We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kartis Bill Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
What do you do when people ask to see the deck and it's a Svengali? Because of that possibility, MANY will not use a Svengali. Yet, it can be a deadly piece of magic in a Professional Magician's arsenal.

We'll have to see reviews on the Kartis DVD to see if they go over handling that situation. They may not. But if the effect is uable, then it would be worth routining to solve that issue, as you would with other 'non examinable magic".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I love using the Svengali deck and I have easily routined it into my effects. I ca switch back and forth from a gaffed deck to a normal deck with no one really catching on. I would assume that you could switch the bill out the same as you would a gaffed deck for examination. I am curious as how you get into the routine. If you can walk up to someone and take the paper out of your wallet or pocket and do the effect this might be very nice to have. However, if you need to have the paper in your hands "set up" before introducing this to a spec then it would have too many limitations for me.

I'm truly looking forward to a good review on this one. It's too visual to walk away from!!!!

Mike Smile
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1721 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Personally, I would never use a Svengali deck in such a way that it encourages people to want to examine it. If you show all the cards the same at the end of the routine (or the middle) people will want to take a look at the deck. However, if you do a routine that makes it seem like a regular deck (or if you have switched in in for a regular deck that was shown earlier) then people will probably not want to look at it. It's all in the way a gimmicked item is handled and/or presented.

What would anyone here think if they saw a blank piece of paper instantly and visibly change right in front of them? I would think everyone would at the very least be looking mightily close at it. I also think everyone would want to be given the chance to hold such in incredible item.

I wonder if people are blinded by an effect and just want to know the secret.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you can run the change in reverse, it might be a killer way to use something like Kohler's new box item. They take out a bill, read off the serial number, give you the bill, you talk about people seeing what they wish to see and suddenly the bill is a blank slip of paper. You then find their bill in that box you put on the table earlier.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
I believe that this might be possible - turning a bill into a piece of paper.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'd like to be able to start with a $1 bill, shake it, and have it turn into a blank piece of paper with shower of 100 pennies falling out.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1099 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
How about rolling it into a cone and pouring out ten dimes(Roger Klause)!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Oops, too late to edit. I meant to add that the other hand could retrieve the pennies using a coin dropper such as that used in the Ireland 50-Cent Trick.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 08:51, Jon Allen wrote:

I would think everyone would at the very least be looking mightily close at it. I also think everyone would want to be given the chance to hold such in incredible item.

I wonder if people are blinded by an effect and just want to know the secret.

Jon: 100% agreed. There's no way this item is practical for walkaround. Promo tape? Yes! Parlor show? Maybe. Stage? Too small. Closeup/walkaround? No way.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Apart from the way he handled the bill, it's a good and visual effect. However, the way he handled it, it will put more heat on the bill itself.

We gotta ask defconskylude as he said he was getting it from Penguin.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
My experience with effects as visually stunning as this is after I work with the effect for a while (in the real world) I develop ways to work around all the “issues.”

I’m going out on a limb here, and guessing this effect will mature each day you perform it.

One of my favorite magicians is Eric Jones, and I heard him give a piece of advice on magic that really helped me. That advice was (and I’m paraphrasing here), “Get caught.”

Yeap, get caught. I’m not advocating going out and actually getting caught, rather I’m saying work the effect and learn from your mistakes. A good effect will mature like fine wine. You’ll get caught, and I guarantee you’ll learn from it. Practice, practice, practice…

Quick note on my quoting Eric Jones, I’m not 100% sure Eric was the magician I heard say that; however, I’m pretty sure. Eric, please forgive me if I’ve misquoted you here. I just want folks to think about the benefits of a letting a good effect mature.

Bottom line here, the visual bang for the buck (LOL) on this effect looks too darn good for me to ignore. I’ll work out the kinks of this effect, as this looks great!

Magically,
Roman
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 16:27, Larry Davidson wrote:
I'd like to be able to start with a $1 bill, shake it, and have it turn into a blank piece of paper with shower of 100 pennies falling out.

Now THAT is a sick idea!!!!!

Roman,

Yeah, I often say that a great way to get proficient at working for laymen is to get caught.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
bharris0225
View Profile
New user
Indiana
70 Posts

Profile of bharris0225
This looks pretty cool. I will wait for a review though.
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
Got the DVD. Just by looking at the gimmick, you cannot hand this out for inspection!

I'm watching the dvd now
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Defconskylude: Please let us know how long the gimmick will last, and if it's possible to create a new one fairly easily once it breaks down?

I've had issues with the longevity of single card / bill gimmicks.

thanks!
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
You can recreate the gimmick from scratch to make it work for euro, Canadian and other denominations like 1 to 100.

Not sure how long the gimmick will last. I mean the bill does eventually wear out depending on usage. I'd say a good 5-6 months if you're doing it occasionally.

Posted: Sep 28, 2010 5:42pm
Since I'm in the US, I will only go over the English version which was only 10 minutes long.

I'm going to rate it based on a 1-10 scale
1 = bad
10 = awesome

DVD quality: 7
No annoying music. There's only 3 chapters. Demo, Spanish version, English version

Effect: 8
No doubt it's visually stunning but I don't like all the folds.

Handling: 7
The actual change is easy to do but the handling towards the end is very suspicious.

Explanation: 7
Since English isn't their main language, there was enough instructions to get you through the handling. There's no patter at all so you have to be creative on how you plan to present this from beginning to end. Otherwise it's just a "hey let me show you a trick" and back it goes into my pocket.

Resets: 1
Not readily resettable for tables. It doesn't make sense to change it back to the blank paper because the handling is different going from $1 to a blank paper.

Hand out: 2
At the moment, you definitely cannot hand this out. Reason why I rated it a 2 is because I feel that there's a way to hand this out. I'd have to adjust 3 different components of the gimmick so I'm able to finger palm it and let the spectator freely grab the bill from my finger tips.

Reconstruction: 1
Gimmick only came in US currency. It's too bad for the non US magicians out there because there's NO instructions on how to create this from scratch! Euros, canadian, pesos are out of luck unless you can figure out how to to do some reverse engineering by taking the gimmick apart and figure out how to reassemble through trial and error. You can buy the materials at a local arts and craft store. Good luck on that one.

Angle sensitive: 3
Front view only. When you do the change, you have a good chance of flashing the gimmick depending on how you control your wrist. Back lighting is obviously an issue because you're using white paper, so it's best to keep it close to your chest.

Durability: 4
Based on all the folds, I would think this would last about 5-6 months on special occasions since it's probably just going to sit in your wallet majority of the time. If you're a worker, it might go 2-3 months because of the normal wear and tear of the bill and white paper. I use the penguin magic $5 to $1 transpo as a worker and it lasted me about 3-4 months until I had to create a new gimmick due to the holes and it wasn't crisp anymore. Originally it was going to be a 5 to be fair but I rated it a 4 is because there's no instructions on recreating the gimmick!

DVD Pricing: 5
I paid $22.50 off Penguin plus my 10% discount and 2 day shipping which came out to $27. It retails for $30. I'm a fan of money transposition, so it's a price I'm willing to pay for. Pricing is fair even if you're not a fan of bill/money transpos.

Overall: 6
Like I said before, I love bill transpositions and I get excited when a new bill effect comes out. This will definitely be in my wallet. I need some time to figure out if my theory is possible to hand this out. This would solve two things. I don't have to worry about the awkward handling towards the end because I can easily hand it out and I'm able to create multiple gimmicks with different denominations like $1 to $20. I have another bill transposition "Return of the Big Flap by Titanas and Chris Webb" which has a similar transposition. At least with the Big Flap, it has a good method to ditch the gimmick which can be implemented on the Kartis gimmick.

If these solutions pan out, then I'd bump the overall score up to an 8.

Posted: Sep 28, 2010 7:30pm
Ok I now how to reassemble this from scratch.

This is good news for euro and Canadian bills, as well as using different denominations

So in order for this to be handed out, you'd have to literally BREAK the gimmick OFF. So it would be a one time use until you rebuild the gimmick or you'd have to make multiple gimmicks if you're a table hopper.

Also I noticed the outline of the gimmick can sometimes be seen on the blank paper side. If your blank paper is a bit dirty or worn out, then the outline would be more noticeable depending on how you cover it. If I were to use a $1 to $20, then the gimmick would be more hidden.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-27 18:12, Eric Jones wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 16:27, Larry Davidson wrote:

Now THAT is a sick idea!!!!!

Thanks, Eric! Check your PM.
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Good review defconskylude,
This helps clarify some things, for me a big concern was reset ability. I'm waiting on my order, and I'll see if I can add to your "reassemble this from scratch" thoughts. Thanks again for the review, does anyone else have a review yet?
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I agree the change looks nice but this sounds like an effect that has been released without covering the important bases. Firstly, it can't be handed out. This IMO is a problem for money from nothing effects. Most people will want to handle the money, that's just human nature. Secondly, you don't end clean. Then you're not told how to make your own. And angle issues too.

But the most annoying thing about this though is it's only in US$! Releasing a money trick that you can't do with your own currency is plain stupid. Especially as bill productions / changes look so much better with other currency other than a boring, dull green all over dollar.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 16:00, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I think that the change is very visual...however, the "after" I think looks like crap! Very unnatural hand movements, and its quite obvious that something is being concealed.

I'm not so concerned about the "not being able to hand it out" part as I do Extreme Burn and never pass out the bills to be examined before or after and everything flys smooth.

This just looks very unnatural to my eyes...AFTER the change.

I also do extreme burn and have found the effect and the reaction to be much greater if you hand out the bills after the change. I have found that it's always a little more astonishing to the spectator when you can hand out the item for examination.

RNK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kartis Bill Change (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL