The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much magic in a day? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yes, I did. At my peak I practiced about 8 hours a day every day. And, that was going to school and working also. It would sometimes keep me up half the night trying to work out some problem with a sleight that was driving me nuts, etc.

Personally, I find doing magic too much is probably one of the truly benign fanaticisms. It won't give you cancer, cause you to rob a liquer store or drive you too crazy. Carry on,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
GTDude11
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of GTDude11
I personally practice for 3-4 hours a day but I’m not in school at the moment and when I’m in school that narrows down to about 1 hour to 2 hours.
"A genius is 1 % inspiration and 99% perspiration "-Thomas Edison
MAGIC RULES!!!

GTDUDE11
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
I constantly rehearse. The real reason is so I can beat the laws of numbers. The chances are that sooner or later you will have a really bad show. Your hand will cramp up, a gimmick will fail, the audience is drunk...whatever. But if you are practicing more than performing, the odds are your bad show will be in your rehearsal and not on stage. I firmly believe that this has saved my butt many times! But still try to take some time off so you don't eventually suffer from burnout. This can be just as damaging.
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
I have natural breaks in life. Work, school, etc. after a while it just eats away at me. I wanna practice and work on new concepts but, I should sleep instead. Sometimes when I have been up for 2 days and still can't sleep I get awesome ideas. Balance is life from an eastern philosophy. Ying Yang. Karma. I get fidgety and need a deck of cards every once in awhile. Where’s a good Doc. when you need one? LoL.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
My wife sometimes feels neglected because of magic... I try to make it up to her but it's difficult to balance two passions...

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
My family is my first passion. It all depends on your priorities and everyone has different ones. But I do recommend getting into something else (in fact several something elses) if you can. The more well-rounded you are the better performer you will be. Then you can integrate these other "passions" into your performance. Look at Jeff McBride. You see his passions of mime, movement, Kabuki Theater, and martial arts melded into his performances to raise him to a level far beyond that which someone who does nothing but sleights will ever reach.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
jarrod
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of jarrod
Quote:
On 2003-07-08 14:56, jonesc2ii wrote:
Many times I can't sleep because my mind is trying to figure something out, like how to produce a duplicate signature for example!

Does anyone else have this kind of insomnia?!

You have no idea. 90% of nights up lying in bed for at least hours, mentally practicing my tricks. And magic is only a hobby for me!
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Play with your kids!!! Before you know it they will be in their teens and you'll regret not spending time with them!
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Quote:
On 2003-07-08 14:56, jonesc2ii wrote:
ADDITIONAL:
Many times I can't sleep because my mind is trying to figure something out, like how to produce a duplicate signature for example!

Does anyone else have this kind of insomnia?!

We must be brothers. I have spent days trying to work out an effect and have solved it while I was asleep. Sleep is the friend, not the enemy Smile
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Lately it seems that I'm almost always fiddling around with a deck of cards or a couple of coins. But I do try to set aside a few hours a day for serious, focused practice and rehearsal. I tend to get more accomplished during these sessions than when I am simply playing with a deck of cards while watching TV or something.

There have been times, however, that I have gotten kind of crazy with my practicing (8, 10 hours a day) and I do tend to get a little burned out after a while if I get to that extreme.

I don't seem to have problems getting inspiration to practice; I have problems with keeping magic from taking over my life.

I too suffer from insomnia, and I will occasionally get up at three in the morning to practice when I can't sleep. I know what you mean, Gary; sleep is a wonderful thing that I certainly wouldn't mind getting more of.

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
It seems that is a personal thing. Everyones lives are a bit different. I personally wish i had more time to practice and do research. It seems I am always having to switch gears (so to speak). But, like many, I am balancing a lot. A few of the things that I have to keep in balance are as follows:
Time alone for prayer and meditation (I will leave it at that as i do not want to turn this into any sort of a "religious" discussion).
My family (time with my wife and raising two children).
My job (engineer in the aerospace industry).
My church (I am involved as a deacon and chairman of our missions committee).
Those are the major components in my life at present. But I would'nt have it any other way, it's all good!
Then whatever time is left I am practicing magic or watching a video or into a book or strolling around here at the Magic Café'. Smile

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
vootrage
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of vootrage
I practice way too often also. Smile But if you enjoy it its ok. I practice about 1-5 hours a day. And if I do it before bed I do find myself getting up several times a night to pick up a pack of cards and figure things out. Your not alone. We both need breaks....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much magic in a day? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL