The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I have a beloved set of Johnson SCB that I bought about 14 years ago - love the way the coins still feel, handle, and the tolerances seem right on the "money."

A friend in my office just bought a brand new SCB direct from Johnson but in comparing the two sets it seems like the new set didn't have quite as tight a look and feel. The gi***** was a little looser and moved a bit so it seemed like when switching to another hand you would get a little unwanted sound whereas mine is rock tight.

I have always had the highest admiration and respect for Johnson - just wondering if they are still putting out the same quality, is the consistency still the same... Because honestly he was a little disappointed.

The Chinese replica coin also looked slightly different in terms of thickness from my older set.

Is Tango the best place to get SCB now for under $75 ? Who is making the best set for the $$$ now?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Good question! I'm in the market for set myself so I'd second the question....
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi saysold1
Tell him to install some teflon tape inside the noisy shell. I did that to my set and now it works perfect. I was afraid of showing the effect due to the noise problem.Now you can't here a thing.
hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Cool - but Ralph please give us your no holds barred feedback on the Johnson quality question.

I mean to me their quality is pretty much legendary, but have they lowered the bar a bit lately. You shouldn't have to add tape if the gaff is spot on right?

I would expect that with a Sasco, but not Johnson!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know...I just emailed Johnson with a question about a possible gaffed coin, and was very complimentary to them about their quality and service (in the past). I got a very curt reply. "We don't make that." Nothing about appreciating my complimentary email, nothing about thanks for being a Johnson customer, nothing. Just those four words.

I haven't bought a Johnson product in a few years, and saysold1, after reading your post, I wonder myself. Hmmm...maybe things HAVE changed.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I have never had problems with Johnson Products, and in fact only had to deal with them once, and they were extremely courteous. All of the re products - at least back in the day when I purchased them - had an unconditional replacement policy.

I am not wealthy so unlike many here, I simply cannot afford Lassen or Schoolcraft stuff. I know they are great, but, my money goes to books and to marketing. Johnson Products have served me well.

I should hasten to add a fact that perhaps at least a few may NOT know. Johnson's primary business was not the manufacture of magic products. At least when I was a demonstrator s little as 7 years ago, Johnson's main industry was machining as a defense contractor.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yes Vlad I actually did know they were in the defense business - and that the coins were simply a secondary business.

As I said they quality was always considered state of the art, and deservedly so.

I would just like to hear from anyone else who has recently bought their gaffs and who could compare them to their past products.

Not meaning to take anything away from the well deserved reputation of one of magic's great manufacturers and genuine innovators.

I can't afford Lassen or Schoolcraft either!
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
I just hope their bullets aren't suffering in quality.
I bought a johnson hopping half set, a folding coin and a scotch and soda set from them and have had no problems. I've also had a flipper coin of theirs that was great
maybe its batch?
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
I too had a similar experience.

About 6 years ago, I got my half dollar [, and it was really good. It looked so much like the real coin.

But last year when I got another set, it looked really bad. Looked more like a Sasco [ than a Johnsons.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I bought a Johnson CSB set about eight years ago. I don't use it, because I have other sets I prefer, but the tolerance on my set is excellent.

I bought a Johnson Scotch and Soda set last year, and it's tolerance is excellent.

I guess I think that anything that is man made can vary. The top craftsmen spend time with each unit to make sure it is right. The mass producers do their best to get the "run" right, but may not spend the same amount of time with each set to make sure it is right.
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Yes their quality has slipped very noticeably in the last 5 years.
I have many Johnson products that I have been using for over 20yrs.
The magic shop I visit used to carry many Johnson products but he has not replaced those products as they sell due to this issue right now.
It took 15yrs for them to make those dollar sized Chinese coins despite all the requests for them. So, something is going on there, perhaps a changing of the management or new owners could be the fault there.
They are in business to machine things other than magic and it is beginning to show.
Mike
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
As someone just getting into coins I have over the last year purchased a bunch of Johnson's products. That being said the one time I had a small issue I wrote to Kathy at Johnson's who replied immediately saying anytime I am not satisfied with any of their coins Just send it back. I have purchased maybe 15 items and had only 1 minor issue . Their customer service is great and When I email them Kathy always replies with a note saying how much they appreciate my feedback.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
That is great to hear in terms of customer service - what I may do is have my friend call Kathy and see if she can send us another SCB with a tighter Gi*****. I agree that all this stuff is hand work and there may be variance.

My biggest interest in submitting this thread is to hopefully get feedback from longtime customers of Johnson who cab compare the quality over time.

Thanks to all responding.
benjie84
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
234 Posts

Profile of benjie84
I have a hopping half set and it's nice, when all "set" it's very convincing. I recently ordered a tango CSB set which should be here any day now. Saysold1, I you'd like I can post a review or pm you details about it when It arrives.

Ben
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks Ben - yes please, post your review here when you get the Tango set.

BRETT
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
OK so my friend Roland and I figured out the problem with his brand new JOhnson set of SCB...

1. The copper plating of the Mexican Centavo side of the Gi***** was very poorly made. There are obvious washes of silver at the edges of the coin. This is a brand new set bought directly from MadHatter.

2) The inner sh*** for the gi***** is definitely DIMPLED slightly in the middle, hence it will not seat properly and rocks a bit back and forth and is not flush. I'm surprised they let this unit out of the factory frankly...

He sent a message to Kathy... and based on previous responses here I don't anticipate any issues as they have a lifetime guarantee. I'm sure they will make it right.

We also noticed that the Centavo seemed like it was a slightly newer Centavo (1974) and looks like a play coin...and my old Johnson looks like the coin has a better relief (1971). I dunno! Maybe we are being too picky...

Click here to view attached image.
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Saysold1 remember I had issues with my Johnson 2c1s ? The copper wore out really quickly.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The centavo should be copper straight through.....they don't plate them or at least didn't used to.
I am surprised to see that...could they be replicating them now since they no longer mint those coins?

Mike
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I agree with Mobius. I have never seen a copper plated 20 centavos. They are pure copper.
They no longer mint this coin, but they mint a "copy" of it (replica coin with the word "copy" on one side). I haven't examined them with the idea of checking to see if they are plated, but in my handling of the copies, they have also appeared to be real copper coins. I have seen Scotch and Sodas, and I think CSB sets that use these copies from gaff makers other than Johnson.

I don't own any of the "copies". Can anyone who does chime in?

I played around tonight with the Johnson Scotch and Soda I bought that was purchased new last year, and it works flawlessly. It incorporates an original copper 20 Centavo in the gaff and mine came with an additional original 20 Centavo. The set seems to be current vintage, but I must admit that the Kennedy half is a 1971. The shop I bought it at got it from Johnson last year. I know that any recent Tango halves I have seen are 2000 or newer.

I know I'm babbling, but I guess I'm saying that a current set I bought from Johnson uses pure brass 20 Centavos.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
So Sammy here it what we found most interesting: The 20 Centavo gaff coin that is shown in the photo I posted looked somehow different than the 14 year old CSB set that I had. The biggest difference that was very obvious was the "relief" and depth of the image on the coin.

The newer Johnson coins seemed to look flat, and then of course there were the imperfections/variations in the coloring especially at the outer edges.

Reading the posts from some here I almost get the idea now that Johnson is mining their own replica Centavo coins but if that is true... they just plain suck.

The 20 Centavo coins must be in short supply apparently.

I also wonder this - If Johnson can't get their hands on quality Centavo's (or they are too $$$) and they are now possibly using inferior replicas, then why not just switch to a different genuine brass coin of similar size from any county if that results in a better product?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL