The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Mysterious Puzzle of The Missing Dollar Bill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1674 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Anyone seen this release from Nicholas Einhorn? The ad reads:

"A famous puzzle is brought to life with this simple-to-do and highly entertaining routine which seems to defy logic!

THE FAMOUS PUZZLE...
"Three diners finish their meal. The waiter says the check is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the waiter realizes the check should only be $25.

To rectify this, the waiter returns a dollar bill to each of the three diners and they give the final $2 to the waiter, as a tip for his honesty.

Now that each diner has been given $1 back, each has paid $9, taking the total paid to $27. Add to that the $2 tip they gave to the waiter and the total is $29.

If the guests originally paid $30, where did the missing dollar go?"

THE ROUTINE
After the above puzzle has been told the magician explains that maybe it would be easier to work out what happens to the final dollar if he uses real money as he tells the story.

That being said he clearly shows $30 and with actions to match the story, the money is re-counted and bizarrely a real one dollar bill is missing!

A final bill is added to once again total $30. The spectators confirm there are definitely $30. Once more the process is repeated and astonishingly the result is the same. A bill disappears!

A true mystery which seems unexplainable and one which they can retell and enjoy long after you have parted.

* IDEAL TO KEEP IN YOUR WALLET FOR THAT 'RIGHT MOMENT'
* 5-SECOND RESET"

Thanks!
Jerry
ahobgood
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ahobgood
I love a good math problem. took me a couple of reads before I could figure it out!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Is a routine based on a complicated math trick really going to play with modern kids who can't figure out how much change is due from a five without a calculator?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2491 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I think your being a little harsh on the " Kids". We are smarter than you think.

He performed this at the L.A.D.S convention and it went over very well. It really is a nice little routine
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3516 Posts

Profile of takeachance
[quote]On 2010-10-17 20:35, Alan Rorrison wrote:
I think your being a little harsh on the " Kids". We are smarter than you think.

Ha, LOL, I went to the supermarket the other day and my total came to $16.45. I gave the girl $21.45 so I'd get a $5 bill back and get rid of some change, WELL, that threw everything out because the till told her to give change for a 20. Everyone had to wait till I explained it to her. Much to the amusement of the 70 year old waiting behind me.
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
293 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
The last time I checked, 3 + 2 is 5, and 30-5 is 25, so all the money is accounted for...
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
If anyone's interested, here's a link to the described Nicholas Einhorn effect:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/c......ar-bill/

TED
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5391 Posts

Profile of RNK
[quote]On 2010-10-18 00:05, takeachance wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 20:35, Alan Rorrison wrote:

Ha, LOL, I went to the supermarket the other day and my total came to $16.45. I gave the girl $21.45 so I'd get a $5 bill back and get rid of some change, WELL, that threw everything out because the till told her to give change for a 20. Everyone had to wait till I explained it to her. Much to the amusement of the 70 year old waiting behind me.

LOL, That's funny takeachance- I always pay that way just to see what is going to happen- and..well.... sorry alan- takeachance is right- 99.9% of the time- I have to tell them how much change to give back. Kids today put to much time into electronics, that's not to say they are not smart- it's just that they are not trained properly.

RNK
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 20:35, Alan Rorrison wrote:

Not the ones I deal with. The other day I bought something for $6.77. I handed the kid a 10, two ones and two pennies. He looked at the register when the change came up exactly $5.25 in change, blinked, and then asked in amazement "How'd you do that?"

I can't tell you how many times I've repeated that scene or similar ones.

Its not stupidity. Its ignorance, which is something completely different. You can't learn to do math if they don't make you *do* math. Kids stopped learning to do basic math the day they let calculators into what is (now laughingly) called math class. (There are exceptions but they are rare.)
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3516 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Yeah true, but they make up for it in other ways. My 3 year old grandaughter can navigate an i-phone and it's apps a hell of a lot better and faster than me LOL!
I think this will make us old timers look smarter!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-19 11:02, takeachance wrote:
Yeah true, but they make up for it in other ways. My 3 year old grandaughter can navigate an i-phone and it's apps a hell of a lot better and faster than me LOL!

So the future of America is to lose our creation skills and improve our consumption skills?

I used to wonder whether the US today is Brittan just before the fall of the Empire, or Rome at a similar point.

Now I know... its Rome.
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
Quote:
On 2010-10-19 11:58, Cyberqat wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-19 11:02, takeachance wrote:

So the future of America is to lose our creation skills and improve our consumption skills?

I used to wonder whether the US today is Brittan just before the fall of the Empire, or Rome at a similar point.

Now I know... its Rome.

I believe that in Britain, the kids also use spell check.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Here in Taiwan, the kids start doing Algebra in the 6th grade.
Math skills are highly regarded. If you try to do any math based trick here it's pretty hard to fly.

I tried the Micheal Weber socks trick on my wife's cousin, he was 10. He said
"They are still just pairs", and began showing me why I was wrong.

Amazing,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1382 Posts

Profile of rowland
I am certain Daryl does this and explains it on one of his early lecture videos. Don't know if he ever released it as an effect though, he also explained it using £5 notes for us in the UK.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5391 Posts

Profile of RNK
I received my copy yesterday. The routine is not complicated and the instructions are very easy. You do make a gimmick, but its simple and VERY devious. This is going to be a very good workers trick. Reset is pretty much instant.

RNK
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1382 Posts

Profile of rowland
After reading the above post it is not the same routine as Daryl's
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
This puzzle has been around a longggggg time. The version I learned years ago took place at a hotel. This version takes place in a restaurant.

The Daryl version just uses a miscount. This new version seemingly uses a gaff.

Funny, but years ago I made up my own gaff to do this.

You can also perform the puzzle part of this without using any bills at all.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9080 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 01:52, rowland wrote:
I am certain Daryl does this and explains it on one of his early lecture videos. Don't know if he ever released it as an effect though, he also explained it using £5 notes for us in the UK.

Inspired by Daryl's original routine 'A Puzzling Bill Vanish' and released with his blessing.
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
Just got this and read through it once. I've known the brain teaser for years and always liked it. Yes, it's a gaff, and easy to make. I have not made it up, but this will not be hard to learn. The handling reads very clean and deliberate. If it helps anyone decide, the displays are on the table. That is, you display the bills very cleanly on the table, so your spectators need to be able to see them.

It's really well thought out and I look forward to working on this one.

FWIW, the instructions are very clear with very nice color photos.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1141 Posts

Profile of caigy
Can this version be demonstrated with UK currency, as we have £1.00 coins, not notes (bills)?

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
https://virya-uk.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Mysterious Puzzle of The Missing Dollar Bill (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL