The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Woman Executed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Can someone explain to me why we (yes, WE. We ARE the Government) Executed a Woman who did not kill anyone, yet we gave Life to the two guys who actualy did the dirty deed. I just don't get it.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
She masterminded the operation to kill two people and hired the two people to do it. She was the proximate cause, much like Charles Manson masterminded everything, but didn't kill anyone...perhaps a bad example because he's not on death row - but that's California, which is a different place altogether.

With that, I'm going to leave the thread now because these Capital Punishment discussions never go amiably.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Oh boy.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Could somebody post a link for those that are less up-to-date with current events...like myself? TIA.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
I'm assuming the VA woman is the person being discussed...
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
No one can explain it to you. The death penalty is barbaric.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 12:02, AsL wrote:
Could somebody post a link for those that are less up-to-date with current events...like myself? TIA.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/23/wom......testnews

It's probably worth reading the story to get the background / details. It's a little complicated. Also, one of the killers committed suicide in 2006.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 12:08, kcg5 wrote:

Ditto

Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
At an earlier behind closed doors trial,judge Teresa Lewis,meted out the death penalty to two innocent people.
Apparently she wholeheartedly agreed with the death penalty.Even when no crime was committed.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:

Quote:
On 2010-09-24 12:33, gdw wrote:

Ditto

You guys wouldn't last long out here in Texas. We've fried people for less...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 13:06, Ray Tupper. wrote:
At an earlier behind closed doors trial,judge Teresa Lewis,meted out the death penalty to two innocent people.
Apparently she wholeheartedly agreed with the death penalty.Even when no crime was committed.

Yeah, so that makes it ok to do it to her? Do we really base our morality on what others do and think?

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 10:44, irossall wrote:
Can someone explain to me why we (yes, WE. We ARE the Government) Executed a Woman who did not kill anyone, yet we gave Life to the two guys who actualy did the dirty deed. I just don't get it.
Iven Smile

You probably already know this, but for others who may not see the same discrepancy:

(From the FOXNews link I posted)

"The Lewis execution stirred an unusual amount of attention because of her gender, claims she lacked the intelligence to mastermind the killings and the post-conviction emergence of defense evidence that one of the triggermen manipulated her."

Another links notes:

"Her supporters never said Lewis was innocent or that she shouldn't be punished. But they said she did not deserve to die because she was borderline mentally retarded, with the intellectual ability of about a 13-year-old, and was manipulated by a smarter conspirator. It was wrong for her to be sentenced to death, they said, when the two men who fired the shots received life terms."

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/teresa-l......-stepson

If it is as these stories say, then perhaps she lacked a good enough lawyer.

And I wonder what the actual post-conviction defense evidence was?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think it is important to get the message out to women, inparticularly my wife, that it is WRONG to have your husband killed, just plain wrong.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:

Yea gotta say I am not a fan either. Too much "ick" on it for me.

Texas has trie to speed the process along as much as possible of late.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
She had it coming. Her peers decided she was wicked enough to have her life snuffed like she had her family members. You don't want to be executed, don't have your family killed.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What about strangers?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 01:42, Brian Proctor wrote:
She had it coming. Her peers decided she was wicked enough to have her life snuffed like she had her family members. You don't want to be executed, don't have your family killed.

Exactly.

To Santa that goes for strangers too. If one doesn't want to pay the price they have to face once they have committed such crime they shouldn't do it. It doesn't matter what the person's mental status of the person that commits the crime at the time it takes place either.

But I know you don't agree with death sentences but that's o.k. that's not a strike against you. It's your opinion which you are very entitled too.

I'm glad they did it to her. Thankfully the Gov wasn't a wimpy one.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'd like to know how borderline she is.
The fact is that the courts have upheld the execution of mentally retarded individuals as unconstitutional under the 8th amendment.
Their inability to comprehend the nature and purpose of their punishment undermines the retributive aspects as well.
The most widely accepted IQ score used for mental retardation diagnosis is the DSM standard of 70. The problem is that IQ tests aren't all that accurate.
So if she's really borderline then that's getting into pretty sensitive territory, constitutionally speaking.
That all varies by state, as with pretty much all legal discussion, but these are the most common definitions.
On a personal level, I am against the death penalty as well. My main reason isn't that I don't think killers should be punished though, it's that there is a historical precedent of executed individuals later being found innocent of the crime for which they were killed. That means that the state has murdered innocent people. It's a fact. I feel that if we execute one innocent person then that's one too many.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Anyone who wants to review that 8th amendment business can research "Atkins v Virginia."
We had to study a looooooooooot of these cases in my forensic psych classes.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
What I don't understand is why you would want to be a witness, I am sure that the family are upset, but why would you want to watch her being put to death (shudder)?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Woman Executed (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL