The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about using top palm to start Ambitious Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

henry46
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of henry46
I never liked starting with an AC routine by showing the selection with a double lift, either after a tilt or bluff pass. It seems obvious. The other day I tried something. I palmed off the top card while the AC was selected, then after the AC was placed on top of the deck, I covered it with the palmed card. It worked great. When I put top card into the middle, there was NO DOUBT that it was the original selection (of course it was the palmed X card). It was much stronger than putting the top x card into the middle after a DL.

Here’s the problem. I felt awkward replacing the palmed card on top of the AC on the deck. I got away with it, but I may have just been lucky. Here’s what I did: While the Spec was signing the AC, I did a top palm ( I have a pretty good one-hand top palm, but there’s so much misdirection that a two-hand top palm would be fine). Then I extended the deck out with my left hand, asking the Spec to put the AC on top of the deck. I then brought the deck back into my body and put my right hand over the deck to load the palmed card over the AC. That’s the part I was unsure of. I said “OK you put your card on the top (I pointed to top card). Now watch me put in the middle.” Then I slowly put the x card in the middle, did a bluff move and showed their AC back on top.

Does anyone know a natural way to get the palmed x card over their AC selection, either with a cover move or convincing patter?

Also, has anyone else tried palming in ac? It’s probably been done, but I haven’t come across it.

Henry
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Never tried it. If you don't like starting AC with a DL, how about starting with a Tilt?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Shimada pointed out to me once that he never did the strongest dove productions in the beginning of the act. People are not watching yet. "I produce two, three doves first, and then when people are watching very close I use my strongest and most impossible production."

The first couple of moves in the Ambitious Card are not very important, because people are not yet focused on the trick, and are not analyzing the method yet. The third sequence is the important one. That is the one that needs to kill the audience, and has to be done under intense fire. The audience will be burning you now. And then that is the end of the trick.

The audience gives up and wants to walk away. It is the immutable law of three. To repeat the effect again, you have to give the audience a reason to "come back" and watch it again. "I'll do it face-up" "Watch, I'll let you do it." "I'll bend the card"

The replacement of a palmed card is one of the more difficult moves to do without suspicion. Vernon and others have given it a lot of discussion.

The biggest difficulty will be to replace a card on the top of the deck just as you are calling attention to the top of the deck.
NoahJLevine
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of NoahJLevine
Here's a thought. Have them place the card on top of the pack and tell them " when I slap the pack your card will jump to the top of the pack". Slap the pack unloading the card and ask the spectator if they would be amazed if their card was now on the top. They'll say no. You then take the top card and place it in the pack and say "how about now?" What's good about this is that you basically get them to confirm in their mind that the card is on top. Oh well.

Noah Levine
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Why not turn the deck over as you bring it to your right hand, replacing the card on the 'bottom' of the overturned deck?

I think it's an excellent idea by the way. To an audience why would you have a card in your hand already when the money card is on the table?
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Top-change
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

I think you're running when you're not being chased.

Why not just do a Le Paul Bluff Pass instead? This is an excellent sleight. When done properly, the card will appear as if you have placed it in the center of the deck.

Just a thought. Smile
Jason London

This space for rent
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4826 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
If you are willing to palm a card why not have them choose the card and replace it in the deck and side steal the card to the top. Or, have them place their chosen card face up on the bottom of the deck. Do a faceup DL transferring or placing the card(s) on top leaving the selected card 2nd from the top and ready to start the ACR.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Henry,
I'll admit that it does seem a little bizarre to me to palm a card at the very beginning of your Ambitious Card routine.

Whit's answer is probably the tastiest food for thought here and will hopefully go someway in getting you to re-think your opening phase. However, should you decide not to change your mind, I think Noah has an excellent presentational angle that will help you easily cover the replacement of the palmed card.

If you want your audience to be convinced that the card is the top one before you place it into the deck this early on, then why not simply perform one of the many Ambitous Card moves that lets you actually show a single as the top card?

By the way, if you think that tilts, double lifts, and bluff passes "seem obvious", you might like to spend a little time analysing your performance of them to find out why this may be so.
I mean no disrespect.

Kind regards,
Stephen
Hello.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Stephen, that Jean-Claude Van Damme quote is now my personal motto. Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Whit Haydn has one of the best ambitious card routines I've ever seen -- and that was about 17 or 18 year ago. I'd take his advice.

I'd agree that adding a palmed card to the top of a deck is pretty tricky, I'm not thrilled with any of the methods in Royal Road or Expert Card Technique, but you should check them out, if you haven't already, to see what the masters say on the subject. I do like the slapping idea a lot.

A side steal or a pass would enable you to have the card placed in the center and immedietely have it appear genuinely on top, if that's your main goal. A turnover pass, showing it's not on the bottom or top, is nice.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
henry46
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of henry46
Thanks for all the suggestions and viewpoints. The feedback on this list is excellent. I did come up with a new solution, which I'll share with you. First, just some comments on some of your replies:

Noah: I like the idea of slapping the deck and making sort of a gag out of it. The only problem is that it does lead to questioning whether the top card is the AC. I could DL to show it AC on top. Although I wanted to avoid a DL altogether, it wouldn't have the same heat, since I would only be confirming the expectation that the AC was on top all the time.

Whit Hayden: You said "The biggest difficulty will be to replace a card on the top of the deck just as you are calling attention to the top of the deck." Bingo. You put your finger on the problem that I had been having with it. I think I did find a way around it though, More in a minute.

Larry: I like your idea of "have them place their chosen card face up on the bottom of the deck. Do a faceup DL transferring or placing the card(s) on top leaving the selected card 2nd from the top and ready to start the ACR." To add on to that, I could justify putting it on the bottom by fanning the cards face up to show that the AC is so different (while holding a break under the card below the AC, then turning over both and putting them on top of the deck. I'm going to try it.

To the others: Thanks again.

Here's what I came up with last night. I haven't tried it yet. Remember, my intent was to put the AC second from top the and bury the top card (the replaced palmed x card) without any question that it is the AC that is buried.

After Spec selects and signs AC, place the deck on the table and ask Spec to put AC on top of deck. Ask Spec to return Sharpie. Take back the sharpie with left hand, while putting the right hand (in which the x card is palmed) dropping the x card on top as you take it back. Finally, bury x card, fake move, then turn over top card to reveal AC.

I’ll let you know how it came out after I try it out. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Henry
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1567 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Thanks for the opening of this thread. I learned a lot about the rationale behind the AC, rather than simply make up moves from Daryl video.

By the way, I think we all must have our own AC routine, and the most important matter is, each of them will not be identical, and look magical to spectators.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

http://rubiksdream.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Replacement of a palmed card or cards? Decking the Top in Aaron Fisher's Paper Engine. One of the best ways out there. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about using top palm to start Ambitious Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL