We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic scam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I figured this might be a good place to tell about this, as you may be listed as a performer.
I wrote a book, "liars handbook" years ago, about scams and I just got this e-mail the other day. It had a lot of elements of truth to it. A reference to a booking agency and related to magic.
Quote:
"Message sent via http://www.OnStageRegister.com

Good day,
My name is james, I am preparing for my wedding which will come up on the 23rd of october 2010.. by 10:00am here in As I was searching for the best magician to make the day a memorable day for me and my wife and The venue address is 2222 Grand Canal Blvd Ste 1B, Stockton, CA 95207. I saw your advert and I am really impressed about your performance. and you are going to start by 12:00pm and end 1:00pm, How much will you collect if you are to entertain my guess with the travel expenses....i am having 50 guest.

Hope to read back from you.

Thanks

I wrote back that it would probably be too far for me to travel and I would contact some other magicians I know in his area.

He wrote back:
Quote:
Good to hear back from you....Well I am okay with any thing you do on that day to make it a memorable day for my guests....I will instruct my PA to issue out a cheque for your service and you are going to help me with something because my P.A cannot issued two cheque, I will instruct him to issue you a cheque of $3,700 and after deducting your money you will help me wire the remaining amount to a video grapher that will cover all the wedding day.

Let me have your full name and address where the cheque will be send to.

Regards.

I almost fell for this, but the check thing was the tip-off.
Plus, I never gave him a price. (Plus how did he know my fee plus expenses would be less than $3700).
The rule is: never accept a check like this.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Ian

This has been floating the magic community for a while now. Last time I saw it here on the Café was up in NYC I think.

There were one or two threads on it a few months back.

Cheers
Frank
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
This is just one of several threads on this scam... hope it helps:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=44&25
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I recently got the same email for a venue in Texas.
Zaubern Smile
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Scam?? I'm booked for this same dude's wedding in Naperville, IL on the 23rd for $3,500 plus travel and per-diem. Supposedly the check will be here on Monday.

Of course I know it's a scam, but I'm going to play with this guy and try to get HIS address and/or phone contact info to turn it over to the authorities. I can't imagine he'd be stupid enough to give me his real contact information...but that's not going to stop me from trying.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Sure go ahead mess with the guy who knows maybe its the Mafia working the scam

have fun
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1219 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I hope it's not the Mafia!! Just this week I got an email from that guy to do a show in North Carolina.....I told him some pretty choice things that I would not want to say to the mob....LOL
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
As much as I was skeptical about this, the e-mail had a grain of truth to it.
1) it had a very limited source reference, a magic listing company. That lent itself to credibility. Obviously I was targeted.
2) The address listed did exist.
3) Luckily, the venue (for me) was out of state, but if it had been closer it would have been a better deal.
3) the venue date was too close to the transaction of the checks.
4) The follow up letter, with the suggestion of the check was the real deal buster and bells went off.
5) This was obviously a reworded Nigerian scam. Craigslist scam deals work this way as well.

---------
If you cash the check, your route number will be received by the scammers bank and then to him. Or, the check will not clear for a while and then bounce. Because time if of the essence, you might feel compelled to send the wire before the check clears.
If you send a check, it will most likely be cashed, and/or replicated, and or additional checks made with your route number on it.
--------
The dumb thing was that the scammer assumed that the larger fee would have any room in it for another performer. In my case, considering the distance, $3000 or better was borderline money to do the show. I had last minute flight and room fees above my show price.

I truly hope no-one got involved in this deal.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I figure IF I get a check, I'll take it to a check cashing place.....IF they cash it, there would be no record of MY bank account and no recourse on me. Of course I can't imagine they would in fact cash it....but we'll see.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 19:12, LVMagicAL wrote:
I figure IF I get a check, I'll take it to a check cashing place.....IF they cash it, there would be no record of MY bank account and no recourse on me. Of course I can't imagine they would in fact cash it....but we'll see.

If you passed that check, which WILL bounce, you will have screwed the check store.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Back to the mob...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I got something similar to this 3 weeks ago. It started out as a phone call from a deaf person, done through an AT&T rep. I live close to New Orleans and the show was supposed to be a (memorable) show for his 16 year old son in Little Rock, Ark. I said it was too far for me and I was not interested.
2 days later my wife got a phone call from a deaf person. Again it was for their 16 year old son. This time it was supposed to be in Lafayette, La., which is still over 4 hours away from where I live. My wife finally got tired of communicating through an AT&T rep., and told the deaf person to E-mail me.
Sure enough they E-mailed them. I was still not interested and quoted what I thought to be a ridiculous price of $1500 for an one hour show. They said that was OK and would I take a credit card? Also, they said they would pay me more money so that I could also pay the DJ. I thought that to be real fishy. I told them I do not take credit cards but they could paypal me the money. I never heard from them after that.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-10-19 21:37, wizardpa wrote:
I got something similar to this 3 weeks ago. It started out as a phone call from a deaf person, done through an AT&T rep. I live close to New Orleans and the show was supposed to be a (memorable) show for his 16 year old son in Little Rock, Ark. I said it was too far for me and I was not interested.
2 days later my wife got a phone call from a deaf person. Again it was for their 16 year old son. This time it was supposed to be in Lafayette, La., which is still over 4 hours away from where I live. My wife finally got tired of communicating through an AT&T rep., and told the deaf person to E-mail me.
Sure enough they E-mailed them. I was still not interested and quoted what I thought to be a ridiculous price of $1500 for an one hour show. They said that was OK and would I take a credit card? Also, they said they would pay me more money so that I could also pay the DJ. I thought that to be real fishy. I told them I do not take credit cards but they could paypal me the money. I never heard from them after that.

That was a little more intricate than most. The deaf translation was really a delicate touch.
To all magi's, please list all of the scams you have received. It will be a good lesson. The knowledge of the world is not always passed on. A sucker is born every minute.
Has anyone followed though and gotten bit?

Send your scam e-mail to:
bigduck1.cafescam@blogger.com
It will be instantly archived.
on my site:
http://liarshandbook.blogspot.com/
also view: http://www.liars.ws
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
My best friend a german wine maker had a variation on this for 2 cases of champaign -- scams are world wide.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic scam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL