The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dupes by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Thank you Aaron, I'm really pleased you enjoyed the DVD, this is a very underused branch of card magic, yet it's so devious and cunning!! I've caught out so many magicians with some of this stuff at lectures and conventions, yet when they find out that it was oh so easy they can't wait to catch other magicians themselves, what chance does the layperson have lol!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
I'm sorry but I have to be honest here. I rarely post my own reviews of products but I purchased this two weeks ago based on my experience with past Gary Jones releases. To be completely honest, I was not impressed at all.

I assumed that this DVD would be packed full of effects that required one regular deck and one or two duplicate cards. I have been carrying a desk with a dupe or two for the past 5 years so I was excited when I heard about the DVD. Unfortunately it did not live up to the hype.

First off, some of the tricks didn't require a dupe or two. There were at least two tricks that I remembered that required full deck set-ups. That goes way beyond a dupe or two in my opinion. One of the tricks on the DVD even required no dupes (Pocket Interchange)....which doesn't make sense to me at all.

I also got the impression that both Gary and Chris pulled these effects together in a week or two. There was just a ton of stuff that I didn't like. I will list them all below to try and remain organized.

1) Both of them tried way too hard to be funy rather than actually teach the material. I mean come on. They made Ian sit on the floor and they were waving beef jerky sticks around and making stupid jokes about Tilts and everything. It came off as try-hard and really not genuine at all.

2) Chris was wearing a Spiderman T-shirt. Now everyone should be entitled to their own personal expressions but come on. At least dress somewhat presentable when you are creating a product that could potentially be viewed by hundreds of your peers around the world. I am not expecting a tux but I am expecting something a little more presentable.

3) Kicked Right Back is not original to either Chris or Gary. If they actually read the manual for Ryan's original Kickback effect then they would have read Paul Wilson's version of the effect that uses dupes rather than DBC's.

4) Gary used the same Ace Production several times in the DVD. When I buy a DVD I expect variety. I don't expect to see the same thing over and over again. Give me more for my money guys.

I apologize if I sound harsh but like I said, I rarely post reviews and I literally have 100's of DVD's in my collections. I was very unhappy when I saw this one. Nothing personal against Gary, Chris or BBM. They have all put out great DVD's in the past. This just definitely wasn't one of them in my opinion.

There are tons of effect's possible with Dupes.....unfortunately this DVD didn't even scratch the surface.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Okay, I don't mean to flame but I feel compelled to challenge a few things here.

Most tricks on the dvd were tricks which involved one or two Dupes. Only two (out of 14!) required full decks but... so? They are good tricks. And no one said that EVERY trick on the dvd involved a regular deck and a dupe or two.

The strength of the material on this dvd is that it's worker's stuff. I don't agree that the effects seemed thrown together. They seemed like tricks that one would use in the real world. You basically get 14 terrific, usable effects on this dvd. I think the Interchange variations alone are worth the price of the dvd.

One question: You said you didn't like a lot of the tricks but then you basically complained about the humor and wardrobe and hardly mentioned anything about the quality of the magic. What tricks didn't you like?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Hi MagicSteve84,

Just to pipe in, most of the effects just use one or two dupes, we added the Joker Surprise and Nearly CAAN as we had many requests from pros asking us if we would include them, and we also use them on a regular basis.

Now as for the non dupe Pocket Interchange version, we gave three versions, one being without a dupe, as I see it we actually gave more not less, but you can't please everyone!

OK you didn't like our humour, fair point!

I used the ace production and mentioned that you use your favourite production, the point wasn't about that (teaching ace productions), it was just to emphasise that you could do other effects before going into the explained effect, this was made clear on the DVD, I actually added the explanation of the 4 ace production as a bonus!

Nothing wrong with a spiderman t shirt, kinda digging the barrel and getting personal me thinks, check out nearly every DVD (not the L & L) and you will find that during the explanations most magicians go casual, this is Chris casual!

The salami made its return, OK you didn't like that bit, but what about the effects, as Cameron mentioned?

If the Kick Back was Paul Wilson's then I hold my hand up. I've been doing this since I read the original from Magic mag, I don't recall it being mentioned there but maybe someone will chirp in on this. I certainly wouldn't want to claim credit if it's already out there, even if I did independently come up with it.

For the record I perform C2B, Lee Smith’s Predicto Pocket, Hypno-Tastic, Pocket Interchange, Pocket Aces and Joker Surprise on a regular basis, both at gigs and at lectures, trust me I wouldn't just knock together a few effects just to make a DVD!

You're entitled to you opinion and that's fine, we can't please everyone and we know that.

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinions, really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary Jones.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
As Gary says everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think its a bit harsh to say that some of the effects looks put together in a couple of weeks? I have seen Gary and Chris slay layman with this material many times. And use much of it myself and have done for a while.

I use at least four of the effects on the DVD, and I always say if you get one or two effects from a project then its a good one, and I find much of the material on here very strong indeed.

And in regards to Chris's T Shirt he will be gutted, because many people don't know that he is in fact Peter Parker - aka SPIDER MAN!

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 05:49, Lee Smith wrote:
As Gary says everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think its a bit harsh to say that some of the effects looks put together in a couple of weeks? I have seen Gary and Chris slay layman with this material many times. And use much of it myself and have done for a while.

I use at least four of the effects on the DVD, and I always say if you get one or two effects from a project then its a good one, and I find much of the material on here very strong indeed.

And in regards to Chris's T Shirt he will be gutted, because many people don't know that he is in fact Peter Parker - aka SPIDER MAN!

Lee.

I honestly didn't know that Lee, but this would explain why Chris hangs around the red light districts in telephone boxes, to save the world lol!!

I'll be using your Predicto-Pocket at the showcase I'm doing on Monday Lee, but adding my name AND the agents contact details to the card. This is a killer effect for not only for getting your details to the spectators, but for also pushing corporate clients or their products!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 06:44, gjmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 05:49, Lee Smith wrote:

Lee.

I honestly didn't know that Lee, but this would explain why Chris hangs around the red light districts in telephone boxes, to save the world lol!!

I'll be using your Predicto-Pocket at the showcase I'm doing on Monday Lee, but adding my name AND the agents contact details to the card. This is a killer effect for not only for getting your details to the spectators, but for also pushing corporate clients or their products!

Gary Jones.

Its a great effect Gary (very strong! even if I do say so myself lol) and your input has made it even stronger and cleaner.

If you like you can put my details on there for Monday? I don't mind!

Joking aside this is great for any trade shows or corporate clients. I use it all the time.

Again, I love what you have done with it mate.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Just realised what I wrote, it's Superman who uses telephone boxes, maybe Chris is hanging out in these places for other reasons (only joknig Chris lol!).
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I disagree with what you said and I will talk about what you said point by point.

Quote:
I assumed that this DVD would be packed full of effects that required one regular deck and one or two duplicate cards. I have been carrying a desk with a dupe or two for the past 5 years so I was excited when I heard about the DVD. Unfortunately it did not live up to the hype.

About 9/14 effects fit that description. And who cares if there were some that didn't match your expectations? Variety is good, right?

Quote:
First off, some of the tricks didn't require a dupe or two. There were at least two tricks that I remembered that required full deck set-ups. That goes way beyond a dupe or two in my opinion. One of the tricks on the DVD even required no dupes (Pocket Interchange)....which doesn't make sense to me at all.

Um, the Pocket Interchange effect DID use dupes. They gave us two other versions for variety and selection! Don't complain about that! You should be glad that they did include some other options.

Quote:
1) Both of them tried way too hard to be funy rather than actually teach the material. I mean come on. They made Ian sit on the floor and they were waving beef jerky sticks around and making stupid jokes about Tilts and everything. It came off as try-hard and really not genuine at all.

Okay...and how does that affect YOUR magic? Now sure, some of the things did seem a bit silly, but once again; why does it matter? Do I care an old copy of the Jinx is slightly crinkled? No, because I care about what the material is, not how it's presented.

Quote:
2) Chris was wearing a Spiderman T-shirt. Now everyone should be entitled to their own personal expressions but come on. At least dress somewhat presentable when you are creating a product that could potentially be viewed by hundreds of your peers around the world. I am not expecting a tux but I am expecting something a little more presentable.

See my point above. However I DO agree with you that the shirt kind've bothered me too lol. But at the end of the day, what's it matter? Like the other guys said, this seemed like you were scaping the bottom of the barrel for criticism.

Quote:
3) Kicked Right Back is not original to either Chris or Gary. If they actually read the manual for Ryan's original Kickback effect then they would have read Paul Wilson's version of the effect that uses dupes rather than DBC's.

Im not familiar with the history on that effect so I won't comment.

Quote:
4) Gary used the same Ace Production several times in the DVD. When I buy a DVD I expect variety. I don't expect to see the same thing over and over again. Give me more for my money guys.

You say that you expect variety and then you ignore the variety that WAS actually given on the dvd! This ace production didn't even have to be taught! They could've just said, "Just use your favorite ace production." Instead they actually did teach a new ace production.

Quote:
Give me more for my money guys.

Seriously? They gave you a dvd with 12 effects that are currently being worked and have been worked much in the past, 2 extra ways of doing the Pocket Interchange, an extra ace production, a great subtlety you can add to many effects using dupes, and even a non-dupe way of doing C2B! Do all your other 100s of dvds provide that much value?

Sorry to be blunt with you, but right now your argument is quite flat. I, like the others, would be interested to hear more about what you have to say about the actual material.
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
I'm really hurt by the comments......about my t-shirt, my Daughter bought me that. Seriously though, who cares, at least I wore a nice shirt for the performance.

Ps if you really really don't like my t-shirt, don't get the 52 vs Joker project that is soon to be released, it's on there too! Smile
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 03:31, Christopher Congreave wrote:
I'm really hurt by the comments......about my t-shirt, my Daughter bought me that. Seriously though, who cares, at least I wore a nice shirt for the performance.

Ps if you really really don't like my t-shirt, don't get the 52 vs Joker project that is soon to be released, it's on there too! Smile

And is Gary wearing his banana man outfit?
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
No he's wearing a see through negligee.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
This is from Online Visions.....

"Dupes" DVD by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave
Suggested Retail USD$30.00
Available from your favorite dealer
In a Blink: 10 Out of 10

"Dupes", a DVD by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave, is one of those rarest of rare collections: a gathering of material based on what has got to be the oldest gaff in card magic that, if this were all the card magic you knew, would have you working in the finest of hotels and being kowtowed to by lesser performers who all want to grow up to be just like you.

Okay, so maybe that's a little over the top, but, man and boy, if it is, it's very little over the top. Yeah, I'm just that high on "Dupes".

Before we go much farther, let's get the whole "Dupes" thing out of the way. "Dupes" are not the people who bought… Nah, I won't name that trick; it would be just taking a cheap shot at an stationary target. "Dupes" refers to duplicate, ungimmicked cards added to the deck to accomplish effects. This is, as the ad copy says, "underused" nowadays, but used correctly, that extra card (or cards), combined with a regular deck, can turn out pure dynamite.

And speaking of explosive combinations, here's another one: Gary Jones and Chris Congreave.

Jones and Congreave are workers. They spend their time supporting their addictions to food, shelter, and clothing by being Out There, face-to-face with folks, and having to be entertaining and amazing each and every time. This material, some of their best to date, is staggeringly great stuff.

One of my friends told me once that you can tell how good material is by how badly you want to perform it after you see it or read it. If that's the case, then there's not a piece of filler on this disc because I want to perform them all (some more than others, granted, but still…)

I'm just going to hit the stuff that made me stop the disc, grab a deck, and get busy right off the bat:

"Almost CAAN" got my attention in a flash and it's the first effect on the disc. A card is chosen and returned by the spectator. The spectator squares the deck and the performer cuts it a couple of times. The spectator then names any number from 1 to 52 and they count to the card at that number. Yes, it's the chosen card. Now to be fair (as well I can be without tipping things), this is one of the few effects where the deck is pretty much useless for other things (the routine starts off with a nice Ace production, though), but it's also solid enough that this one just may be worth the pocket space.

"C2B (with Zilcho Palm)" is a palm-less and painless card-to-box routine that I flat out adore. A card is selected by a spectator and returned to the deck. The four Aces are shown. The two black Aces are put into the card case and the case closed. Just that quickly, the red Aces are shown to have changed to the black Aces. The spectator opens the box and finds three cards inside: the red Aces and the chosen card between them. I'll 'fess up: this one got me. Then when I watched the explanation, I got got all over again. Then they teach a "no dupe" version and my brain will never be the same again. A true worker, this one, and worth the cost of the disc.

"Packed Wallet" is the next gem. Two cards are chosen, signed, and replaced in the deck. After some shuffling and the like, one of the signed cards appears in the performer's pocket. The performer then pulls out his wallet, informing the remaining spectator his card is inside. When the spectator opens it, he finds the entire deck while the performer holds the selected card. This can be a bit tricky to pull off - bad angles have to be overcome by good misdirection - but it's surprisingly not all that bad. But the punch this one packs… oh, brother! Solid keeper here.

"Box Sitter" is another powerhouse. In this one, the Jokers are shown and set aside, then a card is selected, signed, and lost in the deck. The card case is lifted and a face-down card is shown underneath. It is turned over with the Jokers so no funny business could be done, and it's seen to be the signed card. I love this one just because of the presentational paths this thing can go down. Simple to do, amazing to watch.

"Hypno-Tastic" was another one that floored me, but unlike the others, I wasn't hit until I saw the explanation. In this one, a card is chosen and lost in the deck. The performer narrows it down to two cards and one is placed on each of the spectator's out-stretched hands. The spectator is told one hand is getting heavy, and heavier, until it's resting on the table. The card in that hand is revealed to be the selected card. This one is just plain weird and I loved it. It's the first thing off the disc I performed. To make things more interesting, there's even a non-dupe version just because.

There's a ton more on this disc, but for my money those routines are the diamonds among the gold here and any one of them worth buying this disc; taken as a collection with everything else and this is almost a steal.

And surprisingly enough, there's only on caveat here: this isn't for beginners. True enough, the use of a duplicate cuts back on the handling, but it doesn't eliminate it, and the Boys don't waste a lot of time going over the common sleights (they do concentrate on the not-so-run-of-the-mill moves, though, so rest easy there). This is for someone who's made it through double-lifts and palms and controls of all sorts; if you're a stranger to "Royal Road", then this one ain't for you just yet.

So, "Dupes" is loaded with creative routines that Jones and Congreave have every right to burst with pride over, the disc would be cheap at twice the price, and there are no drawbacks whatsoever. Do I recommend this one? And how! If you're a card worker, you need this like you need a new deck of Bikes and some spare cards, just in case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dupes" DVD by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave
In a Blink: 10 Out of 10

Material: 10
This stuff is all, without exception, high-quality, high-powered, commercial card work. For the more advanced worker, these routines are solid, sometimes striking stuff. This is one collection card workers are not going to want to be without.

Practicality: 10
It varies, particularly given the theme of the disc, and there are some routines that will have you lugging an extra deck around or looking for a table. Still, for the most part, these are incredibly practical routines, with nothing more than the advertised gaff (or gaffs) in sight.

Quality of Production: 10
Some will argue this one, what with the warehouse shoot and no live audience, but I dearly love the simplistic approach. I'm a grown-up; I can tell if something it going to work for me or not. Well, most times.

Quality of Instruction: 10
I loved the quick pace of the instruction. Common sleights? Mentioned, shown, but not drawn out (no re-learning a double-turnover for the billionth time). Ideas and selling points? Fully explained. This, folks, is what I call perfect.

Presentation: 10
This is what the material here is all about and it's all about workers, in every sense of the word. The Boys are workers, their routines are workers… which is to say always entertaining, sometimes funny, and more often than should be expected brain-freezingly astonishing.

Shane http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0903dupes.html

Thank you Shane for taking the time to review Dupes, very kind of you Sir.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Got this yesterday at Covent Garden magic stall, it is awesome!
Great variety, and I will be using Hypno - Tastic, C2B, Joker Surprise and more! Smile

Great DVD and very good value for money!

Kyle
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2011-10-28 06:23, KyleMacNeill wrote:
Got this yesterday at Covent Garden magic stall, it is awesome!
Great variety, and I will be using Hypno - Tastic, C2B, Joker Surprise and more! Smile

Great DVD and very good value for money!

Kyle

Thank you Kyle, I must get up to London soon to see the guys at the Magic Cave in Convent Garden, was Lee Hathaway there?

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Sorry, I am not sure if it was Magic Cave, it was just the little stall I always see, near the square market Smile

Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dupes by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL