The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bearded dragon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic_Man101
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Magic_Man101
I was wondering if it was possible to use a bearded dragon in my show and has anyone ever used one
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Ive never used Lizards in a show but I've raised a number of Iguanas as pets.

Lizards take some serious socializing to be comfortable with handling, let alone with a crowd of people.

I suspect you COULD raise a Bearded Dragon to put up with or even enjoy (in his lizard way) being part of the act but I would recommend you get a baby, as close to a hatchling as possible, and start getting him or her used to handling as early as possible. Consistency and repetition are key here.

When BDs are young, they tend to be very "jumpy". This is instinct, small lizards are a snack to virtually every other creature in the wild. Don't expect him to sit still until he matures some. As soon as possible I would also start getting him used to whatever apparatus you are going to use him in. If its a doive pan, for instance, let him play in it and put some kind of treat food in it.

As he gets bigger I would get him a leash (kitten harnesses work well on medium sized iguanas) and start taking him with you to go places and visit people. Get him used to traveling and comfortable with strange surroundings and strange people.

Lizards are sweet but not very smart. Most of what they do is instinct and habit. Your job is going to be to habitualize him to situations like he will be in when he performs.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If your idea is to freak everyone out, then maybe this would be a way to go. I doubt that you will ever get a repeat booking. This is not the land of lizards, so people do not think they are something to have around strangers.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I beleive Brian Lehr a member here on the Café used to use one. I would send him a pm and ask about his experiences. Also if you search for the term bearded dragon you will get a lot of topics that include them.

I was going to use them myself but ended up going the rabbit and bird route.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Bill has a decent point that reactions to lizards vary. Having taken mine around on a leash let me tell you they vary from "way cool!" to downright fright.

Bunnies and birds are probably safer.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I've used Beardies for years and they are easy to use. Their temperament is much different than most iguanas hence their popularity among beginning reptile owners. Some valid points were made about how it may creep some people out. However your performing persona will dictate how you are received. If you are performing as a safari character it will work well, as a traditional magician..who knows. One distinct advantage at the present time is that they are not regulated by the USDA. All mammals used while performing are supposed to have an exhibitors permit, and regulations are currently being developed and written for birds. So soon birds and their use in performance will be regulated as well.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Call it a "dragon" and the kids will love it. The adults will love that the kids love it...even if they are a little afraid of it.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
I have used ,and still use bearded dragons all the time.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Using a Mirror Box or Square Circle will make the bearded dragon easy to produce.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bearded dragon? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL