The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L&L Publishing, Banachek, Richard Osterlind, etc. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
Hi Guys

I was just watching Mind Mysteries by Richard Osterlind and
I noticed something strange and funny. I noticed that the
spectators are really impressed, shocked, and freak out
after each effect. I find it weird and wanted to know how
do this happen. Do they pay them to react extra? How?

I'm not saying it is bad, I am just wondering and find it funny.

Paul>W
From Israel
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1450 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
The secret, I think, is to choose your audience and your setting. Also many people will play up for the camera in these circumstances - no need to pay them! Ultimately it's all in the editing.

Mike
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wSEenzsKPY&feature=related

For example...

Michael, you might be right.
I think it is really funny...
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
When such videos are shot it is fairly standard practice for the producers to bring in a number of friends and family -- and that often includes other magicians -- to serve as the "audience." The videos that are shot at "live performances" by a "real" audience are the exception rather than the rule -- especially when it comes to those with the best production quality as shooting at a "real" performance rarely affords the opportunity for the best shots.
Dick Christian
joemcdull
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of joemcdull
I don't think it is a big problem
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
The L&L audience virges on, but is not quite, a "claque." See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claque for further information.

L&L invites a number of people who enjoy magic and are willing to sit through the numerous breaks and camera set-ups that are necessary over the course of a day or two of shooting enough material for several DVDs.

Having been a part of the shoot for Docc Hilford's DVDs the audience is fed at least one excellent catered meal. They get to see some good magic over the course of a day's shooting.

By contrast I was at a shoot of Blackstone, Jr's show at the Wilshire Ebell theater. As the day wore on and breaks had to be made the audience shrank and had to be moved forward and consolodated into fewer and fewer seats.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1371 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I've been involved in a number of live audience TV shoots for either pilots, or first season shows. Sine these shows are new, they have no, or very few fans, so the production company hires an outside vendor that specializes in "live audiences".

They are typically made up of out of work actors, and since they are paid, it's their job to sit through the process of shooting a studio show, something that can be extremely tedious and time consuming.

As has already been mentioned, this isn't what L&L does, but it is standard practice for many studio shoots with an audience.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I have seen many repeat audience members throughout the years on L&L video and DVD. It's getting to the point that is almost like a high school reunion.

I wonder what ol' Frank is up to...?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Frank, Scotty, Janelle...I want to hire them to come on tour with me.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Someone told me that Frank actually showed up at a magic convention where he was and lots of people wanted his autograph. I know I would! I have a Eugene Burger tape where he has a lot more hair then he does now. Not quite an afro, but close.
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Frank is a legend.

And so is Scotty.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
On some dvd the performer is boring, so Scotty, Frank and some others spectators save the show !
There are dvd, I don't remember at all the performer or the trick he did but the funny spectators yes !
Bravo to them !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
There overdone reactions are pretty obvious but its probably there for the same effect as canned laughter in sitcoms.Studies show that even though people know its fake,they laugh more cause of the social proof.

Luke
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
Frank is definatly the best haha
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I love Frank too! He looks so friendly, I totally would get his autograph.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
I remember Jay Sankey asking one of the spectators "Are you retarded?" It was funny but I'm surprised that wasn't edited out.
Steve
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1112 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
I think that due the the nature of the video shoot, the audience feels that they are doing a "favor" by over-reacting, and are probably encouraged to do so...since they are normal people and not actors, sometimes it doesn't seem very genuine.

I remember Max Maven on one of his videos asking the L&L audience not to do this...and to only give him a "real" reaction, and only if he's earned it.

Frank is awesome! Without a doubt the only "super star" audience member ever!!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of mayniac
David's hilarious too! He always seems like an angry child that slowly opens up.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
The early ETM tapes had models for assistants. As they discovered, the models were so concerned about looking good that they did not react at all. Gary Oulette solved this problem by always hiring strippers. they look good but aren't so uptight about making sure they have a great new piece for their promo kit.

The ETM money tapes were shot on site at a resort in Tahoe. The audience consisted of people acquired at the venue as well as friends of Louis.

Eventually, (according to someone who has been with Louis from the beginning) Louis decided to advertise for his audiences. he put out adds in the paper and when people showed up for consideration, he would perform for them. Those that reacted the most strongly were invited to the tapings. Those who didn't, weren't.

So, L and L created a feedback loop of reactive audience members.

while some accuse them of paying for reactions, I do not believe that has ever been true. It is simply that the audience was carefully culled, and of course, that dynamic feeds on itself. I am sure it is no secret to those who want to attend (and eat, as I understand it) that being reactive is a positive trait for the audience and retention process.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
So that's how it's done. Too bad I can't use the culing process for my audiences.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L&L Publishing, Banachek, Richard Osterlind, etc. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL