We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Publicity stunts! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I never met Kub. it is also Amazing how these Arguments start with the poster having a very low number of posts.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes this is a friendly group, so stop it or I will beat the S*** out of you.
The Great Kondini !
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
I would just like to ask one thing.

Why is it that certain people on this site just HAVE to slag (cockney phrase)other people off. As Kondini said earlier "A Pro will NEVER knock another Pro", but some people on this site just feel they must. In my experience this is only done when people feel insecure about themselves.

P.S. Sorry Kondini for keep following you posts, people will think we are in cahoots
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I think Im falling in love!!
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
It is because the have read too many silly books on Houdini where they think there can be only "one" top guy, and you have to crush all the rest. Just stupid and silly.

I worked with Viano, I don't know how Don feels about this, but I feel if it wasn't for Steve Baker being out there and SEEN; we wouldn't have had as many bookings because people WANTED what they saw.

Now, would Don have rathered it was HE on Dick Clark instead of Steve? Well of course. I'd rather I was with one of the lovely ladies I met at the escape artist convention then where I am at now...

...such is life.

How do we define "best"? To me its the paycheck, but that is not everyones measure.

Bottom line, and having spent three weeks in Florida it was hammered home, better to be a "band of brothers" then a "den of theives".

You know how much I love you all, if someone else is looking for a fight, join the army.....
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Good.

I'm worried as I was approached by a stuntman who has been on this site and is planning a T.V. expose and wanted me to perform Houdini's escapes and then he was going to expose the secret's. Obviously I declined, but I am worried about the amount of things exposing our methods that are posted.

Weasel
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
>"You know what? Houdini couldn't hold a candle to Steve Baker. Why? Houdini did most of his stuff behind a curtained cabinet. Baker did all his stuff out in the open."

Not to ruffle anyone's feathers, and with respect to Steve Baker, but this is a rather loaded statement, which takes unfair advantage of the fact that Houdini is long dead.

If he were alive today and able to act on current trends, he would no doubt put us ALL to shame.
Houdini also did a great many full-view escapes (just as Steve Baker did a few involving a screen, such as the Water Torture Cell, and the coffin box escape with the truck and dynamite, the box being screened by a close-fitting cover).
Armed with knowledge of what was current and what others were doing, Houdini would strive to do nothing less than top everyone else in the biz. With his knowledge, skill, experience and obsessive determination, I have no doubt he would meet the challenge in royal style.
Houdini was the supreme egocentric, and he and I wouldn't get along at all, but I would definitely not be one to underestimate him were he still with us.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm ok with Steve Baker the only thing I don't like/want is evreyone at each others Throats. as for being on Dick Clark I may not mind it. but I wouldn't actully want to get paid for it. why because I don't want to be a professional I enjoy doing this for Fun. I do have a New Script that I'm working/trying to memorize but if I were to be on a Live Show I'll have to be sure I worked on evreything and had reliable Back up. even when I first met X-Treme we both watched a video I just done that day I'm glad I had 2 tapes with me because the 2nd one worked better then the 1st I was/am still new at this I'll be the first to admit the video needs work we also just did the first taping. I figure this way on viewing it one can see where the act needs work. I'll never be a Houdini or close to him. but I'm just going to enjoy Escapology. Don,
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with Steve Baker too. His contributions are an important chapter in escape history. His escape from the manacles and coffin box with the truck charging into it is one of my all-time favorite escape performances.
At the same time, though, the comments made by Carnegie were unfair to a man who is dead and unable to either reply or take action in reponse (Houdini).
As Carnegie himself noted, comparasins are interesting but pointless.
Ultimately, I am with Donster that the cut-throat behavior between 'rivals' is counter-productive to both the art and to the persons involved.
Steve
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Midnight,

Maybe I didn't make my point clear or you misunderstood, or both. Comparing Houdini and Baker and Baker and Gallup or whomever is pointless. Houdini's record stands for itself, I said that before. Steve's record stands for itself. It there had been no Houdini, its very likely there would be NO escape artists today, period. In the same vein, Steve Baker kept escapes alive during his time. My point wasn't to put down Houdini. If you want to read a put down of Houdini, read William Raushers Book on the Houdini Code.
I was trying to defend a friend who I felt was being put down unfairly, that's all.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Carn Evreyone has set a Record or done a First etc. Houdini was well Known. but there were other people doing Escapes as well. there was a old picture of a lady Escape Artist/Escapologist on the net standing next to a Milk Can Escape that she did. the main thing is I can't find that picture now. but does anyone here know who I'm talking about etc. Don,
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Don, the Magical Pastimes website has been down for a while now, if you click on any link to it the All Magic Guide will come up. Magical Pastimes was the site you are thinking of.

Michael Claxton is the guy who owned the picture on that site, I will look for him email address when I can but I don't believe I have it anymore. There are others out there who own the picture as well.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Houdini (Master Showman) Became the product of his own imagination.Anyone who can self promote to this extent will self succeed, providing you can deliver the goods at the end of the day then promotion / publicity is the name of the game.Please remember we are in the world as entertainers, no escapologist Houdini included is superhuman. Looking at the above posts Mr Baker has achieved his aim,and I bet he is looking on laughing his socks off,well done Mr Baker not only did he believe in himself but all around him believed as well,such is the power of self promotion.
As for myself, I feel very lucky to have made my living from all this, we all measure success in our own way.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Shawn any idea as when that Picture was taken. one person told me it looked like it was the 1890's. I've also seen/heard/read other things about Houdini and others and I'll like to be able to seperate Fact from fiction. Don,

I Found the NEW Site for Magical Pastimes http://www.illusionata.com/mpt/ I guess from what I hear someone else is in charge now.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
The new site has Claxton's email you can ask him your questions. I know he was woking on a new Genii article that was about Female EA's past and present. That was a long time ago though.

mclaxto1@harding.edu
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
If you think it was about the "escapes" you miss the entire concept.

If it was about the "escapes" someone would have replaced him.

It was about who he was, and the culture of the times....

NO ONE will ever replace, succeed, or be better than Houdini.

The conditions are just not the same, and never will be again.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Quite right, Mark.
Houdini was not a "man performing escapes," he was a "man who was able to escape."
The focus was on Houdini.
Whether doing escapes, mentalism, sleight-of-hand, illusions, or whatever, the focus should always be on the performer.
European magic posters usually had this type of focus, often showing the performer and implying something mysterious, rather than focusing on a specific feat or illusion.

Steve
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
I personally think the most important thing to remember, and what many forget, is that it is now a very different time than when Houdini came on the scene.

For this strong reason, it is a fact that even the Great Houdini would fall flat on his face were he to present his act today. Certainly he was a trail blazer and a genius in his time but that was then not now.

In his time it worked, today it would fail.

There is something here to consider for any who are beginning is escapes. Namely, to copy the way Harry did things is to ensure failure and a lack of bookings.

I think that many of todays escape performers would do best to distance themselves as far as they can from the name of Harry Houdini. If you want to be known as an individual, then you have to have a unique approach. Living in Harry's shadow brings nothing but lame comparison.

Such comparison may indeed be the hardest thing to escape of all.

Cheers, Steve Santini
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Hey Dr. Steven,

I am really surprised, with your icon the way it is, that you are taking such a hard line on Houdini not being able to participate in this discussion. Halloween is not far off. When you say you wouldn't get along with him at all, is that based on a few sharp words scratched out on a slate last time you made contact?

Yours,

Paul
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

"For this strong reason, it is a fact that even the Great Houdini would fall flat on his face were he to present his act today. Certainly he was a trail blazer and a genius in his time but that was then not now."

Problematical assumption, since I am convinced Houdini would not remain 'static' were he here now. Even in the Roaring 20s, he updated his act to suit the faster-moving society. Houdini had a very active mind, a strong drive to succeed and an unerring eye for publicity. I feel he would have found ways to 'make people notice' in our age.

In any case, I guess we'll never know.

Dr. Wilson: Despite your apparent faith in my necromantic talents, I have had no more fortune contacting Harry than the late Arthur Ford or anyone else.
As for why we wouldn't get along: Harry was an absolute egocentric. I have little patience with egocentrics. 'Nuff said.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Publicity stunts! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL