The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
What types of tricks do you do (or have you done) to accompanying Gospel or Christian-themed patter?

Such as:

Professor's Nightmare - how we see each other vs. how God sees us

T&R Card - what sin does and what can be done about it - Christ's D/B/R
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
Geoff,

I have a bit with an Ambitious card routine that talks about resurection, Lazarus and Christ's own, and the result being that even though we are bent and broken due to sin, because of Christ's resurection, we will be too one day. (story follows right along with the ambitious from Ammar's, Easy to Master)

Matt
johncrosby
View Profile
New user
Oviedo, FL
67 Posts

Profile of johncrosby
The King is Coming is awsome and I am just starting to do the routine. I have had several opportunities to use it and the effect works great.

John

Smile
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

John,

What's the effect?

johncrosby
View Profile
New user
Oviedo, FL
67 Posts

Profile of johncrosby
You use 6 cards, Ace through 5 and the King of Hearts. Everytime you spell the number of a card, that number comes up. Everytime your volunteer spells a number card, the King of Hearts (Jesus) comes up. You start by talking about Jesus birth, and move along until you explain how Jesus is going to come again.

Smile
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Thanks. It sounds a lot like the handling of David Williamson's "He Who Spelt It, Dealt It" from the book "Williamson's Wonders."

johncrosby
View Profile
New user
Oviedo, FL
67 Posts

Profile of johncrosby
It came from the Gospel according to Hoyle by Robert Hill.

John

Smile
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
One which I think is original to me is this, about balanced Christian faith.

The effect is the Professor's Nightmare, and I talk about how as Christians we have faith in God the Holy Trinity - Father, Son and Spirit. But most of us have a faith that focuses on one Person of God; in the Church of England it's often the Father, in majesty and glory, loving but distant. This I represent with the long rope. We're not too bad on the Son - God who speaks through the Scriptures and whom we see revealed in Jesus. This is the medium rope. That leaves the Holy Spirit, bringing faith to life now and - oh dear. Not much rope left! (Obviously this can easily be adapted depending on the emphases of your own church/audience)

I then stretch the ropes to equal length, tie them at the top and plait the three lengths while I talk about the three Persons of God interweaving.

Any thoughts on this, especially on how to develop it further, would be appreciated!
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
Quote:
On 2002-04-15 16:42, Geoff Williams wrote:
Professor's Nightmare - how we see each other vs. how God sees us

I guess this wasn't an original thing with me then! Here is my routine:

"Can I get some help here? I'm trying to figure something out." I then hand out the short, medium and long pieces of rope to different children.

"Can anybody tell me anything they notice about these ropes?"
<I'd sometimes offer "I noticed that this one is white...." (they're all white!)>

Usually it didn't take them long to notice the different lengths. "Yep, it's funny how the first thing we often notice about people is how they are different... You know what I mean..." taking back the short rope "for example, if this was a person, they'd be teased 'Hey shorty!' or 'shrimpo'. If this was a person, you'd hear 'you are SO average'. And for this guy, he'd be teased like: 'you got anything besides legs?' 'How's the weather up there?' But do you know what? GOD sees us quite differently! He loves us ALL THE SAME." [present equal length ropes].

"But the saddest part of all is that even though we know God loves us all the same, we spend a lot of time picking on one another and looking at each other in the wrong way..." [show ropes as original lengths] "... you know, short, average and tall. How do you think the world would be different if instead we saw each other the way God sees us?"

I originally posted this in the Gospel Magicians Forum (nearly defunct now that Delphi is charging to use it). It's also on my web site: http://steven.i.am/magic/gospel_misc.htm#GodsEyes
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
Doc Haley sells some great Gospel props.
http://www.gospelmagic.com/
I use their three card repeat and their Bible (magic colouring book).

I have used a card & coin routine where the backs of the cards are normal and the spec counts with the coin to a card. Whatever card they land on has a "Jesus Loves You" type message on the back. The moral "Where ever you end up God loves you". I can't remember the name of the routine.

The newspaper tear that becomes a giant corn stalk for the "Mustard seed" parable.

Hope these suggestions are a help.
cheers
Maynooth Smile
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

I sometimes use this gag: I say "For those of you with Bibles, please open them to the book of Revelation" as I open my fire book and have flames coming out of it.

Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
When I used to go to "children's church" when I was about twelve or so, the guy who was running the thing did that one a lot. It blew my mind . . . only problem, he claimed it was "the power of God" . . . sheesh . . . it was still a cool effect, though.
Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Good One Geoff!

You could really take it a step farther too, if you want to heap some heavy guilt on the flock.

"I have a message for someone here today - right out of God's Word - How have You been Living your Life? You know you have not been Living Right! And You know who you are! But so does God! Here!" thrusting the book forward... "Let me tell you what is in store for you!"

Open the book and see how many folks bolt for the door, and how many fall to the floor!

Whew! Talk about "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God!"

I would guess a fair number would be moved in both directions in most churches today!

I could try that sometime, but I preach by invitation only, and I don't think I would get invited back! Smile Or if I did, I don't think many would want to see what was next Smile

Thanks again Geoff for that funny picture!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

BroDavid,

I just thought of a line to follow "...open them to the book of Revelation":

Flames are leaping up for a couple of beats, then close the book and say "Yeesh! It's not all good news, either." And leave it at that.

Not directly offensive but still makes a point.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1809 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2002-04-17 04:49, NickW wrote:
One which I think is original to me is this, about balanced Christian faith.

The effect is the Professor's Nightmare, and I talk about how as Christians we have faith in God the Holy Trinity - Father, Son and Spirit. But most of us have a faith that focuses on one Person of God; in the Church of England it's often the Father, in majesty and glory, loving but distant. This, I represent with the long rope. We're not too bad on the Son - God who speaks through the Scriptures and whom we see revealed in Jesus. This is the medium rope. That leaves the Holy Spirit, bringing faith to life now and - oh dear. Not much rope left! (Obviously this can easily be adapted depending on the emphases of your own church/audience)

I then stretch the ropes to equal length, tie them at the top and plait the three lengths while I talk about the three Persons of God interweaving.

Any thoughts on this, especially on how to develop it further, would be appreciated!

Good line of thought with that one. The neglect of sound doctrine on the Holy Trinity is a major problem area in the Church today. Your routine illustrates the concept of the three Persons of the Trinity being equal in their divinity, yet one in unity. I would end up the routine by turning the three equal ropes (Father, Son, Holy Spirit-All Equally GOD) back into ONE single rope (GOD is One).

So, you start with one rope (One GOD), cut into three unequal pieces (talking about how different Christians tend to focus on one of the Persons of the Godhead over the others), then the three unequal pieces transform into three equal pieces of rope, finally back into one long piece of rope.
John
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of John
I introduce my time by saying something like this:

"The art of illusion is a minor performing art, but it is an art none the less and like other arts it can be used to give glory to life's Source and life's Lord. What I enjoy about illusion as an audience member is that when it happens - for the moment it happens - the impossible is made visible - which, when you think about it is a pretty good starting place to think about things Christian, because in Jesus Christ Christians believe the "impossible" has not only been made visible - its been made real. So for a few moments this evening I'd like to use the art of illusion to speak of the truth of Jesus Christ and of God's amazing love for His people."

John
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Quote:
What types of tricks do you do (or have you done) to accompanying Gospel or Christian-themed patter?

Straitjacket escape - Fighting and resisting temptation James 4:7, 1 Cor 10:13

Strat-O-Sphere - Keeping God at the top of our lives/Putting Jesus first in our life.

Joe Marotta
Smile
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Greetings,

When presenting the "Ink to Goldfish", I start by explaining that there is a great deal of talk about pollution these days.
I bring out a glass of pure, clear water and then drop a bit of ink in and stir it up.
"No one would drink this now", I say. "But while conserving our natural resources is important, there is another pollution that is just as important to avoid... the pollution of our minds and hearts."

I go on to explain that we can hide this pollution (cover it with a silk) but that won't make it go away. (I pull the silk away and the water is still black.) "There is only one cure for this kind of pollution ... the Word of God!" The silk is pulled away again, but this time, the water is clear and a live fish (Christian symbol) is swimming in the glass.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
John
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of John
Gypsy Thread or C and R rope - where each of us betray Christ, each in our own way, where each of us fail him each in our own time, what good news that Jesus takes broken people just like us to make into his royal priesthood and holy nation.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
There is a little trick called "Explosion chamber" or something like that, consisting of a solid little red plastic ball and a clear plastic box and lid. I think I paid around 3 bucks for it (maybe I still got taken for it at that price).

Anyways the enclosed patter has you somehow getting the ball inside with it apparently completely closed. I do the reverse and close it empty before the spec, after they examine both items, and also proceed to secure it shut with rubber bands. Then I explain that the red ball represents Christ and the box is our heart.

As we live our lives we commit sins and our hearts can even become bound up in sin, etc... Then a few taps on the lid with the ball as I mention how Jesus will knock on the door to our heart, never force himself in but He will knock... then about here I cover the box with a silk or handkerchief, placing the ball on top and letting them touch the hanky and feel that the ball is resting on top.

Then I explain that when we ask Jesus into our hearts, no matter what we have done or how bound up in sin we are He promises to come into our hearts and dwell within us. Then with a gentle pushing down motion on the handkerchief on both sides of the box the ball is seen (although still under the silk) and heard to go into the box. Lift off the silk, shake the box a little displaying the ball inside for all to see (keeping the somewhat open side facing me), remove rubber bands and open the lid.

I have only done this for small groups of friends and kids, not in a church show or anything, mostly because I haven't done any large paid shows, etc. But was thinking a slightly larger version would be great. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, or please let me know if I just explained in all this detail something someone has already worked out!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL