The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Instant Radio version 2 - My Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Instant Radio version 2 - My Review

Buy it: http://www.magigadgets.com/InstantRadio.html

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzCAgETdIM

Price: About $50 + shipping US, depends upon exchange rate

Many different people have tried to create a similar gimmick where sound suddenly appears from nowhere. However none have come even close to the exceptional effort gone into this device. Version 2 screams "polished" in every way, from the care and handling taken before the gimmick is shipped out, to the little box it arrives in, and the color manual you receive.

Enter Instant Radio version 2 ...

What you get

A large plastic bag containing:

- Nice plastic carrying box with the gimmick
- Radio gimmick (size of a small box of raisins)
- Two wires from the gimmick with a speaker and switch
- Various pieces of Velcro and pins
- Small cushions, so you can customize how the switch works
- 12 page color manual
- Radio dial
- 1 color business card with a radio picture

So much care has been taken into the entire package. Wires are wrapped nicely with small black ties, like you'd get with a commercial electronics product. There's so many clips, Velcro hookups and gadgets that allow you to easily customize it to your own outfits. There's even a serial number on the box, and "Quality Checked and Tested" sticker. Now that's some nice customer service!

The Switch and Speaker

In a device like this, the design of your switch will make or break the product. And luckily the switch is GENIUS! Not only does it fit where it's supposed to quite well, it does so WITHOUT ANY SEWING OR CLIPS. So changing shirts of jackets are no problem, you just grab the equipment and stuff it into the new outfit and you're good to go. Better yet, the pack comes with several small cushion pads you can insert into the switch to customize it for your body type. Overweight, skinny, mesomorph - no problem. And even better - it's a non-slip design so it won't move around while you walk from table to table.

The speaker is the size of an Oreo cookie and can be mounted anywhere you want within about 2 feet from the device. Pull out how much wire you need, and wrap the little tie around it to hold the remainder in place. It's EXTREMELY LOUD. And no I don't mean it's just regular loud, it's EXTREMELY #@^%& LOUD, even outside. I had to adjust the volume to 10% for indoors, otherwise it scared the cat.

The Device

The gimmick contains an on/off switch (tight enough so you don't turn it off accidentally) and volume knob. The two buttons are used to "Reset" and "Scan". The manual says that it auto-scans and finds a station when you turn it on. The Reset is only necessary if you move cities and the stations change. I haven't needed to press Scan yet, since it always has a radio station ready to go.

I put it on a hard rock station, but when I turned it off and back on several hours later, it has a totally different station. So I'm unsure if you can lock and hold a particular station.

To get your own music, theoretically you can carry around a FM transmitter and just mash Scan until you find it, however the amount of pocket space used for this may not be worth it. Plus I'm unsure if you can keep that station between power offs/ons, causing you to mash Reset and Scan seven-billion times to find it again. Overall, that's NOT worth it to me, IMHO of course. Someone here probably has more experience at the button mastery than myself.

Lastly, it runs on 3 AAA batteries. I bought some Energizers from my local grocery store, and it's lasted me a long time.

The Manual

You also receive a large 12 page color manual, with pictures of all the components included and descriptions of what each does. Shahid Malik really did a great job on this as well:

Contents:
- Care and Caution
- How to operate instant radio v2
- Manual scanning and reset functions
- Assembling and installing in jacket (or short sleeved shirt)
- Alternative setups
- How to use instant radio v2
Activating the radio
Powering the radio on/off
Testing the reception
Silently auto-scanning
Breathing techniques
Handling tips/instructions
Scan feature: radio test and auto-scan test
- Ideas and effects to get you inspired and started
A shining example of what NOT TO DO
A few ideas ...

Questions and Customer Service

Every question I've asked to Shahid has been answered within 6-10 hours, so I'm pleased with his response times (even to my stupid questions). He also hangs out on the Café, and has answered many issues posted in the thread quickly.

Questions you probably have:

Does it pickup AM stations? No, just FM.

Can I set it to a specific station? No, you hit Reset and then Scan until you find your station.

Is there a LED display for the current station? No.

Does it require sewing? No - you receive a special non-slip rig to hold the actual radio device, and many Velcro with clips for the other items.

Do I need a jacket? No - a short sleeved T-shirt can be used, or a jacket, long-sleeved shirt, even a loose tank top if you do it right.

How long does it take to setup in a new outfit? About 5 minutes.

Do I need additional items to set it up for another outfit? No, just re-use the clips and such.

Where can I mount it? Anywhere on your body or clothing!

Any other clothing requirements? Pants/shoes? No - you can wear a g-string, no shoes and a t-shirt if you desire.

How do I store it? Just pop everything back into the hard plastic box, and you're all set for running through the airport, stick into your travel bag, whatever.

If a wire breaks, is it easy to replace? I haven't taken my apart, however I can see HUGE solder points where everything is connected. Popping it apart and re-attaching new wires I don't think would be an issue, even for a novice.

How long will this last? Hah, it's a radio! I have this old, beat up $5 radio I got off Amazon 6 years ago. I got it in water, dropped it on concrete at least 10 times, and it still runs fine. This thing will last you probably 25+ years.

What type of batteries does it use? 3 AAA batteries

Can you hear it outside? Not only that, but you can hear it from across the street ...

Does the squeaker have the same design? I asked already, and Shahid said yes.

Are the wires thin and flimsy like an iPhone headset? No, they are pretty durable and thick enough that you won't break them with an accidental yank.

Conclusion

I'm excessively happy with this gimmick, especially at this price. The care and detail that's gone into this outdoes every other magic device I've purchased (sans The Revelation by Dean Dill). It almost rivals a commercial product with the color manual, little ties on the wires, packaging and overall design. To say this is a quality gimmick would be the understatement of 2010.

If you're looking for a fun opener (Hey guys, you seen the Apple iPen? It does radio too!), something unusual to add to your magic presentations, this is $50 well spent. You'll wear it everywhere, surprising people with this never gets old.

I was at a shoe store with the girlfriend, and kept opening up these little cards at the register acting surprised when they played music. The clerk was scratching her head and going through them as we left. Too fun.

Highly, highly recommended.

The Official Spam

Quote:
This is definitely different. Shahid Malik has devised a new technique and set-up that is quick and can be activated almost at will. The sounds really does seem like it is coming from your hands.
Instant Radio is definitely worth checking out. It could make you an instant hit with your audiences!
- Magic Magazine.

And from a top professional....
I love this item. Outstanding and utterly reliable, this is just plain fun to play with and even more fun to perform. And it's priced way too low. Great item! - John Mendoza (USA)

Welcome to Instant Radio Version2 - a lot of technology and wizardry packed into a tiny little package!

With Instant Radio Ver2 you'll be able to create miracles in your bare hands.
Touch, squeeze or press anything and it becomes a Radio.... yes, real FM Radio sounds from anything.
Your hands are always totally empty, yet the Radio sounds really do seem to come from the object you're holding. It's so easy to do, and you've got nothing to palm, hide or get rid of.

The illusion is perfect, and you'll instantly be getting incredible audience reactions with Instant Radio Ver2!

Wizard Product Review with Instant Radio v2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni3dIj90Oa4
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1503 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Great review
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Thank you!

One of the best reviews. I'm sold. Now, where should I go? Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
144 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
Read your review tonight. Thanks for sharing. Confirmed my decision.
Had been sold on it earlier and finally pulled the switch and ordered mine from Shahid Malik this morning. Looking forward to the fun. Enjoy sharing your magic. cheaha bill
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13647 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Oh man! I am more excited about this than just about anything I have ordered before! I sent my dough to Elmwood and I literally can't WAIT till this arrives in my mailbox! My mind is spinning with the possibilities of doing this virtually ANYWHERE! Just think. Any object you pick up turns into a radio! What could be more versatile?

Yup. This could be the reputation maker of the decade!

Thanks for the great, detailed review!

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 6:36pm
If you snap your fingers your eyes cannot track the movement of one finger moving to a new position. Your brain fills in the blank that movement must have taken place.

It is possible to turn a card so fast with you hand that your eye can't detect it. You can throw a coin with your hand so fast your eye can't follow it. You can switch two cards faster than your eye can detect. The movement by the hand or caused directly by the hand is imperceptible by the eye and untraceable that makes the hand in specific rare instances faster than the eye.

Back to the original brainstorm, what other effects beat the eye?

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 7:18pm
I liked the concept so much I just turned around and also ordered the squeaker. I'm gonna have more fun everywhere I go than a barrel of monkeys!

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 1:03pm
Could someone tell me if it's possible to wear both these units at once, so you can do either the squeak or the radio, depending on your mood?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 13:03, daffydoug wrote:
Could someone tell me if it's possible to wear both these units at once, so you can do either the squeak or the radio, depending on your mood?

It's possible, however it would be awkward to move around.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2102 Posts

Or you'll end up with two sore arms Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13647 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
OK. Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it would be practical. Looks like it's not. Would be cool if you could, though.

I guess what I was thinking, even though my units have not arrived yet, was that from what I've read the units are small. So I was thinking possibly two of them could fit comfortably under your clothes allowing you the flexibility to go from squeak to radio at your whim..
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
916 Posts

Profile of Martino
I believe Gary Jones asked this question of the devices' creator Shahid Malik. Might be worth an email directly to him about using the two units at once.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2102 Posts

It's possible tho and my statement about "two sore arms" was actually an exaggerating condition.

You'll be fine for sure, just don't forget which side is the radio and squeaker.

I haven't tried the one with toe switch, but this version works like a charm. I had a trouble with the setup at the beginning but it was because I was so excited and skipped some points from the instruction booklet.

gaffed reminded me of the setup part with clothing (undershirt) and now it works like a charm. I even have a personalized pants where my tailor has made an inside pocket on the waist line and it's more than enough for the radio. Talking about easy setup! To activate the sound, I don't need a big and obvious movement. I couldn't even see the movement when I activated it. So much fun with this.

With two units, one IR and one Squeaker, you can have a great fun even with empty hand. Cup your hands and open it, it will plays music, close it and now tap your right palm with your left finger, it squeaks. Just simple example tho.

I'll have fun with the IR from now on. One of the best prop I've ever bought. Thanks Shahid Smile
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I use a buskers vest with two topits and I wear Instant radio 2 and Electro Magic squeeker.

I use the radio card and do the radio gag, ending with it on their head and opening their mouth. Most of the time they ask what the red button on the radio card does. I say "I don't know, push it." When they push it I hit the Squeeker. Kind of a finish for the routine.

I also use the Radio as an ending to Pom Pom pole. When I open the pole the radio plays and I look confused and then throw the pole in my bag. Gets a HUGE laugh.
James

Quote:
On 2010-09-25 13:03, daffydoug wrote:
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13647 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do you guys have a wild imagination like I do? Can you imagine the possibilities for freaking people out?

I go to Subway a lot. Imagine going into Subway. You order a sub. You go back up to the counter to complain. The lady asks what's wrong, and as you separate the buns...
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
If anyone that has the radio, and also has the squeeker, is the hook up the same?
Thanks

Don
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
965 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
Go to your dentist's, take out a collapsible antenna (or pointer), open it up and touch one end to your dental work, making the radio play loudly. Remove antenna from mouth and the radio stops playing. After your dentist recovers from the shock, assure him you will not be filing a malpractice claim, but say you would like to take him on the road to demonstrate your new-found abnormality.

Have fun!
CM

P.S. If you could select the proper channel to play, the radio playing in the background could provide just the right the right mood for another trick. It also could provide the perfect cover for those who worry about vibration or other noises in other effects, such as Ultracinese and the Psi Sharpie!
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Exactly the same.

Quote:
On 2010-09-26 16:28, magicman1 wrote:
If anyone that has the radio, and also has the squeeker, is the hook up the same?
Thanks

Don
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13647 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 17:46, chrismatt wrote:
Go to your dentist's, take out a collapsible antenna (or pointer), open it up and touch one end to your dental work, making the radio play loudly. Remove antenna from mouth and the radio stops playing. After your dentist recovers from the shock, assure him you will not be filing a malpractice claim, but say you would like to take him on the road to demonstrate your new-found abnormality.

Have fun!
CM

That one made me laugh my butt off! Brilliant! Or if you are going in the hospital to have surgery...
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Thanks xiqual

Don
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13647 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Man!! Mine just arrived and I've been messing around with it setting it up, and I am already having more fun than I could have imagined!

I'm going to have an absolute blast with this!
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
144 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
My order is on it's way....
I collect old tube radios, when I buy them they often don't work. I am excited about tinkering and repairing them on the spot.....of course after the deal is done.
looking forward to sharing the magic. cheaha bill
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13647 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You got me laughing thinking about it!

Posted: Sep 28, 2010 6:04pm is post to forum moderator View Posters IP (Moderators/Admins Only)
Big tip: If you don't want to mess with velcro, Duct tape works wonders! I'm just now discovering.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Instant Radio version 2 - My Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL