The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Publicity stunts! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Looks like being buried alive is the finest example of a publicity stunt I have found. It looks very dangerous. Any help or info on this would be appreciated.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Scott,

If you're going under for a while (15 mins plus), then this may help. Please do your own research, though ...

You either need a two-way pumped air line (one line pumped, the other is the exhaust to relieve the pressure), or a cylinder of some sort which is concealed in the crate/coffin.

A cylinder is more reliable, as it is under your control, but does make the equipment un-examinable, and is only effective for an hour or so. The air line is good, but then you have to trust someone to connect it properly once you're in. Once connected, you're ok indefinitely (until you die of thirst!)

Don't go for an airhole & pipe; the maximum length is about 8-10 inches if the bore is up to 3/4", and that's if you're breathing directly from it. Any deeper and you end up re-breathing the air you've breathed out. A large bore airhole (6 inches or so) would probably be ok, but then it's pretty obvious to people watching.

One final thing on the pumped airline...make sure the air source is clean (get an electric pump if you can!!) Diesel/petrol fumes in an enclosed space can be a killer...

The other thing is signalling. You should have a way of sending a signal every 30 seconds to someone on the surface. If you miss two signals, they need to get you out pronto. If something goes wrong, you've potentially only got a couple minutes from when you pass out from lack of O2 to death...

With this in mind, go for it! Smile

Good luck...

James
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
You could try for Chris Angel's underwater record of 24 hours.

If you get a chance there is a bit of info in David Blane's book that was published last year.

The trouble these days is people need to see that you are still in there.

You could try for a combined underwater/underground escape a la DB but it depends on what you want.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The masked magician did this one on one of the specials. A much different idea than the real stunt.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
rondasue
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of rondasue
Who is Chris Angel?

Never Mind.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Chris Angel is a magician/performer who has stayed under water for 24 hours in full view. Not an escape as more of a protracted bath.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
There is a book about doing these types of stunts:

Publicity Stunts: How to get your name in the newspaper by Jon Jensen

Nothing earthshaking in it, but a very good common sense guide that describes the paperwork and preparation in perfoming publicity stunts, developing a press kit/press release that won't get thrown away and other important items that get overlooked along the way.

It also goes over the straightjacket, blindfold drive and other stunts.

Included is a sample waiver/release of liability form, Q&A, and hints.

I gave $4 for my copy, but it probably goes for $20 or $25.

Mike
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
When you say "buried alive," do you mean:

1. Buried alive escape? VERY DANGEROUS! Smile Norman Bigelow has come up with the only remotely safe method for this that I know of.

2. Buried alive for an hour+ on the air supply in the coffin?

3. Buried alive with a clear-cut air line, just to show how many days you can lie on your back? IMHO, not a very intriguing idea to begin with; radio DJ promo schtick. Smile

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

While the idea of the PS Goes back well into the early 1900 , To stand on a pole Today or the 'Live" in a Glass box ...Must have a Reason, Which is one of the reasons that Blaine's Glass box gag.... Flopped!!

Some Months back the American EA Robert Gallop Did I an I am told a Most sensational Glass box Escape, Over 100 feet up , He had a time limit to get out BEFORE the Box would collapse & fall to pieces...Hith him in or "Falling' out of it...

Yes Robert did make it!! NOW THIS is a reason to do a PStunt!!

Michael Lee
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Publicity stunts are for personal gain or show promotion. Any stunt large or small is dependant on Showmanship, this can only be learnt through doing rather than saying. Don`t forget if a murder takes place on your showday,then you will take second place in the press !
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi

If anyone is interested I have a copy of 'Publicity Stunts: How to get your name in the newspaper by Jon Jensen'for sale.

Having a bit of a clear out Smile

Cheers

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
A pro will NEVER knock another pro, reputations are worked for all the ******** in the world will never replace experience. I respect everyone in this, my full time job as escapologist, I have felt the pain, the failures and the success that this job can offer. So go forth and do rather than say.
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Hear, Hear.

I couldn't have said it better!
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Steve Baker was not the only escape artist around in the 60's 70's and 80's, but he was the busiest and most popular and most famous. Steve knew how to gain publicity and he used it to promote himself. The same way that any celebrity promotes themselves. That's all part of the process and Steve was a master.

I didn't watch Steve Bakers Race for Life sitting in a bar, but I did watch it with a group of laypeople who were terrified and thought it was the most incredible escape stunt they had ever seen. I also showed it to some magician friends who agreed it was the only time a televised escape ever made them scared that the performer would die. Most of the stuff you see on TV comes across flat. Robert Gallup's escape from a Steel Cage dropping from a plane was awesome but on TV it just played flat. That isn't to take anything away from him. It's just how audiences typically perceive these kinds of things. For the record I think Gallup is a very fine performer.

Kubdini makes the argument that if Steve tried to come back now with the stunts he did, he'd never make it, he couldn't hold a candle to the younger guys. You know what? Houdini couldn't hold a candle to Steve Baker. Why? Houdini did most of his stuff behind a curtained cabinet. Baker did all his stuff out in the open. A lot of what is presented today by escape artists is less escape and more illusion. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that either. But the argument that todays escape artists are superior to Steve Baker because his stuff wasn't good is silly. Houdini's career speaks for itself. Steve Baker's career speaks for itself. Comparisons are interesting but are of little value. I wonder though, if Steve's stunts are so bad, why his coffin of death was ripped off on one of the Dangerous Magic Specials? Somebody obviously thought it was good enough to use.

You ask, why was he allowed to call himself "the world's greatest"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any board or council that you have to apply to for permission to use the title. And you search through the history of escape artist promotional materials you will find that most call themselves 'the worlds greatest.' In Steve's case it just happens to be true.

"The greatest today would squash him like a bug. Solomon, Griffin, Gallop are just a few names that come to mind who are, today, much better then he could ever have dreamt to be back then." Really? Well, maybe you should ask those guys who their inspiration was to do escapes? Read the Genii Magazine article on Thomas Solomon and you will find see he lists Steve among his inspirations.

You know, I couldn't decide if I should even write anything about this post. Afterall it wasn't' directed at me. The best thing that came out of themagiccafe posts for me was getting a chance to talk to Steve Baker and actually count him among my friends. He is a decent guy who I have the utmost respect for. He had an amazing career and for the past few years has had some setbacks but he is still alive and well. I chose to write because as his friend, I don't appreciate people spewing forth obvious hate towards a guy who frankly kept escape artistry alive during the past 30 years.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Carn I'm glad you wrote what you did. I for one got sick/tired of the arguing and I'm impressed that this pot shot is being so well handled and evrey one keeping their Cool. Don,
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've just spent some time writting a come back to kub. Then I thought "B######S! I can't be bothered" and deleted it.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ros keep it up I'm proud of you I think Kub just wanted to get evreyone upset/arguing Again. Don,
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Quite right, Don.
We do not need posters trying to start "long-distance urination competitions" on these threads.
This is a friendly discussion site; not a billboard or a war zone.
If you cannot leave your ego at the door, stay home and admire yourself in the mirror.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
APPLAUDS !!!!!!
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I agree and am going to guess he is probabally a "hit and run poster" though I've met Kub once (don't know if Don knows him) it is a lot of hype.

For me (and others I talked to at Houdini Days) many of us each had just one escape artist in our region, as Mark Cannon said, they had Steve out West, we had Shirk in this area and the East had Norm.

I didn't know about Steve until an old defunct internet board. Norm I knew of but nothing about his escapes.

I believe the internet has helped us to learn about others who have had a life time in the art (including Mr. Mollett) but at the same time it allows for us to learn about stupid people, hit and run people and multipul screen names for one person.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Publicity stunts! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL