The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Voice Quality in Promo Videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I'm sure this has been covered before, but the Café search hasn't been working on my computer for some reason.

I'm going to start making my promo video. However, I don't want the quality of my voice to come out badly by relying only on the camera's mic. I've also seen videos of people who have a PA system, but their voice was projected a little too loudly and still ruined the quality. Does anyone have any tips on making good sound quality on a video? Thanks!

Dave
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Wow thanks!
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
That's a great link Clinton... I do video for a living and whenever I film a person speaking, my preference is to put a wireless lapel mic on them. Granted there are some situation where this won't work but in general the sound quality is about as good as you can get if you're only needing the one person's voice.

My next favorite method for groups or where I can't mic the individual is a good quality shotgun mic, these are designed to be very directional so if you can have someone operating it on a handheld boom and directing it towards the speaker, you'll have better luck.

Of course I don't know anything about the camera your using or what kind of inputs it has but that's my two cents.

Corey
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Can you recommend a quality (yet affordable) wireless lapel mic? Some that I've seen are subtle, others look like they might as well be a hand held mic. Either way I'm new in this area of electronics.
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
BH Photo has tons of them. I use a Sennheiser wireless lapel which cost around $600. You can certainly spend MUCH more for them but I've been happy with this one. I also have a Sony set that works very well and was around $300.

I've never used one, but have heard that, for the money, the Azden 105LT is pretty good. It's a little less than $300.

The mics are small but not invisible. Remember though that when using mics for video, it's not like live production...you don't have problems with feedback so you can get away with things like putting it under someone's shirt or hiding it in a prop that they're carrying. That being said I usually just stick it on their shirt and as long as the wires are hidden, I don't think the mic itself looks too bad.

Hope this helps.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2010-10-06 11:02, PCoreyB wrote:
Remember though that when using mics for video, it's not like live production...you don't have problems with feedback so you can get away with things like putting it under someone's shirt or hiding it in a prop that they're carrying.

While feedback is not a concern when speakers are not used, mic placement still is just as important. You cannot separate a mic and a mouth with fabric, and still expect the mic to sound as good. Depending upon the prop, and its position relative to the mouth, puting a mic inside the prop probably won't work satisfactorily, either.

Your application of doing a promo video without the use of a PA does not change the rules for mic placement. You still need to locate the mic as per the manufacturer's recommendations. Poor placement will result in poor sound quality. As always, the balance is between sound quality and visibility. To a large extent, they work against one another.
Good luck!
Dan McLean Jr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Voice Quality in Promo Videos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL