The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin noise - hopping halves etc. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
Sorry if this is a bit basic, but any advice on how to avoid s***l coins giving themselves away by the distinctive sound?

I'm having trouble especially with hopping halves on this one. I know that at least 90% of the answer is 'practice' but I'd rather make sure that I'm practicing the right moves rather than the wrong ones!

Thanks in advance.
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Hi Nick, I had the same problem and found that I stopped using them, maybe someone will give the answer to us both, BTW have you got or used Eddie Gibsom coin unique it's a very good trick and there are several routines and they all blow the specs away if you want to know more please p.m. me

regards trevor Smile Smile Smile
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
186 Posts

Profile of preston91
I squeeze the coins to hold them together as I place them in the hand. also overlap them a bit so if they do talk the specs think it's the two coins touching.
works for me....

Paul
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I seem to be the only one noticing the sound of the coins, this is my favorite effect to carry around because it gets a great reaction & even when repeating the effect for those who have watched me do it before no one has ever questioned the authenticity of the coins.
davisjr
View Profile
New user
Colorado
64 Posts

Profile of davisjr
In addition to above techniques, I've found that well timed patter and interaction with your audience helps - when they're listening intently to you, they're paying less attention to other noises...
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Yes, I used to have this issue but with experimentation I have completely eliminated this issue. It is all in the fingers, you need to be able to keep the coins seperated and do not allow the shells to touch when they are being removed from the coins. It isn't easy to explain but it is possible. Another good thing to try is, do the movements very slowly looks good to the audience looks like you are trying to be as clear as possible in your moves and it slows down any possible noise you might cause.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I have also had this problem with the noise, which is a shame, as Hopping Halves is a great trick. Recently I have been performing Mark Jenests version from his video
"Miracles While U Wait". His version does not use a shell, but creates the same kind of effect. Also Carl Andrews has a version which uses no fakes at all on one of his videos. Of course these versions are harder to do than the standard Hopping Halves, but eliminate noise problems, and automatically reset.

Regards,
Iain.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with Vovin, I have just worn out - read that - messed up my second set of Hopping Halves because they go everywhere with me.

Two hints for not messing up your hopping halves.
1. If you keep them in your wallet, don't sit on it as the shells will bend.
2. Don't keep them in your pocket with the coins contacting each other as they become worn and strangely shiny on the high spots.

As for Noise, I used to have the noise problem too, but Vovin has hit on the same two issues that have cleaned up my handling and the noise, keep the coins apart and handle everything slowly and deliberately.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
owenwildboy
View Profile
New user
Owen Wilder
59 Posts

Profile of owenwildboy
Are there good and bad makes of hopping halves? The ones I have don't seem very snug and I think that if I keep my hand still for too long people will see the grooves.

Any ideas?

Owen
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
As with any manufactured magic stuff, there are probably good and "not as good" ones.

But as for the specs seeing the edge, don't give them the chance. Keep your hands below their eye level. Keep your hands loosley curved up - not quite cupped - but let the coins sit in an ever so slight valley in your hand. That will make you feel better. And for the really exceptionally snoopy spectator, you have taken away some possible exposed points.

But generally, if you keep things moving along, and don't give them too much time to examine the results, you will be fine with any decent handling.

I think the flow of it, letting them see that you still have two coins, one copper, and one silver, is enough. Don't leave it out there for too long or they will start thinking about how you did it, and you want to control the pace and everything in the presentation right up until the end when you are clean. THEN you release control, and let them wonder not only how did the coins stay, but now they have the added problem, of wondering where did the coins go!

Keep working on it, and you will fall in love with this effect, loose shells or not.

I have two sets, and one is looser than the other, and I really don't care which set I use to perform, because I control what they see, and for how long, and I direct their thinking along the way.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
owenwildboy
View Profile
New user
Owen Wilder
59 Posts

Profile of owenwildboy
Thanks for the good advice. I will keep on moving!(so to speak)

Owen
Enigma
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
41 Posts

Profile of Enigma
OK, if you are looking for a noisless Hopping Halves... Might I suggest "Short Hop" from the "Miracles Whle You Wait Video" With Mark Jenest. Trust me the Video is the bomb and so is the routine.

Enigma
You got to stand for something or you will fall for anything .... unless you are tired and you need to lay down or at least sit down then it is ok not to stand, my own opinion of course.

Enigma
owenwildboy
View Profile
New user
Owen Wilder
59 Posts

Profile of owenwildboy
Thanks, I will look into that.
nelson
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of nelson
There's some GREAT advice on here. Thanks!

I was wondering which manufacturers you all prefer for Hopping Halves?

Johnson?
Sterling?

Which one do you prefer and are there quality differences?

There's even the set that's called Gold and Silver using Roman-like coins instead of Half dollars and English pennies. Do any of you have trouble with specs thinking that these coins are gimmicked just because they are not real coins?

Thanks for your help!
Nels
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Johnson's are better than Sterling's.
Click to visit:
davisjr
View Profile
New user
Colorado
64 Posts

Profile of davisjr
I like the Johnson product as well. I like to use the half and English penny set, as I use these (actual) coins in other routines and it all fit well.

In regards to coins being destroyed, I long ago bought a coin pouch from our local magic dealer - something someone obviously homemade. When it's open there are two separate pouches side by side - each just big enough to hold a set of coins (I put hopping half in one side with quarter (in bottle) and scotch & soda set up ready to go in the other). There's a flap that comes down and is held in place with a spot of velcro on each corner and then the whole thing folds in half so the two sides face each other, again held in place by velcro. Keeps lots of coins ready to go and I either get them out while at the bathroom and load into pants pocket prior to performing or, if I'm wearing loose pants, I can actually get coins out with one hand in my pocket (unassumingly, of course, lest anyone ask what the heck it is I'm doing Smile ).
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Quote:
On 2002-04-22 09:35, Iain Moran wrote:
I have also had this problem with the noise, which is a shame, as Hopping Halves is a great trick. Recently I have been performing Mark Jenests version from his video
"Miracles While U Wait". His version does not use a shell, but creates the same kind of effect. Also Carl Andrews has a version which uses no fakes at all on one of his videos. Of course these versions are harder to do than the standard Hopping Halves, but eliminate noise problems, and automatically reset.

Regards,
Iain.

I am using the Carl Andrews routine... the coins can be examined before hand, no noise, no gimmicks and it resets instantly!

Tony
Tony Chapparo
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
If you play some music such as "Tubular Bells" fairly loudly, you will not find clinking sounds to be a problem. Smile

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I recently pulled my set out of a dusty drawer to try out the following:

Tickled by a remark at McBride's Masterclass I wanted to compose a routine with the hopping halfs in the vertical plane (a la 3-fly) for stand up work.
I think I did a good job. It can be performed now for up to 30 persons at a time.
There is no thin sounding because of good routining. I'm only days away from performing it for paid venues.
Did anyone else ever try this?
If so, wanna share some thoughts? Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I agree with everyone who uses Jennest's Short Hop, off his Miracles While You Wait video. It is a great routine and the coins are examinable at the beginning.

For the record, Carl Andrews routine is basically the same as Jennests, with one or two subtle handling changes I believe. Carl, if my memory serves correctly, asked permission of Jennest before putting his routine on video.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin noise - hopping halves etc. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL