The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JBlaxton
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
7 Posts

Profile of JBlaxton
Hi,
I'm new to the Café, but thought I'd share a routine I just learned (it's probably old for everyone else!). I was surfing the internet and ran across a card trick. The screen showed six face cards. You were asked to pick one, but not to click on it. Then, you were to click on a tornado (to simulate that the computer was mixing up the cards). Then you clicked on a bunny and five cards came up on the screen with the statement: YOUR CARD IS MISSING!

Of course, it was. I figured it out pretty quickly and decided I could use it this way:

I would display six very large face cards on a homemade stand, and have as many people in the audience who can see them to stand up and mentally pick a card, but to keep it to themselves. I then remove the cards, turn the stand around, "mix them up", display five, turn the stand around, and say, "IF YOUR CARD IS MISSING, PLEASE TAKE YOUR SEAT."

Of course, everyone should be seated.

The message, say:
"This trick will work for one person as easily as it will for (however many stood up to do it, say) 100 people. And do you know what? I didn't have to make any changes in the way I did it. Even though you, the members of the audience, selected your own card, the trick worked the same for everyone.

"The gospel of Jesus is, also, the same for everyone. It is the same for one person, and it is the same for 100's of people. It is the same for the intellectual, and the same for the young child. It is the same for the college graduate, and the same for the cook at the fast food restaurant.

"The messages of salvation through Jesus NEVER needs to be changed. The same message that has been around 2,000 years is still the same today."
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
I use a color changing deck routine I learned from Harry Lorayne's book "The Magic Book". I explain to the audience that sight is a wonderful gift from God and I show them the faces of the cards having them tell me the colors and I show the backs of the cards asking them to tell me the color. I then show the faces and ask the audience member to select a card to represent them and to memorize it. I review quickly asking them to name the color of the pip on various cards then I ask them to tell me what color the backs of the cards are.

I tell them that man looks on the outside but God looks on the heart. I turn over the deck and the backs have changed color except for one card. I turn the off colored card over and it is the card that the spectator selected.

I tell them that people may look fine on the outside but God truly knows what we are all really like. I pull a card from the bottom of the deck and turn it over. It has a picture of Jesus on it. I rub the up face Jesus card on the face of the down turned specators card and explain that through redemption and spending time with God and through prayer, Jesus can convert us to look more like him. I use the Jesus card to flip over the spectators card and it now has changed to have a picture of Jesus on it.

There are a numerous ways to convert standard magic tricks to work for gospel presentations. The more you work at it the easier it will become. Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have the "Fish and Loaves Repeat Jumbo Cards". I really like it a lot.

I have also used the Invisible Deck to show how God's amazing power can locate us in our ocean of sin, and then "turn us around" so that we can see ourselves as He sees us - as one desperately in need of a Savior!

Wild Card is good to show how God conforms us to the image of His Son!

With imagination, you can apply the Word to many effects!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
My wife's favorite is a routine I do with a Lotta Bowl. I talk about how much love Jesus had for us, and how he was the "living water". Unlike this vessel which has a limited supply (pour until empty), we can always turn to Jesus, for as the living water, he will always provide for our needs. (Make several pours as you continue to discuss His endless love etc)

Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." - John 4

It is fairly easy to make a great lotta bowl that look like an earthen jug. E-mail me and I will provide instructions.
To His Glory,
Doug Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
ThePuppetPeople
View Profile
New user
Ontario Canada
1 Post

Profile of ThePuppetPeople
I just bought a Dove and Dove pan and was trying to come up with solid patter for the illusion. I'd like to use the Bible story about Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego. Has anyone done this? If so, what do you put in the pan in the beginning?

Thanks!

Also, Has anyone used the Dollar Bill levitation routine to a Christian patter?
No Strings Attached...
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Though not along the lines you are looking for, I find the dove to be an excellent representation of Christ, with the dove being used on Noah's ark and the Baptism.

I use a night club dove vanisher to talk about the death, the dove vanishes and after pulling it apart I am left with a silk that has a doves picture on it, talking about the boulder being moved aside and finding only his shroud left behind.

I then go into the Resurrection putting the silk into a dove pan, with a little fire flash the silk "becomes" the dove, she flys to a pearch at the back of the audience as I talk about His ascent into Heaven.

This routine has been a strong effect in my shows, people have asked after that routine if I was ever planning to get into Ministry, some even cry from the Lord's hand in the effect.

I know that it was not what you were looking for but I thought I'd share anyway.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
Seems like I've seen a routine using an enlarged "oddball" apparatus with three blocks on two ropes. The one in the center representing sin, the ones on either side, man and God.

I believe Jesus was represented with a silk which is placed over the blocks. His death and resurrection are represented by the knot that is died in "one" of the ropes. The result being that sin is removed and God and man are rejoined.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Andre Kole has a similar routine (which is also marketed on his website) that uses 3 balls threaded on a metal or wooden rod. The center ball is removed quite openly during the course of this Gospel presentation routine.

Check it out at:

http://www.andrekole.org/3-ball.html
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Handydandymagic
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Handydandymagic
Hello everyone,
I have a small problem, I just bought "Jonah's Second Chance" by Supreme, at an auction without directions. Although I know how the trick works (Pet Shop Pranks)I don't have the patter. I was wondering if anyone has the patter or knows where to get it? Thanks in advance for any help.
Thanks and have a Magical day.
Dandy
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
380 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
I use forgetful freddie to tell the story of the prodigal son.
Rick
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
Cut -n- Restore Rope trick Use that as a Salvation Message.

Get a name I use that to show that God knows your thoughts

Dissapearing Knot - Show that Following Jesus, will erase your fears and doubts

Two Card Monte - Shows how Jesus took your place on the Cross
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2742 Posts

Profile of John Long
I posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd add it to this list.

I took a "Coloring Book", and pasted black and red paper over the black and colored pictures. Pasted gold paper on the extra blank pages(which allows a reverse riffle with a gold color) and covered the outside with green.

Then I tell the story of the "Wordless Book" - a book w/no words or pictures, but yet it tells a wonderfull story.

Starting at the back of the book to find out how it ends, we see gold on each page. This stands for heaven, a perfect place, but theres one thing that can never be in heaven..

Back to front, and 1'st riffle: all pages are now black, which represents sin, and keeps us out of heaven.

2'nd riffle: all pages are red, which represents blood/death. Although God loves us enough to create a wonderfull place for us(heaven), he can't let us in(sin). He solved this problem in the person of Jesus (Is 53:6). So the red stands for His blood/death, not ours

3'rd riffle: all pages are white, which represents being cleaned or cleansed.
Though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be white as snow (Is 1:18)

This cleansing is offered as a gift Rm 6:23

but not all receive this gift. It is received by Faith, which is believing that Jesus death/resurrection is both sufficient and sole payment for our sins.

Jn 3:16

The last chapter of this book, is the outside, its green, which represents life. We talked about 2 kinds of life: here & the in after world. This book about how to get life everlasting. (or can represent growing as a Christian)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Ambitious card using the king of hearts as JESUS exclaiming that he is to be number one in our lives and some people put HIM in the middle near the top or even on the bottom but if we are willing there he will be in the place that he should be ON TOP
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Some effects that come to mind ...

Blendo:
God takes broken peices of our lives and reshapes us into a whole person.
This is an effective illustration for folks who have been through all kinds of travails and feel that their life is falling apart.

Lotta bowl:
God's love is never ending.

Card Warp:
Whenever I do a new seminar or teaching (I conduct ALPHA seminars for my church, for example), I do the Card Warp at the end. I use it to illustrate how what we've been learning can change a person - from the inside out - but we've only begun. Now that the seminar is over, each participant can choose to stop there (final step of card warp) or can continue on and let God keep working in their life. I then encourage the participants to continue with follow up courses, small groups, whatever is appropriate for that particular application. This illustrates that if they just stop at that point, they are cheating themselves because God wants to continue the work started in them in this seminar. If they stop, they will remain in this "incomplete" state. My description here is poor, but the effect and presentation is actually very encouraging and motivating.

Dream Bag:
I use this to illustrate the treasures that God places into each of us when we accept him. I add 3 silks to the loads to illustrate the 9 gifts of the Spirit. I draw on the fact that the dream bag is a plain/ordinary bag - nothing special, but with the Spirit of God inside, there is much beauty and wonder to be found. I also use this in a motivational presentation about judging others inspired by Steve Taylor.

20th Century Silks:
Jesus bridges the gap between God and Man (middle silk - red - represents Jesus, two end silks represent God and Man).

Rope through Body:
The rope represents the bondages of this world. When we give ourselves to Christ, he loosens those bonds and frees us from them. We still are exposed to bondage, but we have freedom from it's effects through Christ. The passing of the rope through the body shows His protection over us. I also use with kids to teach them how to simply witness to their peers, tieing up their youth pastor (or pastor) and after leading him through a kids version of the sinner's prayer, make the bonds break and pass through.

Just some quick ideas and food for thought.

-Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL