The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Max Maven Multiplicity dvd from LLPub (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 17:49, Steven Conner wrote:

It was the Brick that sold it imho.


I don't agree at all. This was a highly anticipated DVD. A lot of people knew about this release because it was leaked in an L&L catalog several years ago. In this thread and another one on The Genii forum, only one person mentions the brick prior to the purchase. In my opinion, it was the fact that Max has work on Equivoque that everyone was looking forward to and the added bonus that Eugene Burger was part of the project too. Maybe it was the brick that sold you, but that's a shame because you've missed out on so much more. I'm not saying you're wrong. It's your opinion, so I can respect that. Just don't assume that everyone bought this because of the brick routine.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2534 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Two projects that everyone wanted Max to work on was the Gilbreath Principle and Equivoque. I appreciate your views and agree there is much to be had within the DVD. The Brick was not what sold me as it led me to believe what I knew all along about Max and his mystick. As a working Pro, I have used many of Max's ideas. Magic has taken such a turn that while it is called (marketing), don't use just a performance to sell.

Best,
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Badger
View Profile
Veteran user
Ireland
384 Posts

Profile of Badger
After receiving this I feel like I was very mislead by the trailer because I specifically bought the DVD for the brick in bag effect because I had a specific use in mind for that particular effect. That effect alone was worth the $65 to me and I didn't get it.
Mentalist Sam
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Mentalist Sam
There's more discussion about the demo video with an explanation on The Genii Forum http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......st232371
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I don't understand why there were effects on the demo that did not make it to the DVD.

A demo of the product is used to sell it.

Steve over at Genii says that it was his decision as to what would appear on the demos. He mentioned two effects that are on the demo and not included on DVD.

Not good. that's my opinion
Magic is a vanishing art.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Ed,

I think you're misunderstanding the situation. Everything on the demo videos is on the DVD. The problem some are having is that one effect on the demo doesn't have an out that is explained. There is an out for it, in fact if you put some thought into it, there are several outs. Personally I feel that the demo is an accurate representation of the DVD, but that is my opinion. Others have their opinion and don't feel the same way. I think what was explained on The Genii Forum is a fair explanation of why the demos are the way they are.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
I think I love it! What a great idea and good on him!

Finally someone getting us to challenge the way we think and actually be a LITTLE bit creative. Yeah, maybe it shouldn't have been on the trailer, but come on, SO many ploys you could used as outs... hidden messages scattered around places, or even Canasta's technique for getting them to change their mind!

I haven't got this DVD yet, but I think I'm looking forward to it even more now knowing that Max doesn't have to waste 3 hours explaining each effect. He's giving us the tools to create our own and letting us decide where we take it.

Like I said, I'm even more excited about seeing this DVD now. I got to spend the tiniest amount of time with Eugene in Vegas too and the man is just wonderful!

Best wishes,
Colin Mcleod
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1282 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Max has never ever disappointed me. He is one of the very best teachers in mentalism.

I would not even mind if he would not explain one effect on his DVD and still buy it! To watch his presentation over and over again is the best learning experience I have ever had. His DVD ´A Fabulous Monster´ is one of the best DVD´s in mentalism… NO EXPLANATIONS and I have learned so much from it, not to copy his presentation but to learn from it and use it for my own style. I don´t have this DVD yet but I´m sure that if you study the DVD well, you can do the Brick effect and many many more…

Best,
John
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
First off, I would like to say that after one watch, the only thing I know for sure is that I'm going to have to watch this DVD a lot, and put in some practice, practice, and practice. This one is deep.

I too was very excited to see the possible outs for "Handout," and was initially disappointed. To be honest I skipped around the DVD searching for the explanation. After I was unable to locate the "Handout" explanation I bitterly settled in to watch Max and Eugene. My bitterness quickly faded as they presented me with a treasure trove of information. I soon realized, that like many great educators, Max provided all of the necessary information to explain "Handout," but we have to put the pieces together and discover it for ourselves. Think of it as a scaffolded lesson. Best of all, once one works out a solution, they are equipped with a powerful tool rather than one specific method.

After only one view, and no practice, I can't give an accurate review of the DVD. But, I am loving Multiplicity.

~ Nathan
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
It's important to make sure the headline doesn't get buried -- the headline being, this is a WONDERFUL DVD. I've said it, many others who were disappointed that Handout wasn't fully explained have said it as well.

This isn't a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" situation. Just because some of us have a small criticism of how the DVD was marketed doesn't mean the DVD is bad. I read L&L Steve's explanation on the Genii forum and accept it. It was a decision he made. I've bought many fantastic DVDs from L&L, so their professionalism isn't in question with me. An occasional decision, maybe, but hey, I question an occasional decision by my own wife, and I still love her!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 20:12, Domino Magic wrote:
Ed,

I think you're misunderstanding the situation. Everything on the demo videos is on the DVD. The problem some are having is that one effect on the demo doesn't have an out that is explained. There is an out for it, in fact if you put some thought into it, there are several outs. Personally I feel that the demo is an accurate representation of the DVD, but that is my opinion. Others have their opinion and don't feel the same way. I think what was explained on The Genii Forum is a fair explanation of why the demos are the way they are.


No, there is no out. You need to watch the entire DVD. Max played a joke on us. Good one, Max. Smile

Robert
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
There isn't an out explained (hence the "controversy") and Max may have intended it as a joke, but there IS an out. Several in fact. It just takes a little thought to understand the possibilities. And that is the best part of this because those who do put in some work with this will have something unique to them. Your presentation will not resemble Max's.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 21:08, Robert M wrote:

No, there is no out.


And just to emphasize my point that there is an out if you put a few moments of thought into it, here is just one example: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6811136
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
It's all there. You just need to think about it.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Man, I want this dvd. I don't mind at all that the explanation of handout wasn't on the dvd. After all, it's a dvd about equivoque and multiple outs so... what's there to explain. I'm sure I could work out my own presentation. Plus, I would never do personally do the effect so it doesn't matter to me. Smile

BTW, I don't think Handout was a joke. Why would he talk about the power of 50/50 and then proceed to do an effect which couldn't be done. Of course it can be done! it would have underminded the whole project if it was a "gag".
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 21:33, Domino Magic wrote:
There isn't an out explained (hence the "controversy") and Max may have intended it as a joke, but there IS an out. Several in fact. It just takes a little thought to understand the possibilities. And that is the best part of this because those who do put in some work with this will have something unique to them. Your presentation will not resemble Max's.


To me, the difference is that, if a Max teaches his routine on DVD then all purchasers of that DVD have his permission to perform it. But if you watch Max do a "performance only" of a routine and then work out a method - that wouldn't normally give you the right to perform the effect yourself.
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
If someone buys a product on the basis of what is shown as an advertisement for the DVD and this effect is not explained in the video, I find it hard to see that this should not be misleading advertising. I think the production company should have shown a different effect in the advertising.

Anyway, it's probably a good dvd overall and I am looking forward to buy it myself.
Mentalist Sam
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Mentalist Sam
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 05:17, voh002 wrote:
If someone buys a product on the basis of what is shown as an advertisement for the DVD and this effect is not explained in the video, I find it hard to see that this should not be misleading advertising.


You're trying to make a very broad statement with your post, one that assumes everyone bought this DVD because of the brick routine. I didn't. That's not the type of routine I would ever perform and really bought it for every other reason EXCEPT that routine. So for me and based on the comments I've seen in this thread, it was hardly misleading advertising. There is an explanation for the brick by the way, it's just not what you're expecting.

I bought this DVD so that I could finally master this technique which I've been avoiding over the past 25 years. This DVD was refreshing compared to so many products that come out on the market lately that only work if you stick with the supplied script. Max shows you how to use a set of tools and it's up to you as to how you want to use them.

Quote:
On 2010-11-07 04:56, Caliban wrote:

To me, the difference is that, if a Max teaches his routine on DVD then all purchasers of that DVD have his permission to perform it. But if you watch Max do a "performance only" of a routine and then work out a method - that wouldn't normally give you the right to perform the effect yourself.


That's not the case on this DVD because there are many performance only routines. And again, as has been stated several times, there is an explanation for the brick or rather the question is answered 'what is the out if the person picks the bag with the brick'. Someone stated on another forum and I believe this to be correct, the explanation given was true for that performance and given another set of circumstances Max's presentation would be different.
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
The "preview" did not "preview" what was taught on the DVD--a DVD that is being marketed and sold as an instructional DVD, not a performance DVD.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
But isn't the DVD all about equivoke and multiple outs? I guarantee the method is equivoke or multiple outs Smile .
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Max Maven Multiplicity dvd from LLPub (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL