The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Help With Paper to Dollar Bills Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
There is an effect (easy to do) in which four or five pieces of paper in the shape of dollar bills (many people uses store coupons instead of blank pieces of paper) are folded in half, tapped and then opened revealing that they have turned into real dollar bills. The effect I am thinking of is the poor man's version - not the fancy version that was marketed as "Slow Burn" by the creator of "Fiber Optics."

I know the workings of the effect and would like to build it, but do not know how to offset one part of the "special section" from the other. Can the effect be found somewhere in a publication? I want to make the trick, but I want to do it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi Peter. It sounds like you're after Pat Page's Easy Money. Most dealers should have it or be able to get hold of it for you. jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Really, Many people?

I thought it was original when I posted it a while back.

- Mary Mowder
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Mary,

It depends on how long ago you posted your post.

The earliest someone (the late Steve Yowe) showed it to me using coupons was back in the Fall of 2002.

So, if you were doing the effect with coupons before then, it may very well be your original idea.

I had no idea who originated it.

Jim, thanks for answering my question and pointing me in the right direction.

Peter Cuddihy
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
DOH!

That predates my post. I wasn't on the Café then.

Oh well, I still like the idea and it plays very well.

- Mary Mowder
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The effect is in Bill Severn's Complete Book of Magic, and his Magic w/Coins & Bills, under the name Traveling Millionaire.

But the issue of construction, may not be addressed, but require some trial and error on your part
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pat Page's Easy Money was improved with a very slight change in the fold by Fred Kaps, who did it with paper pieces clipped from a magazine. If that version was good enough for Kaps, it's good enough for me. Frankly, I think all the newer versions are primarily made for magician vs. magician.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I use Easy Money regularly for Parlor size and larger performance and it is great. It is clean enough from any distance and allows for showing both sides in a very fair fashion. Coupons to Cash gets a good reaction in this economy (from Kids and Adults).

I have tried one of the newer models and It was not as practical to make or use. I like that Easy Money "plays up" at chest height.

- Mary Mowder
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
In my opinion, "Extreme Burn" takes this effect to a new level It's not about impressing magicians, it's about a foolproof, super visual way to do the effect. I have performed it many hundreds of times for laymen, and it is bullet proof.

I can't argue that Fred Kaps' version of "Easy Money" is great. I was doing "Easy Money" many years ago,and it is great.

I'm just saying that as time has gone by, some artists have come up with improved handlings of the effect that Patrick Page created and they are more visual and easier to perform.

Though I didn't know him, I think Fred Kaps might agree.

Cheers!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fred may well have like the newer methods... but it was his reason and presentation that made so much sense.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Great point, Pete.

I would have loved to be exposed to his thinking. I never got to see him perform this. It would have been great.
I bet it was a real learning experience!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Thank you all for weighing in on this.

I appreciate all of your thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Peter Cuddihy
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Basically Fred brought out bits of bill-sized pieces of paper and casually showed them on both sides, saying something like, "With all the thieves and pickpockets in Europe I don't like to show my money, so I bring these out... and when I want to buy something, I change them into whatever money I need." As he said that the paper bits became real currency. It was his charming way of speaking and casual handling that worked so well.
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
I did an internet search for Patrick Page and was sad to learn that he passed away in London on February 15, 2010, at the age of 81.

Fortunately, he included the effect "Easy Money" in his DVD
"Secret Seminars of Magic" Volume 4 which a number of dealers carry for only
$12.50. So, now I know where I can locate both the effect and Mr. Page's handling of it.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help.

Peter Cuddihy
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't know if Pat include the Kaps "DIFFERENCE" IN THE FOLD on the DVD. If not, you just offset it 1/2 inch at the ends (makes it easier to do the needed move).

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 7:13pm
Test >bf< bold >bf<

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 7:15pm
Didn't work. How do I make a word or few words in bold face within a message?

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 7:19pm
I think I found out in the FAQ section. Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It also helps to curl the innermost bill ends outward from each other so they open to the right place easily.

- Mary Mowder
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Easy Money is also taught on one of Ammar's East to Master Money Miracles Dvds.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Thanks Motown.

I actually own all three Michael Ammar "Easy to Master Money Miracle" DVDs.

So, I'll check it out on the Ammar DVD first.

Peter Cuddihy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fun Inc. has come out with a DVD by John Lovick teaching Pat Pages Easy Money routine. I seen this video and it is better then the Pat Page DVD, as it is still kind of confusing to understand when Pat discribes it.
http://www.funinc.com/xcart/product.php?......0&page=1

Fred Kaps version is occasionally sold by Steven's Magic. It was discribed in an extra sheet in his lecture notes sold by Ken Brooke years ago. It is still available from Magic Inc. with the bills trick for $7.95, and a lot of other Kaps gems.
http://www.magicinc.net/kapslecturebook.aspx

If you want just the Fred Kaps Easy Money effect, it is also available from Magic Inc. for $9.95.
http://www.magicinc.net/easymoney.aspx
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Thank you very much for all of that information.

Peter Cuddihy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Help With Paper to Dollar Bills Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL