The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 5 Great Tips but how would you make them better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

promagic
View Profile
New user
Ireland
5 Posts

Profile of promagic
1. At in international convention; Invite a group of magicians from different countries to meet up and discuss the business of magic. Everyone is free to share ideas because you are not be in competition with each other (PM me if you want to be involved in the one I run at Blackpool convention England February)

2. Keep a database of previous clients. The more details the better. Then if you have a new show/product let them know. Beautifully simple.

3. If a client is bartering with you: Barter with time not money. EG: at a close up gig, Instead of dropping your price offer to do an extra hour for free. Its a win win.

4. Track where your clients come from. How many shows did your add in the yellow pages bring you last year? Was it worth the cost?

5. Elance is a great resource for getting any web-based work done. I one of my non-magic sites designed, built and hosted with: Homepage, Gallery, Testimonials, Integrated Blog, Contact Form with auto responder, Streaming video and Shopping Cart for 250 Euro!! its all CMS so I can edit content easily too.

Take these 5 and run with them...
What could improve them?

Looking forward to your insights,
Brian
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
First, Welcome

Second. Marketing campaigns are usually mounted as if you are a commodity unless you are very well known. To that end there are a gazillion courses on marketing out there and maybe more. Features and benefits are key and your marketing will have purpose especially if you can create a solution to a problem.

If people are hiring you because you're a household name then there are a different level of promotions, open to you, including publicists and a real promotion machine, behind you.

Other concepts have been/are covered here many times over. I believe that I speak for the majority when I invite you to use the search engine. There must be several hundred hours of previous postings on this subject which are all available to you. Have fun.

Note: All caps usually denotes that you're yelling or angry.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22891 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Your very 1st comment is not true. Every magician I have ever met, refuses to discuss the business side of magic. They either do not know whay they or how they get the work they do or they feel that every show someone else gets is a show they were robbed of by you.

That is the main fault with magicians, they are totally competive. It is the only "art" that brings jealousy to the forefront like no other other. Musicians can get together and "jam", singers can sing together. But magicians, just get, Hay, you are doing the tricks I do! And if your presentation, patter, routine is thought to be better then theirs.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not to nit pick, but if you don't think singers are in constant competition come to Branson for 5 minutes. Yea they can "jam" but when it comes to business and who is in what show it is WORSE than magicians!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22891 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sure there are exceptions to everything, I was thinking along the lines of groups and couple that sing together. Some have had log careers. Magicians not so much. I am not counting Sigfreid and Roy as they are partners as in a couple, it is more then the magic that keeps them together. Can't count Penn and Teller either as they are not really both magicians. One is pitchman and the other a magician.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As for the list, except for number 5 which is a great point, the rest are self explanitory. Except number one. Magicians are NOTORIOUS for being very bad at business.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Well, I know there are plenty of magicians who DO care
about business. I email them regularly.

Here's a note on the topic I sent just the other day,
which sums up a great point about this business. It's
from a great book on magic I read on my flight to
Sydney a couple of weeks ago.

"The Magician and the Cardsharp" tells the tale
of Dai Vernon's search for a mysterious small
time card shark who somehow managed to master
the elusive "center deal" - and this quest
required years of persistence.

Here's a quote from magician Faucett Ross, who
gave Vernon's friend Charlie Miller this sage
advice on the biz:

"If you treat magic as a definite selling
game, such as insurance, you can get by and
make a fair living," he wrote to Miller,
"but if you string along like most magicians,
just waiting for something to turn up, you're
always going to be in the hole... Depend on
it, I'm giving you the straight steer."

(Love that phrase, "the straight steer.")

The way I look at it, there's way more gigs
out there than I could ever possibly manage
or even want to do. Why not help other
magicians have fun and make money?

--J
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 5 Great Tips but how would you make them better? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL