The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » File Sharers at it again (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Hello All:

I've discovered today that ALL of my published work, ebook and hardcover, has been uploaded to a file sharing site by some misfit who lurks here on The Magic Café.

While checking the site (and another site) I found literally Hundreds of uploaded copyrighted ebooks and videos of other creators in mentalism and magic.

I'm doing what I can to have my materials removed and the sites taken down, but I'd urge other concnerned creators and individuals to contact me directly at: tom@thoughtcontrol.ca to learn the names of these sites and for more information as it comes available. I don't want to give these sites or individuals more publicity, as it seems that there are those here who do business with such sites.

Note that I WILL name names publicly if these individuals who do the uploading (or downloading!) are discovered.

Sad that there is such little respect for creators in our art, and such disregard for the law in general.

T. Baxter
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
PM'D You!

Paul.W
From Israel
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Please don't pm me. As I asked in my post, email me directly.

T. Baxter
LeViking
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LeViking
That sucks !

I am a teacher and I am repeating over and over again to my students (16-17 years old) not to download music, movies, e-books from torrent site as they are "stealing" from the creator, that is a long road dear friends.
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
It is appalling that this happens but the situation only seems to get worse. As someone who spends a great deal on products I am disgusted when I hear about this kind of thing. Good luck with getting the content taken down.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Information is beginning to trickle in.

Apart the the site I mentioned, I would like any information available on someone calling himself Guardician. Equally, information on anyone you know who frequents his file-sharing-for-magicians site would be useful

Another person of interest to me goes by the username of Tuonela on various sites. Anyone knowing who this person is, please contact me via email.

The identities of those who offer information will be kept confidential.

Many thanks,

T. Baxter
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Tom,

If you'd like the name of my DR X (who shoots these things down) just let me know. One needs to look at the policing of such matters on a long term basis. Often, as soon as the files are removed, they are then immediately uploaded. But, it CAN be controlled (to a great extent).

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
The server is in malaysia according to this site?
http://urldogg.com/guardician.com
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Thanks guys.

The more info the better.

T. Baxter
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Registration Service Provided By: Exa Bytes Network Sdn Bhd

Domain name: guardician.com

Administrative Contact:
Exa Bytes Network Sdn Bhd
Kee Siak Chan ()
+60.6308283
Fax: +60.6308288
1-18-8 Suntech Penang Cybercity
Lintang Mayang Pasir 3
Bayan Baru, PENANG 11900
MY

Technical Contact:
Kee Siak Chan ()
+60.6308283
Fax: +60.6308288
Lintang Mayang Pasir 3
Bayan Baru, PENANG 11900
MY

Registrant Contact:
Kee Siak Chan ()

Fax:
Lintang Mayang Pasir 3
Bayan Baru, PENANG 11900
MY

Name Servers:
ns101.mschosting.com
ns102.mschosting.com

Creation date: 19 Apr 2009 09:51:59
Expiration date: 19 Apr 2011 09:51:59
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
The good news Tom is that those that engage in this sort of thing are eventually infected by an evil curse.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I think that they must obviously be infected with a curse before they do these sorts of things. Very lame.

I just received a virus email from the fellow named Tuonela. My anti-virus caught it and sent it packing.

- T. Baxter
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
While there is no way to prevent theft, IMO the best protection is to publish only in traditional print format and NEVER in digital. While it is true that anything printed can be scanned and digitized, print media that consists of hundreds of pages poses a challenge that is apt to discourage anyone who does not have access to a high-speed automated system. It is nearly impossible to protect anything that is in digital form.
Dick Christian
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
The attitude towards copyright these days is apalling. A musician I know had a phonecall from a 'fan' a few years ago. First, he congratulated him with his new album, then he complained that he could not download the album for free on Napster.
I like how Scott Wells put it on Banachek's 'Radio Magic' CDs: "By copying these CDs you will be violating Steve Shaw's copyright and his right to earn a living"
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Tom's books are too good to be put into PDfs anyway. They should all be hard backs.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2010-10-03 05:39, mindpunisher wrote:
Tom's books are too good to be put into PDfs anyway. They should all be hard backs.

I heard you...
I also think the only way to keep things ¨kind of¨ secret would be to do it hard backs
then again.. it is awfull what happened to his book (books?)

I don't know him nor have I ever met him but sure he seems like an intelligent guy so I would guess his material is reallly really awesome
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-10-03 01:16, Dick Christian wrote:
While there is no way to prevent theft, IMO the best protection is to publish only in traditional print format and NEVER in digital. While it is true that anything printed can be scanned and digitized, print media that consists of hundreds of pages poses a challenge that is apt to discourage anyone who does not have access to a high-speed automated system. It is nearly impossible to protect anything that is in digital form.

There are so many scans of hardback books out there. It's hardly a deterrent.

Some of these guys don't care how long it takes to scan because they use it as currency to trade for other files. Some books aren't scanned. A digital camera is used to take a photo of the page.

I've seen Harry Lorayne's books out there, Alex Elmsley, Derek Dingle, Ortiz, Berglas, Koran, just about everything from Vernon, Banachek, Switch - the $100 bill switch book, Ammar's big book and so on.

But you're correct Dick, there is no way to prevent theft. And basically there is no way to stop them. All of these guys post under screen names and even if you could connect them to someone here on The Café, you know it's a screen name here as well. If they get banned, they just come back under another name.

Most creators don't have the financial resources to go after them legally and even if you did, are you going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to go after one person who has a few of your files, worth maybe a couple of hundred dollars? And even if you won, what are the chances of collecting?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
More information is surfacing, and I'm taking steps to correct things.

MANY thanks to all who offered their assistance.

T. Baxter
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
The main question is why would someone you know --assuming you gave it out to someone you know-- do it. Even someone who just purchased it wouldn't have a major incentive to do so, and you probably didn't send out a book to someone in Malaysia.

Possibly they are merely getting Trojans, or already have Trojan horse/back door viruses on various magicians/mentalist's computers and are merely retrieving data that way; as you yourself said, someone possibly connected with the guardian sent you a virus.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » File Sharers at it again (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL