The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » So what do you do?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Your at an event....

Someone either asks you to have a balloon or blow one up. Then as you work they proceed to take 5 minutes to make the simplest of creations either a weenie dog or a a teddy bear.

They try to hand it to you ... what do you do???

Great you have all the makings of a clown first class....

It is an awkward moment that makes me want to say " Hey Buddy you seen the crap I am making her or what??"

Do people have a pianist slide over so they may show off their rendition of Chopsticks or Twinkle twinkle?

Do these same people, take the pencil out of the hand of artists ad draw a stick figure?

Being nice if fine BUT DAmmmmm this is quite annoying... then whether you react or not they kind of sloth off afterwards.

What am I supposed to say????
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
I would ask them if they are working for BD and proceed to sell them your dvds.
RC
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Yea, that is annoying, and it happens rather often.

Usually I just take whatever it is they've made and make it the center of a rather elaborate hat and give it back to them. That's if I'm in a good mood.

If I'm in a bad mood, that's something else. Usually I'll have them hold on to theirs then I make something that is much nicer. Then I find a kid and ask them which one they want. The kid always chooses mine, and I reply...Keep you day job. (actually it's a little 4 X 6 sign that I carry in my bag-I perform silently).
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Ahhhhh, yesssss. Everyone wants wants to be in the spotlight. I remember it well ... I was table hopping when a guy asks for an un-blown balloon. 15-20 minutes later he re-appears very proudly with a small pregnant doggie and asks if I had seen it done before. My insides were saying, "DUDE - have you been seeing what I've been making tonight?!!!" I kept him in polite conversation while I made the 'Beauty & the Beast' flower inside the glass dome and handed it to a pretty girl. I really don't think it fazed him, though. He seemed as cocky & proud as ever when he walked away.

But then, isn't it better to build people up than to tear them down?

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I've run into this often as a comedian, magician, storyteller and balloon artist. Way back when I routinely included face painting in my party package, I even had a mother offer to show me a "smoother brush technique." It happens.

In '63, my dad took my Little League team to see the Cleveland Indians play for the first time. We met pitcher Ted Abernathy and I boldly asked if I could show him my fast ball. Like a true star, he smiled, caught my 30 MPH zinger and gave me a couple of tips. I'm sure he had better things to do, but I'll never forget that kindness to a dumb kid.

As skilled entertainers, we may be minor (or major) celebrities in their eyes. Its natural for kids and some adults to want to share their personal accomplishments with us. I guess the question is, do you want to be remembered for "Keep your day job" or "That's a pretty good start"?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I have a standard joke for this that I use. I say very good but don't quit your day job, I did and look what happened to me.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Though I don't tell jokes, I have lots of people telling me jokes for my laughology programs.

Even my doctor got in on the act and gave me one, during my last office visit.

My answers and come backs are much different than when I was working comedy clubs.

Harris
member of the don't rain on my parade society
still 2 old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-10-18 12:55, montymagi wrote:
I have a standard joke for this that I use. I say very good but don't quit your day job, I did and look what happened to me.

That's a good line. Funny without being too rude.

All I can say is be polite. Nobody likes a grumpy old balloonist.

Mark
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am a naturally grumpy man, but in a situation like this, I feel I have no option but to praise the efforts of the person and build them up. Knocking them from a position of superiority feels wrong on so many levels.

On the up side it will be obvious to everyone who is the better balloon artist, and I will feel good about myself because I did not put down a person who was only having a bit of fun.
coma185
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of coma185
Laugh and say great job, they are probably just trying to impress you and not trying to be a jerk. Or you can ask them to autograph it for you so you can put it on your mantel to remember this moment forever...
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Offer them a 35 year non-compete and a salary consisting of tips. Sub-contract them to balloon distractions merchant base for $3.00 an hour.

In reality I usually make a joke about market saturation. You can also ask them, 'Which school of latex did you attend? I myself went through a few before getting to balloons. I could show you some of my other work but...' That joke should be reserved for a mature audience. Not really my style but I'm getting sorta tired. Yup, I'm going to bed now.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Okay now I'll share my favorite line:

"Hey, you know I am working this side of the street?"

It all depends, of course a child I would encourage.

But some adults..... they are attention Wh()res and will try to do anything to knock you off your game.

To them: Keep your day job, That the best you got? Now do that about 500 more times and you got a job.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A few kids told me to blow one up for them. They make it into a so called dog. It does not bother me because I want to have a good attitude at my paid job. If the balloon was given to me when they are done, I would easily accept it, telling them "thank you". I would destroy it soon as I get in my car.

If it was not a paid job I would handle it differently. It would depend on the occasion, my mood, and if the lady is trying to flirt with me. Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'd say. "Hey that's great but I wanted a blue one". (With a wink and a smile).

(Montimagi, I love your line!)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » So what do you do?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL