The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Max Maven Multiplicity dvd from LLPub (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 08:09, Exitmat wrote:
The "preview" did not "preview" what was taught on the DVD--a DVD that is being marketed and sold as an instructional DVD, not a performance DVD.

Sure it was. It was explained. You just don't like the explanation. There is more than enough information taught on the DVD to do the brick routine.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
This " Brick Trick" topic is incredible funny.

I don't have the DVD yet, but I KNOW that Mr. Maven did that on propuse.
E$·"%·"voque is a flexible technique... and I KNOW that Mr. Maven gives the proper ideas to came up with your own solution for the "Brick Trick" .

Just read between lines and you will get it. Is all in the attitude and in the words.

If you believe, they will believe.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 16:28, Mr. Mindbender wrote:

Thinking through the possible justification for this, I'd say that only performing the first effect and not explaining it demonstrates that a simple 50/50 proposition, presented correctly, can indeed make a strong impact. We who are upset that the effect is not explained are proof of that!

That said, it's still a terrific DVD. A wonderful value.

That's the best way to look at it. The "brick effect" can be accomplished...there is a little more to it than what you see...and equivoque is NOT the method!

The "explanation" that Max does offer is priceless...and Eugene's reaction is great! I don't think I've ever laughed that hard watching an instructional DVD!

The DVD is full of great ideas and is a wise investment for anyone interested in the topics covered.
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
[quote]On 2010-11-07 08:05, Mentalist Sam wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 05:17, voh002 wrote:
If someone buys a product on the basis of what is shown as an advertisement for the DVD and this effect is not explained in the video, I find it hard to see that this should not be misleading advertising.

You're trying to make a very broad statement with your post, one that assumes everyone bought this DVD because of the brick routine. [quote]On 2010-11-07 04:56, Caliban wrote:

I didn´t say everybody, I said somebody. I see that one can read between the lines what the solution to the brick trick is. It is also said that Max Maven didn´t add the explanation for this effect on purpose. I must just say that it's a bad strategy, no matter how one looks at it. Negativity around a product is negative advertising. It should have been a lot of positive reviews, but now people are irritated and there is a negative focus, on a probably great product.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Re: Handout. The Brick and Feather Routine.
The Explanation (Unauthorized)

"Now Eugene, before the cameras roll, let me explain. I've got two festive bags here. The one on your left contains something that could do you some serious damage and cripple your hand forever. Actually, it's a brick.

So, do pick the one on the right and we can both continue our careers in good health. At the same time, imagine the confusion amongst mentalists watching this, as they search in vain for an explanation that doesn't exist. Mentalism is such fun".

"Max, you're a very clever man"

"I know Eugene, I know. So let's get on with shooting this shall we? I have really more important things to do".

------------------

In some well appointed apartment somewhere, I'm sure Max is sipping green tea, reading the DVD reviews and chuckling to himself, before returning to researching books on Kabuki Theatre.

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
What I think happened was that Max decided to pull a prank on his dear friend, Eugene.

The way Max worded the presentation, it could not be equivoque - there was no out. "The bag you select is the one we will use. I will unclip the bag and dump the contents on your hand." Or words to that effect.

So, at the end of the shoot, Eugene asked about the out for the "brick trick". And, Max said, "There was no out" and walked away. The look on Eugene's face is priceless. After a minute or two he begins to laugh and that's the end of the DVD. I do not think Eugene was in on it.

Granted, using "Handout" as the promo for the DVD was a mistake. But, I don't think anyone was consciously trying to mislead or trick people into buying the DVD. That may be what happened, but I don't think it was intentional.

JMHO,
Robert
Cris Johnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Niagara Falls, NY
248 Posts

Profile of Cris Johnson
Robert,

I too thought the reaction of Eugene was PRICELESS. I too have worked out methods of doing it without Max's explanations. I still feel it was a bit misleading using that effect to sell the DVD. That said, it's still an awesome DVD and worth every penny. I've met both Eugene and Max (Mox on multiple occasions) and they are the BEST instructors in magic bar none.

Off topic, anyone else laugh HYSTERICALLY at the "editing gag" Max had on Nothing? I thought it was great and emailed him specifically on that.

Cris
Cris Johnson, BCH, CI, CT.NLP

www.ProfessionalMagicProducts.com
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Max & Eugene work so well together. It was obvious (to me anyway) that Eugene's reactions were genuine and not an act. He was surprised with the brick and was genuinely amazed by some of the presentations.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2237 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Well I believe if you watch how he holds the bags you may have some hint as to how it is done. I have performed an identical effect using a good size rock. You will never get hurt on either bag chosen.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Has anyone found the Easter Eggs that have been hidden within the DVD? I think that too may reveal some info on the Brick & Feather.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2237 Posts

One hint. There are several items that can damage a hand ONE is a brick (or rock like I use). that's all I will say. I know you can figure this out. BTW keep your thinking simple on this. Listen to what Max says at the beginning. One of the themes of our exploration is "simplicity". Max says in his intro of Eugene that we as magicians take basic ideas and throw them away but Eugene takes the throw away items and makes them into something that is really good. This is the solution to this. In this case simplicity is the answer.

Good magic to all,

Eric
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
694 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
I also believe you could achieve that effect with Andrew Mayne's Freefall principle.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
Why couldn't you set both bags up identically (have a brick in the bottom of each bag with a feather resting on top of each).

After the first bag is chosen squeeze the brick through the bag while inverted so just the feather drops out. Remove the bag from the table, partially crumble it if you want to.

Bag 2, you reach in and palm/steal the feather or double stick tape it to the inside of the bag while reaching in to "open it up fully". Dump the brick out, feather stays in the bag.

Your Welcome
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 16:21, jsheas wrote:
Why couldn't you set both bags up identically (have a brick in the bottom of each bag with a feather resting on top of each).

After the first bag is chosen squeeze the brick through the bag while inverted so just the feather drops out. Remove the bag from the table, partially crumble it if you want to.

Bag 2, you reach in and palm/steal the feather or double stick tape it to the inside of the bag while reaching in to "open it up fully". Dump the brick out, feather stays in the bag.

Your Welcome

You could but I think if the bag with the brick is chosen it adds to the impact if the performer can fold up or crush the other bag, establishing there was ever only one brick.
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
Well then you can present it like someone mentioned in the DVD review section with a hundred dollar bill and 1 brick.

My point was with a little thinking you don't need Max Maven to show you his out, if there even was one.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
There are obviously ways to do this effect using equivoque, but I don't think there was an "out" for the brick trick the way it was presented.

Max dropped the bag that was chosen on the floor, and it appeared to be as light as a, well... feather. I don't think there was a brick in it.

Eugene's reactions on the demo were classic. I could be wrong, but I don't think he was in on it at that point.

I think Max deserved to have a bit of fun with Eugene and us after 3 hours of demonstrations and explanations. I think every magician - beginner or pro will benefit from watching this DVD.

Maybe it shouldn't have been the promo for an expensive DVD like this, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't Max's decision.

Just my theory...

Robert
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I like what you're saying, Robert. I've watched it several times and I just don't see where the " out" could be. And there was no brick in the chosen bag (unless it was a sponge type). This feels like a joke on all of us.
I'm still waiting for the DVD to arrive and I'm sure it will be worth the investment. So for now I'm going to see this as a joke.
But I suspect, late at night, I'll still wonder and wonder.
viler
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
183 Posts

Profile of viler
Or maybe Max held the brick in a "brick palm" and loaded it into the bottomless bag before turning it over and dropping it on the table...
MikeTheRed
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MikeTheRed
The solution to this whole issue is simple. To paraphrase The Matrix, "There is no [brick]."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzm8kTIj_0M

Seriously, a fantastic learning dvd that will benefit all mentalists and magicians.

Mike
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2237 Posts

Look at the video and notice what you DID NOT see.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Max Maven Multiplicity dvd from LLPub (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL