The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Bigger is Better by Mark Verge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What are your reviews about the DVD Bigger is Better by Mark Verge?
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I just quickly looked at sections of the DVD to refresh my memory on this. There are some decent items on it. Of course you wouldn’t do these items in most situations but as a decor piece maybe. I personally prefer the new DVD put out by Debbie Stevens.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would only make one for the birthday child by giving it to his/her to the parents. I would make the one with less balloons.

I will check out the new DVD put out by Debbie Stevens since you mentioned it.

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 5:11am
Is there a difference when choosing between a single or double compressor when used to blow up a 646 balloon? Or do they both blow it up the same speed?
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Hey Dynamike,

If it is for a birthday party I would suggest you look a little smaller unless you are selling the sculpture as an add on. Debbie's stuff will probably take an hour (I haven’t made one yet) and Marks are also very large. Have you looked at Don Caldwell's Mad Hats 1 & 2? There are couple amazing sculptures on there that I make for the birthday children.

The other children usually get designs that were inspired by Mark's awesome bad to the balloon series

I use the single compressor Majilooon to blow up the 646’s I use for Ken Stillman's princess design.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Thanks Ryan....

Mark Verge's stuff is in awesome.

Logistically this where I question .... Why?

For decor it is great. But making a giant gorilla and handing it to a kid half it's size is begging for it to get popped.

This is also my philosophy with things handed to kids. That is why I make hats. Less chance of popping. Not to say this doesn't back fire on me occasionally.

Working a sports bar last Sunday, mostly adults making team hats. A 20-ish girl asked for Atlanta Braves Tomhawk. Did it; loved it; tipped $6. Later about an hour or so, I hear it pop couple of tables from me. I was engaged with others before I could get over to her and she left.

Then I get a voicemail message from this girl B###hing about the balloon popping.

She was outside with it, was not wearing at the time of popping, and smoking!!! But in her message she thinks I need better quality balloons!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
As much as I like both DVDs, trust me, if you want something for a special party piece, Mark's DVD is the way to go. Debbie's is all very large, and I love the disc for what it makes.

Mark's Bigger is Better is not all made up of super large pieces. It has more for a giveaway.

The penguin is pretty fast for a party situation. You could also do the fish or the sea turtle.

I made most of that DVD for a float, and really when I got done, the pieces were small for a float, but up close were a lot of bang for the buck, using very few balloons.

If you're talking special party balloon and want easy and large, it can definitely fit your bill.
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I have Mark's DVD. I have made the fish a couple of times in a restaurant situation when I had a bit of time, and it seemed like the right thing to do. You can see it here on my website: http://www.bigwindballoons.com/Big%20Stuff%20Portfolio.html . I have also made the Dragon as a special balloon for a birthday except I made it holding a birthday cake. I haven't seen Debbie's DVD, but I saw her big stuff at a convention, I agree with the good Rev. Unless you are planning on using Debbie's stuff for Decor, Mark's material is more practical for birthday parties and similar events. Debbie's material is awesome for the right venue, which would lean more towards the decor side of things.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am not interested in a giant decor. Mark's fit my style.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I still feel that you will get more bang for your buck with mad hats volume 1. Bigger is better may have one or two peices that you can use at a birthday where as Mad Hats has a stong handfull. I use 3 or 4 of the designs on this DVD at almost every birthday.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Hey Ryan what did you find the most useful on the new Debbie Stevens DVD?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I am yet to make anything on Debbie's DVD but I will be making at least the Giraffe for an up coming photo shoot for the new website. I am starting to get more requests for larger stuff. At this point I'm not sure if I really want to go after the decorating side. But if someone wants to order a large piece then at least I will have a couple pictures and options.

I have sold a couple of princesses (Stillman design) as a add on to my regular birthday parties.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 18:27, revlovejoy wrote:
The penguin is pretty fast for a party situation. You could also do the fish or the sea turtle.

I got my DVD today. Those are the ones I like best on the DVD so I can it for the birthday child before I leave.

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 7:31am
I also ordered volumes 1 and 2 of Size Matters. I like the dog on the front cover.
MT
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of MT
Where can I buy Debbie Stevens DVDs?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Here is one spot:
http://www.brodys8004balloons.com/646_An......d008.htm

Another one of her DVDs are almost half way down the page:
http://www.larocks.com/newstuff/12-01-07.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Bigger is Better by Mark Verge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL