Another awesome review for Dupes by Akira Fist on his excellent review channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdTfPrBc1u0

Check out his other reviews, Akira has a straight to the point no nonsense way about his reviews, he says it as it is!

Akira didn't like the fact that we didn't explain all the sleights we used on the DVD, in a way I can see where he's coming from, but, we didn't want to explain the basic stuff. I would say our DVD isn't aimed at the beginner because we don't explain some of the basic things like card controls, or the top change for instance, but we do teach a couple of palms and a few other sleights though.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
...I would say our DVD isn't aimed at the beginner because we don't explain some of the basic things like card controls, or the top change for instance, but we do teach a couple of palms and a few other sleights though.

I think this should be mentioned in the ad. I will save a lot of heartache for the beginners.
Magic is a vanishing art.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 19:05, edh wrote:
Quote:
...I would say our DVD isn't aimed at the beginner because we don't explain some of the basic things like card controls, or the top change for instance, but we do teach a couple of palms and a few other sleights though.

I think this should be mentioned in the ad. I will save a lot of heartache for the beginners.

Hi edh,

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one (in the nicest of ways by the way Smile) if every DVD had to describe how to do double lifts, Elmsley counts and card controls there just wouldn't be the space to put the material on them.

We do explain sleights which are not the run of the mill standards, for instance I teach two different types of palms, and Chris teaches a couple of false counts which are not of the standard ilk!

On the DVD are a few self-workers, some intermediate and a few advanced effects, something for all levels, but even the self-workers will be enhanced with a false shuffle and a false cut!!

So no, this DVD and most other card DVDs out there are not for the complete beginner, but if you know the basics (and every magician should)then this is for you.

Hope this makes sense?

Regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Okay, I'm biased. But I think this is really good. A lot of practical tricks that WORK. Love Gary's C2B. Such a worker.

But some of the best stuff is between the tricks... between the lines. Gary and Chris have a lot of experience and their little tips on presentation are gold.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
I really like the dupe version of C2B. Very nice trick.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2010-10-05 13:43, james_thecanadian_magician wrote:
I really like the dupe version of C2B. Very nice trick.

Thanks James!

Another way of doing this is to use your pocket, you can then let the spectator reach in and remove the cards. I prefere the card box version the best, but you can do the pocket version on the fly if someone hands you their deck (the non dupe version)and you can't get to their card box. This routine also sits nicely with other card to/under card box effects.

Kind Regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

Cardmagicdavid
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Cardmagicdavid
This Dvd is very awesome . One of the best dvds I have seen in a long time. I like many of the effects on the dvd. My 3 favourite effects have got to be, Almost CAAN, C2B and Joker Surprise
Mark Southworth
View Profile
Veteran user
u.k
353 Posts

Profile of Mark Southworth
With all the glowing reviews I watched this & all I can say that the little something I've added thanks to this DVD is so strong even I believe it !! Reputation making stuff used correctly is devasting magic !

Great production all round from BBM !!

Well Done

Best

Mark
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2010-09-29 15:17, gjmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 19:05, edh wrote:
Quote:

Hi edh,

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one (in the nicest of ways by the way Smile) if every DVD had to describe how to do double lifts, Elmsley counts and card controls there just wouldn't be the space to put the material on them.

We do explain sleights which are not the run of the mill standards, for instance I teach two different types of palms, and Chris teaches a couple of false counts which are not of the standard ilk!

On the DVD are a few self-workers, some intermediate and a few advanced effects, something for all levels, but even the self-workers will be enhanced with a false shuffle and a false cut!!

So no, this DVD and most other card DVDs out there are not for the complete beginner, but if you know the basics (and every magician should)then this is for you.

Hope this makes sense?

Regards,

Gary Jones.

Totally agree. If you are a beginner you should be buying Duped by Gary Jones & Chris Congreaves. You should be reading Royal Road to Card Magic or Expert Card Technique. I for one, enjoyed the fact that you guys did not explain every single little count and lift. It made the DVD MUCH easier to watch than the typical magic DVD. I loved this DVD, it has practical and powerful magic contained within. This is real world material here. The older I get the more I want to use this type of material in my professional work. Why work harder than you have to? All these routines use double lifts, Elmsley Counts, etc. yet they totally destroy audiences! It's not what we do, it's HOW we do it. And this video totally proves that. I highly recommend this, it's a wonderful number. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dupes by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL