The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Venue & finding your audience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Just wondering where one can find a venue to perform strange and unusual magic. I like this type of magic due to the strong theater behind it. Strangely enough, I am also intersted in the other end of the spectrim, kids and comedy magic. However... Where do you get your audience? Recently I performed for the local club and you could hear a pin drop in the middle of the performance. As anyone been shun from their local IBM/SAM clubs for presenting this type of magic? I think I have finally hit the breaking point and found my way out of the eggshell of what most consider "proper" magic. Thanks in advance and thanks for dealing with my bad grammar.

Jay Steffen Smile Smile
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Welcome to a brave new world. And no, you are not alone in getting a negative reaction from more 'mainstream' performers. I have been in the magic shop and been talking about what I do and gotten the "why don't your perform real magic" line (ironic if you think about it)..

Anyway, venue is what you make of it. Most of us probably started out performing for friends. I have seen bizarrists perform on the street. Many host or are hired for parties. I am currently building two theatres where I will perform this October(adjacent to a large local haunted house) where I will perform 82 shows in 12 nights and will work backstage for another 68 shows in 5 nights (two going at a time). There have been other ideas put forth in this forum, many by Caleb Strange. The point is, sometimes you have to create your own venue. With a little imagination, the possibilities are endless.

Your brother in magick,

Dave
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dave has it pretty close to the real thing:
Very often in bizarre you have to create your own venue, whether that is the physical venue or the "need" in the lay public's mind.

T'ain't easy!

But, then, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!
Smile
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I've found that the way I was able to do this was to do my regular act and slowly begin introducing some bizarre pieces in one at a time. I don't do an entire bizarre act, but then not too many magicians performing do (and work a lot!)
:)
Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
It is unfortunate.... In the traditional sense of canes and top hats that we are actors playing the part of magicians. Yet, many magicians shun TRUE theater. Will we ever reach an age where magicians are judged based on the strenght of the presentation as opposed to the number of tricks they do?
Jay Steffen
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Jay, where it counts, it already happens.

:comply:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Venue & finding your audience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL