The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Show movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've been looking at show related movies this week. Two exceptional ones, both also directed by Tod Browning (who did Freaks) are "The Unholy Three" and "The Unknown".

Browning left home at an impressionable age, joined a circus, and worked as a contortionist and clown. This left him with a strong sense of what was "normal" from the eyes of both towners and showfolks. The differences are certainly an important part of quite a few of his films.

Both are silent films starring Lon Chaney Sr. I'd forgotten how amazing an actor he was.

Both are on Youtube. The Unholy Three is about 90 minutes. The Unknown is about an hour.

Check them out! They're well worth watching.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Tod Browning's The Show from 1927 is also worth seeing.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I still think that it is cool that "The Unholy Three" novel was written by Tod Robbins...one d.

Any chance of being related Todd?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
No relation, but it makes people wonder if Todd Robbins is my real name. Clarence "Tod" Robbins also wrote Spurs, the short story Freaks is based upon.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I lucked out this year. My school library has a ginormous collection of obscure vintage flicks. They even have an entire series of Houdini silents!
Here's a bunch of short strongman videos:
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Videos/videos.htm

I also recently Netflixed the series "Carnivale." If you like showfolk and being depressed, that's the show.

Here's an interesting rescource for old film clips:
http://www.britishpathe.com/

Here's a bit more specific: http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php?search=sideshow

There's a search engine. Have fun.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"The Terror of Tiny Town" This is not a film to see, if you want plot, or good acting. But it's fun anyway, an odd parody.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"The Unholy Three" by Tod Robbins...the book on which the movie was based. This is a great read, and becomes one of those stories where the differences between book and movie, while not hugely significant, are details that do to your brain, what the first bite of a cinnamon bun does to taste buds. They just roll around, and make you go mmmmm.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Show movies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL