The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Humorous Ways to Get Adults to Help on Stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I mainly perform for children and mixed audiences where children are usually present. I still get several adult shows where no kids are present and at times it seems like I'm waiting for an eternity trying to coax someone from the audience.
I have had some success with the throwing of a rope into the audience or a rubber brick, but I'm sure there are dozens of techniques of getting helpers to the stage. Any suggestions out there? I have seen a performer give out a bowling pin to someone and say, You're blocking the person behind you...could you move to the aisle...the people at the back of the room can't see..could you come to the bottom of the stage etc.
Darryl the Impatient Wizard Smile Smile Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
If you're doing a short show (or towards the end of the show), give your intended victim (oops, I mean helper) something to hold on to (like a silk, or something ungimicked) that you will use with the helper when you get them up.

Ask them to remain in their seats but to hold the item high up in the air. Refer to this in the next 5-10 minutes (not too long) each time reminding the person to hold it high in the air.

Then ask for someone to help you.

Look directly at the person holding your item and say, "Hey, you've got your hand up" and the "helper" (hopefully) comes up.

It might not sound like much here but it gets a really BIG laugh Smile when you use the gag. Plus, it puts the helper in a mood to come up on stage.

Smile
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Malini,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try!
Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
How about starting the effect by saying that you had a dream last night, and in the dream you walked into the audience, and asked a lady what her name was.

Follow these directions, and ask someone what her name is. When she replies, say, "That was her name in the dream..." Proceed.

:sun:
Andy-roo
View Profile
New user
UK
5 Posts

Profile of Andy-roo
Once saw a good idea which involved the magician producing a piece of rope (approx 30cm long) from his pocket. He threw it into the audience and asked the person who caught it to examine it thoroughly and then put it into their pocket.

The magician then said, "So, is there any way whatsoever that I could get at the rope which is now in your pocket?". The specatator of course answers "No", to which the magician said, "Thank God, I've being trying to get rid of that darn piece of rope for weeks", and carried on straight into his act.

A seemingly throw-away joke, but...

A little later, having done a couple of effects, the magician said, "I now need a volunteer from the audience...[Pause]...preferably someone with a 30cm piece of rope in their pocket!".

It worked...the guy was straight up on stage and laughing about it too!!

Regards
Andrew
"The cards you hold in the game of life mean very little- it's the way you play them that counts."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Gregory Wilson got some nice mileage (card stunts video) by asking an audience particiapant to shuffle a deck of cards. Then he asked if they were well shuffled, and the audience member shuffled them again almost spontaneously, that gave Gregory a chance for a joke line "I just asked if they were shuffled, I didn't say do it again..."

He asked again, and when the spectator said she was comfortable that the deck had really been shuffled. He then said, "Ok that deck is completely shuffled!" He took the deck and set it aside, and said "So, I will use THIS deck and he produced another deck to a nice round of laughter.

Using something like this, you get the spec on stage to shuffle, go thru the byplay and then use that spec in another effect that had nothing to do with the shuffled deck. It wouldn't even have to be a card effect, if you transition it to rope, silk, etc.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
magicmondo
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX (English by birth)
28 Posts

Profile of magicmondo
This always works for me - I casually stroll into the audience and raise the arm of a spec, instructing him/her to keep it there.

Once back on stage, I call for a volunteer - "Oh, you look eager" to the person with their arm already raised - It is usually my biggest laugh - which of course is sad, but a laugh is a laugh.
Experience the Magic of Mondo

Visit me at www.magicmondo.com

"If there was no such thing as magic, I would look pretty foolish standing up here"
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Walk off of the stage and into the audience. Talking the whole time about blah blah blah. Walk up to an adult and say,

"Have you ever noticed when someone pays attention to you, they want something?"

This works for me but I generally put the most attention on picking the right person for the routine.

If it is a woman, go for the biggest nervous smile. If she smiles too comfortably, she will ham it up. If you pick a lady that doesn't smile, the routine will be uneventful. Look for the one that is smiling when you're not looking. Smile
It's the woman that is trying not to smile, but just can't help it.

For a man, I try to pick the biggest guy. Normally everyone knows them and because of their size they have the confidence to ham it up a little.

Funny!! Women tend to be more disrupting to a routine, if ya get the wrong one. Men either don't give enough or give the right amount. Ok, there is the occasional drunk.

With children it seems to be the opposite. Girls are more predictable than boys.

Just from my experience.

Sillily, Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
SergeK
View Profile
New user
Michigan
8 Posts

Profile of SergeK
Offer money.
The Detroit String Quartet played Brahms last night. Brahms lost. (Bennett Cerf)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The Village Idiots write: "Women tend to be more disrupting to a routine, if ya get the wrong one. Men either don't give enough or give the right amount. Ok, there is the occasional drunk.
With children it seems to be the opposite."

Yes, I've always found the occasional drunk child to be a bit of a problem, too.
Smile
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
A local performer does this... "I'd like to bring on stage someone very talented... He's been in the area for a while, and is a little new to stage. Please give this guy a round of applause." (point to victim)
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
The Amazing Jonathan performed in a special on Comedy Central in which he simply bent down, looked straight at his intended victi- I mean assistant- and asked for a volunteer from the audience while never taking his eyes off the one he was looking at. Blatant, but extremely effective.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Quote:
On 2002-10-18 07:08, Peter Marucci wrote:

Yes, I've always found the occasional drunk child to be a bit of a problem, too.

It's very true - they're a nightmare!

Having said that, the biggest problem I have is performing for kids at parties who have just taken on board enough sugar, preservatives and colourings to kill an elephant. Hyperactivity is a tough one to cope with.

To get an adult up, I often throw a juggling ball into the crowd and ask the catcher to bring it up to me.

ML
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
Go into your audience as if you wanted to shake people's hands before you leave the stage, shake a few hands but when you find your mark, don't let go of his or her hand. Just drag them onstage, shaking all the way. I got this from a book on clowning.

Just thought of this line.
Before you go onstage talk with some of your audience members, ask one of them to hold onto a small fake spinal column for you.
Then, when you need the volunteer...
"For my next trick, I'm going to need a volunteer, preferably someone with a little backbone."
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Credit for this goes to Mac King-

"Does anybody have a watch? You sir, what time is it? (he tells you)..oh no we are a few minutes early...please raise your right hand...(he does that) yes you may come up to volunteer!

This is a great way to get an adult up there. JS Magic
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Several of the posts here jokingly (I hope!) refer to the volunteer as the "victim".

That may be part (or all) of the problem!

Did anyone ever think of just politely asking someone to come up on stage?

I've been doing just that for years and have never had a refusal.

They MUST understand that they can trust you.

Remember: Treat a volunteer as you would treat a guest in your home!
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I'm sure it's happened Peter, but is simply asking someone to come up on stage humorous?
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Probably not.
But the original post didn't ask for a
"humorous" way of doing it, just a "way" of doing it.

The trouble with a lot of these threads is that they can take on a life of their own and drift entirely away from the original question.

All I was doing was trying to stay on track!
Gr8neSS
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
53 Posts

Profile of Gr8neSS
I don't want to seem rude, but actually the title of the post is "Humorous ways to get adults to help on stage"...it doesn't say that in the post itself, but it is implied.
I agree that many times threads take on a life of their own...and if you read the later posts, often it's a completely different subject.

Brandon Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Lordy, now we're supposed to GUESS at what the posts really mean!
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Humorous Ways to Get Adults to Help on Stage (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL