The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Unimaginable Exposure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I usually try to settle down after seeing exposure, but it is simply relentless.

I started my computer up and, as usual, the home page came up. It is set to MSN. Also as usual, there are several news stories, sports, etc. that pop up. To my disbelief, up came a series of videos about how to do some magic tricks. There was a complete exposure of a mental card trick with multiple outs, a retention coin vanish, etc., but the biggest shock was a complete reveal of the Chicago Opener/Red Hot Mama, with reveals of the double lift and the Hindu shuffle force. This simply made my jaw drop.

Gianni
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
There's a guy named Greg Solomon on youtube who decided to reveal the method a while ago. He also revealed scotch and soda and a few others as I remember.

I saw a close up restaurant act a while ago, and the magician did the Chicago Opener to the table next to us. The couple was less than amazed, and then asked to see something they couldn't learn on youtube. The only thing stopping me from decking that guy was that fact that I was on a date night with the girlfriend.

I feel your pain.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I saw the same thing as my homepage is MSN. A shame. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Did somebody try to contact this guy and ask him WHY he's doing that ?

I don't use MSN, but anyway I think that this isn't doing good for our magic to bring out exposure videos on the internet. The problem is that today those videos spread faster and wider than before.

THose days when youtube only existed, only curious people would search to find explanation of diffrent tricks.

Today everyone who likes a video on the internet can put it on his wall of facebook, twitter etc...for all his friends to share, so a lot more people got the possibility to see those videos.

The only reason of doing such things is that he's frustrated, but about what ? That magic isn't his full day job ? That he isn't making money with it ? That somebody else was better than he was in a competition ?

Oliver.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I watched Greg Solomon's youtube videos again, and it seems that he's doing it because he's annoyed that people are actually selling magic for money. Apparently, he's of the belief that these things should come free.
mstgracy
View Profile
Regular user
United States
139 Posts

Profile of mstgracy
Youtube exposure is rediculous I can't stand seeing people ruining magic for everyone.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The real question is...

Where do we go from here?

What do we do to cope with this?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Who Cares!!!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:29, Double J wrote:
Who Cares!!!

Well, that's one way to see it... Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Everyone who is not an ass...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:54, mandarin wrote:

That's not fair. You sir, don't know me.

But really, it's no big deal.
mstgracy
View Profile
Regular user
United States
139 Posts

Profile of mstgracy
That is a very logical approach the theraputic then what what do we do about it. COuld it be considered copyright breech to reveal on you tube if so we can flag and make sure moderators of youtube know.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:57, mstgracy wrote:
That is a very logical approach the theraputic then what what do we do about it. COuld it be considered copyright breech to reveal on you tube if so we can flag and make sure moderators of youtube know.

I really doubt they care, even a little bit.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Nope. Not a Copyright breach. Sorry.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:51, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:29, Double J wrote:
Who Cares!!!

Well, that's one way to see it... Smile

Don't let the innocence of that comment go by. I agree to some degree. Who cares? Think about it. Do you really believe any of our spectators believe we can do magic? They KNOW its a trick. Don't get me wrong; I HATE exposure. But even magicians love watching a master perform-- not just because we're "into" magic, but because we appreciate the entertainment. I think we puff up so much that we forget that the average layman loves entertainment as well, and we believe that all is lost because they have seen some youtube vid that shows us how it happened.

How many times do we need to hear that it is our skills and dedication as performers that allow us to raise our spectators to a level to which the "secret" just isn't the end all after all? I cannot keep my jaw from dropping while watching someone who has his Zombie or Dancing Cane or silk routine, or even a clever, polished sponge ball routine... down solid... in many cases because he/she is doing what I cannot. STOP BEING A MAGICIAN. Once you get to this point, you'll still shake your head at the grunts who minimize the craft to the mere level of knowing the cause and effect, but you'll sleep a lot better at night knowing that it is you, the practiced professional, who can astound in spite of that.

Now, go and amaze.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:57, Double J wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 20:54, mandarin wrote:

That's not fair. You sir, don't know me.

But really, it's no big deal.

I agree with you totally, Double J, please accept my apology. As one who believes apathy should be one of the seven deadly sins, I so strongly feel that the trashing of our art should be met with at least some outcry from the magic community...
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
I used to worry about exposure, but I don't any more. On the internet, the only people seeking it out are those interested in magic. As for TV stuff, I'd prefer they not expose it, but, honestly, I don't think people remember what they saw anyway. If a trick you do is exposed by the masked idiot, then don't perform it for a few weeks if you are concerned. Otherwise, it won't matter.

One of the most exposed tricks out there is a TT vanish of a silk, but I'll bet most of us can still fool most laymen with it, if it's performed properly. Also, most people have heard of palming and have an idea what it means. Does that mean you can't fool someone with it?

I don't care for exposure, but life's too short.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 08:31, mandarin wrote:

I agree with you totally, Double J, please accept my apology. As one who believes apathy should be one of the seven deadly sins, I so strongly feel that the trashing of our art should be met with at least some outcry from the magic community...

But isn't apathy the better way to respond to exposure. To do otherwise is to draw further attention to it and give it false value. If we treat it in a blasé manner then it will quickly fade away and give the exposer little reason to expose more.

But if we play into their hands and get all worked up about it then more attention is aroused and the exposer given motivation to continue in his endeavors.

Since there is nothing we can really do to prohibit or punish exposure isn't it better to take the high road than to end up looking foolish by wailing and gnashing our teeth?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

To me, apathy is not better. I believe history points our rather clearly that apathy leads to many bad ends. Not much gets better by being ignored...
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Perhaps "apathy" is too much to the extreme. Mandarin, I know by reading your posts you are a true champion against exposure. I applaud that. I believe we should safeguard with the utmost diligence the craft we love.

In the past, the knowledge was passed down by mentors to students, those deemed worthy to entrust the secrets we hold dear. The current state of commerce, combined with the free flow (or free "fall," as I call it) of information and the all-but-forgotten model of the mentor/student relationship has helped open the floodgates of exposure. Add to that mix those that do not share the moral or ethical standards we do, and you have the current state of affairs.

Accept it? Not at all. We continue our due diligence, but we don't allow the masked idiots of tv or the unmasked morons of the internet to lead us to an early grave. Perfection in our performances, originality in our presentations and marketed effects, unwavering in our own individual ethics and standards...in m opinion that is the high road that will guard our craft and our blood pressure.

Then again, maybe I'm just being naive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Unimaginable Exposure (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL