The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » No Wonder I Went Into Comedy! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I often joke that my comedy is starting to carry over into my "real life". Here's an example of the day I had, which had caused me to chuckle.

My car broke down recently so I'm currently driving a two seater sports car. Fun to drive but definately not handy for carrying props and cases. I should mention it has no trunk either as the engine is in the back, rad in the front.

I had a afternoon theater show in another municipality aprox 1 and 1/2 hrs from my home. I perform regularly for this theater and often enjoy the ride out in the countryside which brings me to my story. I also have an Old English Sheepdog...you know the kind? All greyish white hair and a big black nose. Turned out there was a wonderful groomer that lives out in the country side and decided to save time, I had planned on dropping off my dog and continuing on with the theater show. I made plans to either rent or borrow a vehicle for that day. As luck would have it...I misplaced my wallet for a day so had cancelled my cc's..(only to find it the next day ..but too late would have to wait for the new ones in the mail) So I couldn't rent a car..no matter my sister promised to drive me. Unfortunately, that morning ,her car was having problems and she couldn't drive me. Yikes! I had to drive the sports car!

Took a bit of rearranging my stuff...could no longer bring my big case as would be impossible to fit both dog and case into the car. Ha ha! Instead I just packed smaller cases and had things around me...behind me..pretty cramped. I'm sure it was a site to see...me, my dog ..our hair blowing in the wind...and luckily I have a sunroof.

Dog gets dropped off I continue on to the theater. Took several trips back and forth to the car..normally I just bring everything in a big case and perhaps make one trip. Should also mention I had stepped on a wasp so I was limping..(I'm thinking my karma for the week was definately off balance)

I realize I have one more prop to bring in...where'd I put my car keys? NOOOOOO!
My car door is locked and somehow I've mispaced my keys. Show is starting in 1/2. I know I can do it without that prop and decide not to let things bother me. In fact, when I walked through the curtains at show time..my limp was gone..locked keys in the car problem dissapeared...I was "on" I'm thinking it must have been the adreneline, as inexplicably I recieve a standing ovation at the end of the show! Hey I can handle anything now...this is a wonderful day!

I call the automobile association, I go to retrieve my dog...stop at the bank to withdraw 100 dollars..the bank machine spits out only 60!! People in the lineup say wow never seen that happen before..I tell them I'm "having one of those days" and figure ah well..not going to let it bug me. That too can be worked out later.

The groomer is still not finished...in total it takes 5 hours to finish the job as my dog is very aged and it needs to go slow. So I hang around her farmhouse and entertain her seven children and help with my dog. She also has 7 dogs on the property....I'm exhausted. Just arrived home shortly and decide ...it's been a wonderful day. Smile
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Fantastic story!

Life is all about perspective. And you've been blessed with a great one.

I did a show this morning for patients with Alzheimer's disease. One guy kept disrupting the show by yelling, "Bring on the corn beef and hash!" Everytime he said it people started laughing hysterically, and I would have to stop for a minute.

But it didn't bother me one bit. People having a good time is more important than my show.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Excellent outlook on things, Wolfgang. You're right.

And Chrystal, your mama said there'd be days like this.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, Chrystal! You made my day.

Ron Reid
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
Yeah...thanks for sharing Chrys :o)

Definitely made my day...twice in a row!

Kaj :o)
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-07-12 02:02, Chrystal wrote:
I often joke that my comedy is starting to carry over into my "real life".

That or your "real life" is carrying over into the comedy. Who cares, either way you have a perspective that I'm nurturing in myself since Murphy's Law just can't give it a rest.
The difference for me Chrystal is that although my show would of gone on....I would of been internally flustered to an unhealthy and unreasonable degree. Your story teaches me that no matter how much planning or professionalism is present, something may go wrong and it's up to you to exercise the right perspective. I'm aware of the possibility of things going wrong and have backup effects and routines. How you deal with the frustration (despite backups) is either a curse or a blessed art form.
Thanks for taking time to share that considering what a "wonderful" day you had. Smile

And thanks to Wolfgang above for sharing:

"Life is all about perspective. And you've been blessed with a great one."
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

Thanks everyone!

Wolfgang, I loved your story and you also seem to have a wonderful perspective on life.

Yuppers Marko, Mama told me there would be days like this. Smile (Didn't realize they'd be as many however)

Thanks to you Ron and Kaj,glad it made your day!
Smile

Randy,for me, I know if I didn't look at any situation with a bit of humor I'd otherwise go a bit zany. That little Murphey guy also seems to have a fondness for me and I can sympathize he doesn't give you a rest. Some things are within our control...like lost car keys but others are beyond our control. Take for example, the night my car was totaled on a quiet residential street. It wasn't speeding teens ..nope it was a little old lady whose large car ran into mine when she fell asleep at the wheel. There were lots of other cars ..but nope...happened to be mine. I just shrugged it off..sighed and brought her inside to comfort her. It's all about attitude ..sometimes we can't change a situation but we can change our attitudes towards how we are going to react. Smile

The attitude carries over to others..my neighbors were later amazed I didn't seem upset..well I was truthfully, but also grateful a child wasn't hit. It's all about perspective like you said. When I went to the insurance company he claimed.."this is so unusual for a car to be considered a writeoff when it was parked and hit". Ha ha! I told him that it was the third time this happened to me!! Different cities...different circumstances..even once my car was squished into smitherins in daylight parked at a meter in front of the police station on a one way street!!! (A drunk driver in a truck went down the one way street and ran right into my car parked at the meter) I returned to find 1/2 a car!!
So that little Murphey Guy likes me more than average I'm thinking.. Smile
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
You really think Harry has a crush on you?

Hmmmmmmmmm......

Kaj :ob
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Chrystal, you are definitly better than me. I blew out my brakes on a pothole on the way to a show and had to drive through rush hour traffic to finally get there using my emergency brake. When I finally got there, I was an hour late, I was so frazzled I forgot how to perform my cut & restored rope routine, tried to move to Professor's Nightmare, forgot how, then threw the rope away and blamed it all on the rabbit. Oh and then produced a noose that was supposed to be the rabbit's favorite trick. Smile
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Samuel,

Yikes I feel for you. At the same time, AFTER, that day was done you can chuckle about it. It seems that you are able to do that. Smile
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Quote:
I blew out my brakes on a pothole on the way to a show and had to drive through rush hour traffic to finally get there using my emergency brake.

Wow. How did you manage to keep from skidding out?! I wouldn't trust my car to go over about 5 miles an hour if I only had the emergency brake to stop me. Don't all 4 wheels lock up if you use the hand brake?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Only if you slam it to the ground Maestro. You have to be very gentle with it and vveerryy s..l..o..w on the pull. Oh, one more thing... PRAY like **** the you don't have to slam on your brakes cause IT AIN'T HAPPENIN'!

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » No Wonder I Went Into Comedy! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL