The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Criss Angel Magic Kit/Tricks In Walgreens (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Normally these things don't bother me...but among the individually packaged Angel-branded tricks is the Pen Thru Dollar, and upon seeing it I was so disappointed. I've seen the "Magic Dollar Printer" and other Adams-type effects in stores, but never something like this. Am I overreacting?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
"Then, they came for me..."
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 23:44, mandarin wrote:
"Then, they came for me..."

:nod:
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
They have come for all of us all these years...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Pen thru dollar??... oh.. ***
I also like that effect..
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6926 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 15:58, stempleton wrote:
Normally these things don't bother me...but among the individually packaged Angel-branded tricks is the Pen Thru Dollar, and upon seeing it I was so disappointed. I've seen the "Magic Dollar Printer" and other Adams-type effects in stores, but never something like this. Am I overreacting?

I hear ya, Stempleton. I guess the question is this:

Is the layman who is not interested in learning magic going to buy this, just to learn its secret? I doubt it. However, is a youngster who wants to be a magician, likely to learn this (and this series of effects), perform it, and possibly become the next Copperfield or Lance Burton? Possible. Who knows?

My first tricks were the Adams Penny Block, Coin In Nest Of Boxes, Multiplying Billiard Balls, and Ball Vase. I got good at them, and it started a life-long love of Magic! They were effective, and they worked! My parents were blown away by those very tricks! They are also classics.

The Criss Angel-branded tricks (including the Pen Thru Dollar), are just today's version of the same thing. At first, I was shocked to see these being released at Wal-Mart/Walgreen's. But then I remembered buying the Adams tricks at a local corner store when I was 15. I imagine magicians back then would have been pretty perturbed about it, I don't know. I do understand your point though. I'm also really glad I was able to buy the Adams effects back then.

Doug
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
You are very correct, Doug. I bought the multiplying rabbits, smoke from fingertips, etc. from Adams at a local drug store. A local hobby store was also selling Tenyo products (!) on the counter, including Silk Serenade, a card box, What's Next, etc. All those fanned my flame. Thanks for making me feel old Smile

Being curious, I purchased the pen thru dollar. It is very cheaply made, comes only with the one pen, the cap does not fit both ends of the pen, it is not very "strong" in the gimmick, and even has an Angel "A" trademark in silver on the top of the cap... yeah, that's very ordinary looking! Also it looks like a very short pen when showing without the cap.

I guess my shock was seeing a new product being offered to the general public. But yes, I'm glad I ran in to those things years ago.
tony660
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of tony660
The many dollar stores are now suppling not only gags but actual tricks for a dollar now.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6926 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 22:08, stempleton wrote:
Thanks for making me feel old Smile

Being curious, I purchased the pen thru dollar. It is very cheaply made, comes only with the one pen, the cap does not fit both ends of the pen, it is not very "strong" in the gimmick, and even has an Angel "A" trademark in silver on the top of the cap... yeah, that's very ordinary looking! Also it looks like a very short pen when showing without the cap.

Old? I think I got ya by a few years, there young fella! Ha! And thanks for reviewing that pen. That IS disappointing. No excuse for shoddy stuff sold for magic use! I never had a problem with Adams' stuff, even though it was low-cost. If it doesn't fool anyone, what's the use? Very disappointing...
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I too was sad to see this item mass marketed. Magic is available enough to the interested young ones these days without putting it on the shelves at Walgreens and Wal-Mart.

But the prop is shoddy, so it won't be usable and the trick may not be overexposed through performance, anyway.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Shoddy? That represents probally at least 50% of the stuff getting on the market today.

What Criss Angel needs to do is stop acting like the Masked Magician, and start selling how he uses stooges and camera editing, considering it's the only thing he thought of. That way, none of us would have a problem with him selling tricks that are out of his league. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6926 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 02:04, Gospel Dan wrote:
Shoddy? That represents probably at least 50% of the stuff getting on the market today.

That is a shame, too. John Cornelius made the Pen Through Anything I originally bought. It was class "A" quality. I then bought a Papermate Pen knockoff later, that was, again, very good quality. Now we see this...

I'm afraid, the Internet has also made it very difficult to purchase Magic sight unseen. You "buy the secret", is what Magic Shops have always told me, so a refund is out of the question. So, what to do? Really the only thing I can think of is read the reviews, here in the Café. I know now, not to buy stuff that has Criss Angel's name on it, or stuff at drugstores/Megastores. You might want to take the kit back to Walgreen's for a refund. Just a thought.

I also know, it is best to buy stuff from known names such as Chazpro, Steven's Magic Emporium, Johnson Magic Products (who have a guarantee, by the way), and even Ellusionist and Penguin! There are more, and I appreciate all the members who have posted their reviews here. This is a valuable resource. Shoddy magic products? No excuse. We will shine the light on them!

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Im honestly more upset that the props are crappy then that they are being sold.

I'd be afraid they would discourage some kid after he got busted using a bad prop Smile

The Adams stuff was plastic, but always reasonably made and did what it was supposed to.

If Angel is going to cash in on his fame I wish he'd do it with more class.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Just saw all this stuff at Walgreens,the pen through is a poorly made piece of crap.

I have absolutely no respect for Crissy Angel.

He's a money grubbing !@#$% who doesn't do magic anymore,he's a joke!
His "magic" is about as good as the special effects from Bewitched.

Mike
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
My first magic trick came from a drug store ( Svengali deck ). Most likely, it never came close to the quality of what's in the Criss angel set.
~Joe
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3212 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Bed Bath and Beyond store carries box of Chris Angle Magic set $29.99
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I've been watching the endcap at the local Walgreen's. Nobody seems to be buying the kits.

-Philip
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 23:40, Michael Peterson wrote:

Mike

Ummm...wait. "Special effects" in Bewitched?
*sigh*
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 22:55, stempleton wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 23:40, Michael Peterson wrote:

Mike

I'm sorry, I will say nothing of I dream of Jeanie.

Mike

Ummm...wait. "Special effects" in Bewitched?
*sigh*
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
I have absolutely no respect for Crissy Angel.
Mike

Crissy angel as you like to call him has done an awful lot pro and con for magic during his career. To not respect the 5 time winner of the magic castles "magician of the year" award just sounds to me like jealousy. I've met Criss while he had his show on Broadway in NYC and at the time, he was one of the nicest guys in magic I had ever met. We even got free tickets to the show because we are magicians. However since his A&E thing, he does seem to have let it go to his head a bit. But might not fame do that to anyone? I don't know as it has never been my wish to give up my private life for fame. (although I could have) but to knock a guy just cause he made it, seems to me a bit petty. This whole post reminds me of a saying I once heard "never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes."
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Criss Angel Magic Kit/Tricks In Walgreens (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL