The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do with thread, and wax? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Being new to magic I went out and bought some stuff that I thought would be useful, including a TT, some thread, some wax and other bits and pieces.

Now I'm kind of wondering what to use these things for! I know some uses for the thread and have some ideas of my own, but I have this 'huge' tub of wax and don't really know what to do with it!

Any suggestions or website recommendations?
Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Not knowing what kind of thread you have it is difficult to comment. There are lots of great videos on the use of IT and I would refer you to them.

Many magicians use wax in conjunction with thread effects. I will leave the why to be explained in books and tapes on threadwork. It will become self-evident at that time.

Some other tricks that use wax just off the top of my head would include card on wall (or ceiling) card stab with deck in paper bag. After that I have exhausted my entire knowledge of wax effects.

To tell you the honest truth, I have been doing magic for thirty years and have never purchased magicians wax, so I will leave this part of your question to others. Thread on the other hand can create sheer miracles. No pun intended.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
DavidSak
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of DavidSak
I was wondering what is magician's wax made of? Is it toxic? Anyone know?
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Go download MELT from expertmagic.com, it's 15$ but totally worth it.
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
If you are interested in thread magic buy the Ammar collection "easy to master thread miracles." It's more expensive that MELT but in the long run it will be better you will learn a lot of stuff and you will be able to pick just what you like. Plus you will save a lot of money. Ammar teaches you where to find thread and wax by yourself.
pasteboardforbrains
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
113 Posts

Profile of pasteboardforbrains
I also have never used wax, but I do use my IT. I like useing a loop of tape to do card on the wall.
Smile
Parker Caldwell

sigh... nothing to quote
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Most magicians' wax is non-toxic. There are dozens of tricks you can use it with, including some where you make cards or other light objects adhere to things.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
You will find different grades of wax too.

Some are rather hard and others are somewhat sticky to handle. You can mix two kinds to get the required consistency for the tackiness you need. Work them together until they get plyable and well mixed. Your hand heat should be enough.

Sometimes you want to stick two objects together so they will stay without being messy and sometimes you want it tacky so it grips easily and quickly.

i.e. A few (pre-conditioned) coins can be placed in the hand and squeezed together so they can be vanished silently.

As far as thread goes, light is your enemy.

Try to remember that they are looking from a different point of view. What is invisible to you from your perspective, might be highly visible from their position.

I believe if it is back-lit with a bright light behind, then it will be easier to see it's outline.

Choose your arena carefully. Being caught is hard on the ego.
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some of the things that are being said here should not be on an open forum. This should be discussed in the banquet room.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do with thread, and wax? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL