The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Clive Barker Vs. Stephen King (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mstgracy
View Profile
Regular user
United States
139 Posts

Profile of mstgracy
Its not fair to compare them I know it isn't rational however I want some other opinions here.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3226 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Lovecraft
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
James Herbert trumps both.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I prefer King, myself.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mstgracy
View Profile
Regular user
United States
139 Posts

Profile of mstgracy
I have the 1930's Scfi magazines premireing Mountains of Madness.
mstgracy
View Profile
Regular user
United States
139 Posts

Profile of mstgracy
I'm a barker fan personally. but I will have to read some herbert
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Try Charles Stross and/or Peter Watts. Both have put stories online so you can sample their works. May I suggest Watts "Ambassador" (space stuff) or "Bulk Food" (getting along with whales) to start. Charles Stross stories including A Colder War and Missile Gap are are also online to sample - and savor Smile

Their most recent works, "The Fuller Memorandum" (stross) and "Blindsight" (watts) are fine reads.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mstgracy
View Profile
Regular user
United States
139 Posts

Profile of mstgracy
Thanks I work at a library so I have acess to allot of these what a day job!
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I found King's novels to be more psychologically thrilling, and Barker to be outright horror. Take that with a grain of salt.

Personally, I love both!
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Steven King wrote a story about a box of toys. Clive Barker might have added that the Barbies's set them up to it - and that it was all a plan by the leggo to bring back their popularity (after the other parties refused to make "intimate" movies for viewmaster) - ending with a reference to how tiresome it got when raggedy anne and andy found out they were siblings. Story left open to their revenge.

;)

Perhaps some like Stross (Lovecraft/Flemming) will do thematic mashups between the meta-fiction of those authors.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Like 'em both, prefer Stephen King. Also really enjoy John Saul and Tim Lebbon.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:21, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Steven King wrote a story about a box of toys. Clive Barker might have added that the Barbies's set them up to it - and that it was all a plan by the leggo to bring back their popularity (after the other parties refused to make "intimate" movies for viewmaster) - ending with a reference to how tiresome it got when raggedy anne and andy found out they were siblings. Story left open to their revenge.

;)

Perhaps some like Stross (Lovecraft/Flemming) will do thematic mashups between the meta-fiction of those authors.

Barker may be more interested in Barbi and Ken's kinky eroticism driven by their anatomical limitations, which leads to horrific violence when Ken removes Barbi's head and hides it somewhere in her dream house.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Also a Lovecraft fan. I would pick Barker. The Hellbound Heart was pretty psychologically disturbing to me. The whole idea of how to seperate pleasure from pain and that feeling pain is better than feeling nothing is pretty unsettling.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Clive Barker Vs. Stephen King (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL