The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need to vanish a puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Hello,

Can anyone suggest a few ways to vanish a hand puppet at the end of a vent routine during my library shows? It's a soft puppet, not full bodied, just a bulky head. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a livestock prop that I won't be using for anything else, so I'm lookng for ideas. Any thoughts?
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
What is he doing before the vanish? What's the reason for the vanish?
You could do an Asrah style vanish useing a cloth with a wire form of the puppet in it. So you cover the puppet as you lifyyje cloth it looks like you are lifting the puppet but you have secretly ditched him.
MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Colin,

Thanks for your reply. I think I may have found a couple of suitable options at Spellbinder's Magicnook.com site.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
While corresponding about the problem, I discovered a little house I used to use for vanishing my own hand puppet years ago. I cleaned up the notes and updated them for making the prop out of lightweight foamboard and it is now included in The Wizards' Journal #19 (on my site) as the "Vanishing Hand-Puppet House."

The main advantage of it is that the puppet goes in and out of the house, exploring, waving from the windows, etc. Most vanish props require that you remove your hand from the puppet prior to vanishing it, but in this prop, the hand is removed while the puppet is still inside the house, so the audience doesn't see the puppet become "lifeless". In fact, with a variety of gimmicks, the puppet still waves from the window, pulls a handkerchief into the house and otherwise proves it is still "alive" and active right up to the moment the vanish takes place.

The vanish happens up close to the audience, away from all tables and props, while you and the puppet are still interacting. That's because the house has a little carrying handle on top so you can carry it right out to them. Then, when the doors fall open, you candismantle the house and hand the partsto various audience members while you (and they) search for the "missing" puppet.

To keep the kids from worrying about the puppet after it vanishes, I suggest bringing it out with you for a "curtain call" at the end of your show.

Since you build the prop yourself, you can make it as large or as small as you require for the puppet you are vanishing.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2123 Posts

Profile of axtell
You can easily vanish and appear a hand puppet in our Green Machine square circle. The added spinner on the front of ours allows for "transformations" which can add to the storytelling process.... http://www.axtell.com/gm.html

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need to vanish a puppet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL