The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The little darlings Your favorite 3 to perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Just wondering what are your favorite 3 effects to perform for kids shows that eat up a lot of time and you can really milk with byplay?
1. Vanishing bandana (even though there really isn't alot of byplay)
2. Egg bag
3. Sorcerer's Apprentice
How about you?
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Well, let's see ...

1. Colouring book (blank, uncoloured, coloured), which I love to use as the Theme! They spend the whole time being naughty, and refilling the colours!

2. I use a vanishing deck, then get them to search the room for it, and when they find it (yes, planted before they got there), I multiply it using the appearing decks!

3. Cups & Balls ... they have to guess where the ball is at any time (like people do on the streets for money).

There's load of others, but these get the best reactions!

James.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Abduls Fez routine that ends with fez either getting bigger or smaller depending on my helper's head size and finishing with a paper garland inside. The bending wand and breakaway fan also are used and the whole thing segues into a six card repeat with child holding the hat.

I put this together to replace the Abdul's Fez / Silk Serenade combination trick which became obsolete to today's youngsters.

The next would be a cut and restored rope with a Karate Theme - lots of by play

Finally the linking ring routine - a five ring routine I learned from Al Schneider and I have been doing for years now.

BTW although these threee routines do eat up the time I do not consider them time wasters. They are good solid strong effects that are the backbone of my show.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
How about!
1. Coloring Book
2. Super Frog
3. Rabbit Escape (squared circle) and found in Hat!!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
soft soap
locked deck
sad/happy clown
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
1. Pom Pom Pole
2. Die Box
3. Pro Viper
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
1. comedy clock suprise (supreme magic co.)
2. rock racoon combined with the drawer box and break away wand and nested wands
3. paper hat tear
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
*Spring Wand (not even a trick but it takes a good five minutes)
*Sucker Die Box (The expression on their faces when I open that last door.)
*Balloon Animal To Bunny (I love flicking myself with the balloon and the finale is so unexpected that kids wet their pants)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
1 - Chair Suspension

2 - Dream Bag

3 - Misers Dream
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
977 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I was just wondering why nobody mentioned the Axtell products? The drawing board and pizza to go. Do any of you use these two regularly in your shows?
I'm interested in getting them after hearing how good they are.
JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I am amazed that so many people would reply to this post!
"Just" because it's a kids' show, do you think it's all right to "eat up time"?
One of the dealer/catalog lines that I truly hate is: "A good time-waster".
If I wanted to waste time, I certainly wouldn't be doing the show that I'm doing!
You are cheating the client and your audience if you are just trying to kill some time in your show.

If you are getting paid for the show, it is theft -- pure and simple.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Peter,
I have to say I agree with you on this one. When I think about my program and what effects are to go into it, I look not on how long it will take but rather how much fun can it generate and if a lesson can be learned from it. If a lesson can be taught then I might try to make it a fun lesson. Right now I have only one effect that I would call just "filler" and I am looking to replace it with something else that is not just "filler". However, I only have two routines that are not replacable and they are of my own devising so don't ask what they are. Everything else is subject to replacement at my discretion. Then again this is just my opinion.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Samuel Catoe writes: "Then again this is just my opinion."

But it's a good one!
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Why do you want to "eat up a lot of time?"
It seems that the time that I spend doing what I truly enjoy goes by quickly enough.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree, as well. I do not look at a trick by how much time it can take up in my show. I look mainly at the entertainment value I can get from it and how entertained my audience will be from it.

I also look to see if there are any "dead" spots in the routine that might be better taken out, or comedy added into to it.

If an effect is getting a great response from the audience, and they are truly enjoying it, it really does not matter to me how long it runs, just as long as I am getting impact from it.

Of course, I am aware of how long the show runs, and I stick to the time limit the client asks of me, but when creating routines, I never limit myself with saying, "Oh, this has to be exactly 5 mins." I think that hinders creativity.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I remember first starting out many years ago and worrying about "eating up time". Now I have the opposite problem, and I almost always go over. This actually has helped quite a bit. I know I'm going to go over, so I announce that I have "one special trick" just because the kids were so much fun.

My favorites are:

Elusive Bunny Box
Instant Magician
Comedy Linking Rings
Rkull
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Rkull
1. vanishing a silk and reproducing it from her pocket
2. sponge ball routine
3. Judith the mouse with a handkerchief
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
My favourite prop at the moment has to be Bigger Wands!
Mark
trixsntracks
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of trixsntracks
I'm with keeblem! Bigger Wands is simply brilliant!
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
I always do a suspension/levitation or Origami, the multiplying bottles, and a book test. If there is time, I do my card act....

cw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The little darlings Your favorite 3 to perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL