The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » E-book help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Sorry guys,
can someone give me information on how to create an ebook? I don't have any clue! thx
kiki
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
I mean ebook-pdf document!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Write it up in a word doc and transfer it to PDF format.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1432 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
CutePDF Writer is free and will convert a doc file into a PDF directly from Word.

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

Mike
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Quote:
On 2010-10-09 17:14, Cameron Francis wrote:
Write it up in a word doc and transfer it to PDF format.

ok, I know, but I thought you need some kind of special program to create an ebook to publish it!
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1432 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-10-09 17:25, KiKi wrote:

ok, I know, but I thought you need some kind of special program to create an ebook to publish it!

No, an eBook is just a PDF file (or other format).

Mike
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Ok, thanx!
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1519 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Over at Chris's Place http://www.lybrary.com/ there is a book in the free section called Self-Publishing by Tom Stone. That may be a good place to start as it will give you a bunch of useful information.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
You could do a lot more in In-Design if you have it.
So many of the e-books done in word look just like that.

If you know anyone who has a design background, talk to them. They'll give you a much more professional look.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Very true. But you have to be careful because sometimes people go overboard on the design making the ebook difficult to read.

I like to keep the formatting of my ebooks simple and readable. It's more important to me to have my ebooks comprehendable rather than making them look "cool". Although I usually get James Howells to design a nice cover fore me. He does very good work.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1432 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-10-09 19:31, motown wrote:

So many of the e-books done in word look just like that.

CutePDF Writer will also work with Microsoft Publisher - you can do more sophisticated stuff with that.

Mike
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Quote:
On 2010-10-09 23:00, Cameron Francis wrote:
Very true. But you have to be careful because sometimes people go overboard on the design making the ebook difficult to read.

I like to keep the formatting of my ebooks simple and readable. It's more important to me to have my ebooks comprehendable rather than making them look "cool". Although I usually get James Howells to design a nice cover fore me. He does very good work.

I second that. I also get James Howells to design my covers and he is excellent at doing them, and also is a really nice guy.

Kyle
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Thanx so far!
kiki
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
On a Mac - open any format document - press 'print' - select 'convert to pdf' - done.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Cameron,

there's nothing wrong with good design. It's something we should always strive for. The same way we strive to make our magic the best it can be. It doesn't take any more effort to design something well as it does to do it poorly.

How well your copy reads has to do with selecting the right font, point size and then setting the type Itself correctly.

Having the right tools helps us to do our best work.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Oh, of course. I'm not saying that good design isn't something we should all strive for. I'm just saying that I've seen some PDFs which go a little overboard on it; funky backgrounds which make the text hard to read, a lot of distracting stuff in the margins, that kind of thing. I'm just cautioning against that sort of over-design.

Ben Harris, a designer himself, creates very nice. readable ebooks. Clean and simple. I like them a lot.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I gotta go with Cameron on this one.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Of course Cameron, it's all about the person who's designing the E-book and their understanding of of good graphic design princeples. Which includes both copy and art.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Some really well done E-books to check out are Tom Stones.
– Karl Germain
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Yes, very good!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » E-book help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL