The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from the Great Smoky Mountains (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Greetings Yall!

My name is David and I hail from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee. I'm a great fan of magic in general and sleight of hand in particular.

As a kid I always wanted to be a magician. I bought my first (and only) wooden multiplying billiard ball set mail-order from the old Ireland Magic Co. of Chicago when I was about twelve years old. The set is now over fifty years old and in better shape than I am!

Foolishly, I put away my silks, cups and balls, and treasured copy of Hay's The Amateur Magicians Handbook many years ago as life carried my down paths not always of my own choosing.

Recently I surprised my grand-daughter and her friends with a brief magic show for her "wizard and fairies" theme birthday party. Their jaws dropped when sponge balls magically multiplied in their tightly closed fists, when I pulled silks out of thin air (and a thumb tip!), and the milk I just poured into the newspaper cone vanished.

I don't know if they were more surprised by these old effects (which were new to them) or by the fact that it was I, of all people, who was non-nonchalantly pulling it all off. (If only they knew how nervous I was!)

That was it.

I'M HOOKED AGAIN!

Ever since the party I've been diligently practicing with my billiard balls, fumbling through my card fans, and downloading the classic magic books I could never afford as a kid (Prof. Hoffman, Thomas Nelson Downs, etc) onto my Kindle, and I couldn't be happier.

Christmas is coming up and my wife has informed me that I'll be performing for family and friends at this years party. Gulp! I'll be needing all the help I can get from you guys.

I just discovered this forum and I must say it almost overwhelming. So many topic areas. I don't know where to begin. I would have given anything for a resource like this when I was a kid.

Anyway, if you are willing to let an errant brother back into the fold I'll be beholdin'. I promise, that I have never revealed how any effect works to anyone and never will, What do you say, can I come back?

I'll be working on my Charlier Pass as I await your reply.

Dave Case
"luckysizes"
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome and welcome back Dave.

We get a lot of folks returning to Magic here. You know what they say, "Love is lovelier the 2nd time around."

Best of luck on your Christmas show.

- Mary Mowder
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Welcome Sir....

Great to have you back. Smile

I think you get it from the start...

"Magic is not about doing tricks, it's about entertaining people."

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Touching story, we do see so many of the same or similar responses. As un-official greeter of the Café I welcome you with open arms back into the fold. I would be happy to offer any assistance I can. Although I am sure you could teach us all a little something. Sadly much of what you learned as a young Magician is disappearing from the world of magic. As new self working gimmicks corner the market right now.

In another section we are talking about this very subject. How the classics are so much more impactful then most of the self working gimmicks of today. Please come join us and share your story. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

Your friend in Magic,
- Jason Ring
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
Doug Thornton
View Profile
New user
New Jersey USA
11 Posts

Profile of Doug Thornton
Welcome!
www.sam161.org The David Copperfield Assembly, Scotch Plains, NJ
www.about.me/dougthornton
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from the Great Smoky Mountains (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL